HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

Question. In the booklet I can't find who sings "Stick With Me" or "The Never Song". Who sung those? I'll admit I skimmed, so I'm sure it mentions it in there somewhere.

Only just started listening to it. Gonna throw it on my phone and listen to it while I'm at work if I can. This is a fantastic release, one I've been waiting on and I am excited to enjoy the music properly! 

1 hour ago, CatastrophicJones said:

Question. In the booklet I can't find who sings "Stick With Me" or "The Never Song". Who sung those? I'll admit I skimmed, so I'm sure it mentions it in there somewhere.

It is unknown who sang those.  None of the paperwork from 1991 had this information.  Mike made every possible attempt to find out, but no leads resulted in any answers. 

We're actually hoping this release might cause those two singers to come out of the woodwork and identify themselves!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It is unknown who sang those.  Mike made every possible attempt to find out and nothing turned up.  We're actually hoping this release might cause those two singers to come out of the woodwork and identify themselves!

Who sings “Childhood”? I’m obsessed with the preview clip.

2 hours ago, jacksparrow900 said:

On another note I also picked up Topaz at the same time and those stereo elements must of been in pristine condition  and untouched for almost 60 years sin

I'd love it if you bumped the Topaz thread with your thoughts to help bring attention to that great release!

Low Below was extremely different from how I imagined it, even re-listening to Ragoz's mockup beforehand for comparison. And I wasn't expecting the chant from the end of Show Us Your Hook to make a surprise cameo at the end, but to a different tempo/melody!

john-williams-wow.gif

Honestly, the songs -even if they're just demo-versions- sound much more accomplished than Thomas And The King, the only real comparable work in Williams' discography. 

It only makes me wonder how powerful Believe, Childhood or Mothers would have eventually become had the production steered towards the original planned musical idea.

15 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Awesome, thanks! She has a beautiful voice.

Anything in the notes about Julie Andrews? You don't have to spoil the actual content for those who don't have the set, just a yes or no will suffice. Thanks

From the Wikipedia article:

Julie Andrews recorded one song, "Childhood", at the Sony Pictures Studios so that Maggie Smith could lip-sync it on set; it was meant to be sung by Granny Wendy to her grandchildren in their bedroom.[26]

Is this Andrews? https://johndadlez.com/MP3/Hook-TheUltimateEdition/3_03_C.mp3

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

16 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Who sings “Childhood”? I’m obsessed with the preview clip.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

That would be the great Bobbi Page.

Low below. Finally we hear those “prostitutes” mentioned in the end credits…

really childhood song is gorgeous. The amateur (but professionally done) version by a member here, (it was spot on in the singing) has slightly different lyrics. Was it an early draft of the song?

spielberg should have had the balls and release the film as a musical. All those songs and reprises make sense musically-thematically and feel choesive to the score…

and it was in the disney musicals renaissance. Maybe people would have had a soft spot for the film then…

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

and it was in the disney musicals renaissance. Maybe people would have had a soft spot for the film then…

Not only that, but according to Wikipedia:

Spielberg began developing Hook in the early 1980s with Walt Disney Productions and Paramount Pictures, which would have followed the Peter Pan storyline seen in the 1924 silent film and 1953 animated Disney film.

It could have literally been a sequel to the Disney animated film.

I think the podcast will discuss it but the final version of the movie wouldn't have been a straight musical, more so a movie with more musical sequences than what the final product was. But that version would've been better.

6 minutes ago, Brando said:

I think the podcast will discuss it but the final version of the movie wouldn't have been a straight musical, more so a movie with more musical sequences than what the final product was. But that version would've been better.

So, like the Disney animated film? And I agree.

True, though I’d still consider them “musicals”; I guess my point was more that Hook would have fit in nicely as a sequel to the animated Peter Pan, because that one was similarly a movie with musical sequences (rather than a musical itself). So Hook being that way, wouldn’t have felt jarring as a sequel. I think the 90s Disney animated films do have more actual songs than the old animated Peter Pan did, but I could be misremembering.

11 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

True, though I’d still consider them “musicals”; I guess my point was more that Hook would have fit in nicely as a sequel to the animated Peter Pan, because that one was similarly a movie with musical sequences (rather than a musical itself). So Hook being that way, wouldn’t have felt jarring as a sequel. I think the 90s Disney animated films do have more actual songs than the old animated Peter Pan did, but I could be misremembering.

Peter Pan has at least six:

Main Title song

You Can Fly

A Pirates Life

Following the Leader

What Made

Your Mother and Mine

Which is more than Mulan, (a few) less than Beauty and the Beast

The Never Song melody sounds very similar to Follow Me from Always. I wonder if there is any relation - didn’t see any mention in my brief perusal of the liner notes. Maybe John just really liked the melody and thought to use it on something better.

Mothers is goofy as hell, and I kinda love it.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Low below. Finally we hear those “prostitutes” mentioned in the end credits…

You can see them in the final movie, but yes it is great that after 32 years the musical number they sang on can finally be heard

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Believe is super beautiful. I was expecting to find all the songs too corny to enjoy, but this one is actually touching (the others are good in their own goofy way). I would much rather have had this make the cut than the songs that did. What could have been!

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

So, like the Disney animated film? And I agree.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah, in the end the 90 disney musicals do not have that many songs either.

Yes, and I suppose it depends on how you classify a musical, like I wouldn't say Peter Pan is a musical like Wizard of Oz or Sound of Music, but a movie with musical segments. 

53 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

🥲 something lovely happened.

i was listening to ‘when you are alone instrumental’ sitting on the floor looking at the window alongside my 15 month old daughter.

Halfway through, i couldnt help it and started singing the lyrics. Then she looks at me, smiles and embraces me resting her little head with mine.

🫶🏼

That's very sweet and adorable!!

Its a shame most of the songs are mostly demos, not sung by the cast or ‘vocal look-alikes’. They cant really be integrated into the score to make an alternate movie with musical scenes siundtrack.

I think if a character sings, the movie is a musical - with the limited exception of if the character sings as part of an in-world band/performance in a very limited capacity in a movie (for instance while the movies Once or A Star Is Born are clearly musicals, Mean Girls would not be since it’s one song as part of a performance).

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

really childhood song is gorgeous. The amateur (but professionally done) version by a member here, (it was spot on in the singing) has slightly different lyrics. Was it an early draft of the song?

Good ears!  The lyrics to "Childhood" were first published in a Leslie Briscusse songbook (this one, I believe), and 6 lines of the song were different in that book, for unknown reasons.

Anyways, it was that book that was used to create that old fan-made recording.

Is it my imagination, or is the alternate Hook chant not in the set? the one where it is just

Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! HOOK!!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

That's not an alternate chant.  It's one layer of vocals and is heard in the track along with all the other vocal lines.

I figured that was what was probably the case, but just thought I would bring it up.

Was that a similar situation with the Take Me Out to the Ballgame source? or was that an actual seperate extension?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Good ears!  The lyrics to "Childhood" were first published in a Leslie Briscusse songbook (this one, I believe), and 5 lines of the song were different in that book, for unknown reasons.

Anyways, it was that book that was used to create that old fan-made recording.

Since the verses are repeated in the song, he should have used both once, so we would have the complete lyrics.

im so accustomed to “cherish, childhood, as any child would” that i miss it.

“Should” kinda implies that some children get robbed of their childhoods, but although true it is not the message of the film. Or maybe it is…it could be also the message of the peter pan original, dont rob children their childhoods making them grow too fast. Both wendy’s father and peter banning tell their older child to grow up….

And maybe julie andrews sang the book version….

BTW, if the film had been an animated disney movie, childhood would have been the perfect end credit song. An unused song whose musical theme was strongly used in the score. Like it happened in pocahontas and hunchback.