New 20 minute audio interview: John Williams At The Movies

Jay

Always good to hear an JW interview with some stimulating questions. The part regarding the Tuk Tuk chase was interesting.

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Always good to hear an JW interview with some stimulating questions. The part regarding the Tuk Tuk chase was interesting.

The interesting part was that John Williams remained quite polite, merely stating, "It's interesting, I'll think about it," in response to the interviewer's suggestion about the chase music being influenced by the vehicle (whether a tuk-tuk or a Mercedes). This contrasts with a more dismissive response like, "I don't think it's that relevant". :lol:

Do you think John Williams would compose distinctly different music for a chase involving a motorcycle, a Tatooine speeder, or a Tuk-Tuk? I doubt it. It depends on several factors, but not solely on the vehicle itself, I believe.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It's pronounced as "Took-Took" not "Tuck -Tuck". Although in my Country and India these are known as Rickshaw!!

19 hours ago, Amer said:

Anyone figured oiy hoe to get an mp3 rip of this?

Right click, view page source, search for mp3 link and save as.

16 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Just view the page source for the direct mp3 link:

https://downloads.ctfassets.net/8usdt07j8s00/6mvtUt2ampOr8CcTfdojoW/7fc1446e3663c98f0801848fd503bdb7/AT-THE-MOVIES-MONDAY.mp3

Don't think that violates the rules, otherwise mods can edit my post 

Oops, beat me to the answer!

1 hour ago, pete said:

I love Williams happily surpised reaction to the mention of Sugarland Express. Ha, that should have been followed up with "Why won't you release it!!?"

I found that cute too. He seemed taken aback that someone remembered that score, much less a specific cue from it.

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

One interesting tidbit is that JW initially wrote three concert arrangements, before he decided to take on the entire score: one for Helena, one for the Nazis, and one for Archimedes and the dial. This seems to confirm @Jay's speculation that "Nazis" on the GEMA cue list is a concert arrangement.

I suspect the latter two were rearranged to form the end credits suite we ultimately received. No doubt both had material that didn't make the final version though.

The snapping snare drum and the rendition of the new Nazi motif on trumpet in “Combat Training” sounds like something JW would put in a concert arrangement.

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

One interesting tidbit is that JW initially wrote three concert arrangements, before he decided to take on the entire score: one for Helena, one for the Nazis, and one for Archimedes and the dial. This seems to confirm @Jay's speculation that "Nazis" on the GEMA cue list is a concert arrangement.

I noticed that and wondered if we have those 3 suits as he first wrote and recorded them.

EDIT: He mentions the famous Laura theme from David Raksin as a reference for Helena's Theme.

The other two concert pieces need to be released as "Nazuite" and "Archisuitees" respectively.