THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

4 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

A previous employee at Mondo (Spencer Hickman) confirmed to me on Facebook that eventually TLW and JPIII are set to be added to Mondo's catalog. Hopefully that's still part of the plan there. I'd love to listen to TLW on vinyl one day.

Hope it's sooner than later and that they do complete scores and not the original soundtrack program....

To be honest, I was surprised not to see a reissue of their JP album for the 30th anniversary. I would buy 1 and 2 actually.

Karol

Well, probably because it's still in print. But I am sure they will promote it again the day this one comes out. Maybe even offer a bundle price?

EDIT: Oh you're referring to the LPs. I still stand by what I said! ;)

Boy, this is coming out at the worst possible time for me. Hopefully it sticks around for a couple months, at least. This one isn't as high a priority for me as the first one, but I'd still like to get it. I'll be interested to see what the track list is.

18 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Boy, this is coming out at the worst possible time for me. Hopefully it sticks around for a couple months, at least. This one isn't as high a priority for me as the first one, but I'd still like to get it. I'll be interested to see what the track list is.

The first one is still available, so I think you're safe.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I guess it will be the occasion, like it was the case for JP1, to include some "Film versions" that they were unable to include in the boxset.

The "Film Versions" in JP could easily have been put in the box set. It's literally a two second difference on "Journey" and an alternate mix on "Dennis"

The best explanation is they fixed "Rescuing Sarah" and needed an excuse to release it.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I guess it will be the occasion, like it was the case for JP1, to include some "Film versions" that they were unable to include in the boxset.

To date I am incapable to hear any difference between Journey to the Island film version and album version.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

To date I am incapable to hear any difference between Journey to the Island film version and album version.

For my part, I dedicate my efforts to comparing alternative versions mainly within Charles Aznavour's catalog. I don't have the patience to do the same for film music!

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Same, but I'm happy to have both! Gives me an excuse to listen to twice as much "Journey to the Island"!

In other news, YES!!!

I suppose it was only a matter of time before The Lost World was rereleased, but I'm so, so happy it took less than a year. Now if only they release Goblet of Fire and rerelease Hook, might as well shut down the forum because people will be too busy listening to CDs to post anything  :D

There's two differences.

For the first, compare 2:34-3:15.  The film version is a different performance where the orchestra is playing at a pretty noticeably faster tempo than the album version.

For the second, check out 7:30ish.  In the album version, the glory of the end of the dinosaurs moment segues pretty quickly into the fast "march" for the jeeps.  In the film version, there's more breathing room so the glorious music gets more time to fully settle down before the jeep march comes in.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's two differences.

For the first, compare 3:05-3:15.  The film version is a different performance where the orchestra is playing at a pretty noticeably faster tempo than the album version.

For the second, check out 7:30ish.  In the album version, the glory of the end of the dinosaurs moment segues pretty quickly into the fast "march" for the jeeps.  In the film version, there's much more breathing room so the glorious music gets more time to fully settle down before the jeep march comes in.

Um...wow, thank, Jay! :)

I could probably notice differences if I listened to them back to back, but considering that they are on different discs my ear can't "remember" the differences when they're played in isolation, if that makes any sense. Of course, it could also be ignorance or lack of practice on my part, lol.

Also, is it safe to assume that the price for this release will be $29.98 USD?

ALSO, just had a random thought...clearly the OST + C&C would not fit on two discs. But what if Mike scrapped the C&C format in favor of getting the OST (plus possible extras) on one disc + everything else on the other disc. Wasn't the Close Encounters release something like that? It would be bizarre, to be sure, but it would "future-proof" the OST, which I thought was to be part of the point of this rerelease. I'm not sure if there are enough film versions on the original album to make that work. I love The Lost World score, but I'm not intimately familiar with it.

You'd be stuck with all the cue combos and the microedited Rescuing Sarah if you just did the OST plus everything else.

Also, if they did this as a 3-disc set to include the remastered OST, you're creating something perhaps going a little outside the idea of doing a more affordable re-release after the pricey box.

What will be interesting is if MM has made this by re-exporting from ProTools (like the first one) but hasn't added any extra material, creating a quandry for many who want to own the 'best' version of these scores. This is why I sincerely hope this is just a straight reissue so that the score is just kept in print.

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Also, if they did this as a 3-disc set to include the remastered OST, you're creating something perhaps going a little outside the idea of doing a more affordable re-release after the pricey box.

I get that, but it seems like slightly tenuous reasoning, because surely the idea should be to present the music in the best way possible, rather than saving people money (or overcharging them). Plus, it's been, what, 7 years since the "box set"?

I say this as someone who's half-broke and may not be able to even afford this rerelease on day one.

Point taken about the cue combos though!!!

EDIT: Whatever Mike Matessino agreed on with the Maestro and LLL is good enough for me, I was just speculating.

7 minutes ago, Brónach said:

what do we want the ost for, and why does it need to be futureproofed? can't the original publishers of that album publish that ost if they please?

"We" don't necessarily want it, but presumably John Williams, and by extension, Mike Matessino, does. And no, I'm not presuming to read the minds of those great men, I'm just going based on what I've read, mostly on this website.

Also, of course the original publishers could republish it...but they haven't seen fit to release a physical copy since the crappy "Dinorama" thing that I believe went out of print decades ago. Hence, thank god for LLL.

EDIT: @Brónach sorry if that came off as aggressive, I guess I'm just getting super emotional about this release :(

11 minutes ago, SpotTheDog said:

EDIT: @Brónach sorry if that came off as aggressive, I guess I'm just getting super emotional about this release :(

you don't read aggresive at all, it's just if the cues in the ost and not compositivelly different it's hard to follow the logic

you know what they could do? a completely different new ost with yes, a new dinorama! :D

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

And removing all the extinct ones.

I can't even...give this person a gold star for literally making me laugh out loud.

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

you don't read aggresive at all, it's just if the cues in the ost and not compositivelly different it's hard to follow the logic

you know what they could do? a completely different new ost with yes, a new dinorama! :D

A completely new OST? Revisionist history? :lol:

Honestly LLL should have a $5 rebate if you mail in your old Dinorama

I think the main thing for some is to have the album assemblies created with the new master.

But any 'expectation' for that was manufactured the moment MM put a remastered album for the first one, as there was room for it as a bonus. I don't think any of the suites contain unique material.

I mean, if you look at other expansions at the moment, we realistically only get the OST assembly if either it has a lot of unique takes or the set itself is sufficiently 'deluxe' that they chuck the OST in for a 'definitive' feel'. I don't think the TLW fits into either of these categories - it's just an expansion that needs two CDs.

And I still think that if this is meant to be a long-term reissue without the 'box set' weight or investment, it's not the time to include a third disc just to include half a dozen edits of the exact same material.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I mean, if you look at other expansions at the moment, we realistically only get the OST assembly if either it has a lot of unique takes or the set itself is sufficiently 'deluxe' that they chuck the OST in for a 'definitive' feel'. I don't think the TLW fits into either of these categories - it's just an expansion that needs two CDs.

Well, I think every Williams release should feel deluxe and definitive, but point taken. Honestly I'm thrilled with whatever we're getting.

Sorry if I derailed this thread a little bit. But a few Dinorama jokes are never amiss.

Just now, Brónach said:

deluxe? nah, normal, infinitely reissued.

"More Music From The Lost World", though, that ones has to be super extra deluxe

Featuring:

(Last joke, I promise. Hopefully I don't get in trouble. But considering there's already been a GIF of someone shaking their butt, I think I'm safe.........)

Does this release increase our chances of getting Jurassic Park III, or is it a total unknown since that one's not by John Williams? I personally never found that score to be too exceptional, but I know a lot of people here love it. Just keep that cowboy song off of it. Honestly I'd rather have Kesha...

6 minutes ago, Brando said:

This alone was worth paying for the reissue. That nice little break between cues is easy on the listening experience.

I listened to that a few times and oddly struggled to like it! I think I'd actually probably liked it more had they had gone the entire way and presented them as separate cues.

4 minutes ago, Brando said:

I can’t stop thinking about how good this album art is. It might be my favorite one.

IMG_9088.jpeg

When you read the booklet, try not to stick the pages together! 💦

6 minutes ago, SpotTheDog said:

Does this release increase our chances of getting Jurassic Park III, or is it a total unknown since that one's not by John Williams? I personally never found that score to be too exceptional, but I know a lot of people here love it. Just keep that cowboy song off of it. Honestly I'd rather have Kesha...

That cowboy song is stupid indeed and doesn't belong within a mile of a Jurassic album.

I like to read it as if they're making the first two now available, that they might be working to up JPIII and then that's all 3 done. But in practice and licensing wise, probably not a lot to go on. I suppose my only private 'concern' has been whether when it comes to other composers' sequel scores, interest somehow wanes on the part of the labels ust because it's not Williams. I really want this tiny thought in my head to be proven spectacularly wrong.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That cowboy song is stupid indeed and doesn't belong within a mile of a Jurassic album.

I like to read it as if they're making the first two now available, that they might be working to up JPIII and then that's all 3 done. But in practice and licensing wise, probably not a lot to go on.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd actually rather have a Giacchino box set than JPIII. But it would only make sense to release them in sequential order. I don't think Jurassic World is Giacchino's best work, but I do have a soft spot for that guy after The Incredibles and "Your Father Would Be Proud."

I'd love a Gia box too - I'd be first in line, but the first two of his are 'out there' complete anyway, and the third one has a pretty heavy OST.

Davis' JP3 still only has the OST and a promo that has a lot of problems and far less of a substitute for a professional release than Gia's leaks are. I think the promo has a version of every film cue, but there are lots of alternate versions/mixes and the sound is completely off. The OST is missing around a half hour of score and what's on the album is so needlessly rearranged - it desperately needs a full release.

And given we've had several Williams expansions whose additional material over their OSTs are miniscule compared to what we don't have from JP3, I think it's a justified request.

So yeah, I really hope this is the last step in the buildup to a 2-CD JP3 later this year, and a closed Jurassic Park 'book' :) 

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd love a Gia box too - I'd be first in line, but the first two of his are 'out there' complete anyway, and the third one has a pretty heavy OST.

Davis' JP3 still only has the OST and a promo that has a lot of problems and far less of a substitute for a professional release than Gia's leaks are.

And given we've had several Williams expansions whose additional material over their OSTs are miniscule compared to what we don't have from JP3, I think it's a justified request.

I'm sure they'll all happen at some point. Has Giacchino ever had an LLL expansion? His Star Trek scores were all expanded by Varese, right?

I'm totally up for giving Davis's JPIII score a second chance if it ever gets a proper rerelease.

Anyway, this would all be icing upon icing upon the cake. I'm so thankful for what we have, and so excited for The Lost World that it was hard to explain to my family why I couldn't focus last night lol.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I know the feeling - I was in the middle of ordering a family takeaway a few years ago when my #1 grail was announced, and explaining my sudden and temporary diversion to buy a CD was.... interesting.

You know what? As someone who used to have a LEGO addiction, this soundtrack CD hobby is very "reasonably" priced.

On 02/08/2023 at 12:11 AM, Holko said:

I don't even see you in the Special Thanks section of the box booklet

I had no involvement at all with the 2016 boxset.  I had already begun assisting Mike before that came out, but he never let on that it was coming, and I learned the same way everybody else did, via the overnight LLL Black Friday announcement.  MV was doing them at midnight his time / 3AM my time back then, so I was sound asleep when the news went up, and learned about it when I woke up Friday morning.  I thought for sure I had to be dreaming when I saw it!  What a tremendous announcement that was.  Suddenly, any score JW has done seemed possible for our specialty label heroes to license.  On top of that, The Lost World is one of my favorite JW scores and one of my favorite scores of all time, so to suddenly find out a proper complete expansion was not only in the works but about to release... I couldn't believe it.  I felt like the news still hadn't fully sunk in by the time the set arrived at my house a week later.  And does anybody remember @ETAndElliot4Ever physically driving to LLL's office and being the first JWFanner to have a copy?  What a time that was.

On 02/08/2023 at 12:11 AM, Holko said:

surely no real assistance would have been needed if they just copypasted the box's master and booklet like ET and CE3K.

The ET and CE3K reissue booklets are actually completely redesigned by Jim Titus.  The liner notes are the same (maybe some minor tweaks), and many of the included pictures and images are the same, but it's a whole new design all around, booklet and discs.  It's amazing that in 5 years, Jim Titus could approach the same score with the same material and just make a better booklet.  He's so great.

The A.I. reissue's booklet was not redesigned, but I was given the opportunity to correct some typos and minor bits of information, so it's slightly improved too.

The 1941 reissue's booklet was exactly the same except for new year on the legal line I think

Listening to "Ludlow's Demise" right now. Damn, this score doesn't need to slap so hard (as the kids say...I think). I'm actually catching some major HP Quidditch Match vibes that never occurred to me before!!

There's no chance that this reissue would omit any content from the 2016 set, is there? [shudder]

He also put "Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World" instead of "The Lost World: Jurassic Park", put "2002" instead of "2001" for the first Harry Potter film, slotted "Attack of the Clones" after "Minority Report" instead of before it, put "2003" instead of "2004" for Azkaban, switched from Roman numerals to regular number for Revenge of the Sith, and spelled Tintin wrong

Then on the final image, he has the correct years for the films, and in the right order, but still spells Tintin wrong, and has several wrong cue names