Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

It’s a reference to Brahms’ Academic Festival Overture.

Gaudeamus Igitur :)

38 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Fucking hell yeah!!

It's like Johnny at a concert, "y'all wanna hear some f*cking classics!!!?'

And they just rip into it!!

.. yeah, love that jazzy big band sound with almost overblown trumpets.

The Jungle Chase, when Indy jumps onto the passing Russian jeep and starts throwing fists, and Williams segues from Mutt material into the B phrase of the Raiders March.

53 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Fucking hell yeah!!

It's like Johnny at a concert, "y'all wanna hear some f*cking classics!!!?'

And they just rip into it!!

..it indeed has something ecstatic like in Bernstein's Mambo:

On 27/06/2023 at 6:12 PM, Darth Mulder said:

This is so brilliant!

Another short musical moment, at time 0:50 it's a wasted chance to make a nostalgic theme with some new sub-theme. I would like something more with this orchestration of Raider's March. 

This is now one of my favorite Williams short moments of all time. I almost had goosebumps when it came on in the theater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2:15-2:33

Absolutely sublime. Gorgeous harmonies in the string interlude; the music swells as if rising in anticipation. Then a wistful, almost plaintive horn solo. About as trademark JW as you can get.

2:10 –

This quiet scene transition—from Dagobah to the Millennium Falcon (in the space slug)—always gives me chills. The restless strings and foreboding timpani...

"This is no cave!"

• 3 weeks later...

The distressing chaotic piano strikes in AI's Rouge City and Abandoned In The Woods. I haven't seen this movie in years but I always remember that moment accompanying the shot of David in the car mirror as it drives away.

That moment and cue really stuck out for me too. Haven't seen the movie since its theatrical run...it's one of those films that doesn't show up on TV much.

• 2 weeks later...

What beautiful string writing with the violins and cellos speaking back and forth. When other composers develop ideas, they compose, when Williams does it, he improvises. I hear the jazz pianist in moments like this.

This whole cue demonstrates this in a more obvious way. I can see Williams improvising this whole scene and just deciding to give the middle bit to the strings. It's beautiful. This score needs a new release.

On 25/09/2023 at 10:39 PM, CompleteRecordingSessions said:

I'm not sure how to correctly describe it, but I love the classic Williams heart-pounding 'prelude to third act' music that appears from 2:38-3:07. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I still think it's a great short moment!

Yeah that's good.  I'd describe it as having a feeling of "determination"

The “B” theme bridge at 25:07-25:22 is perfectly sublime.  The way the clusters of notes fall into place with harmonic precision, and then a key change (?) and boom-tissh for the next statement of the “A”’theme… 

It just fits together so perfectly.  It’s so uplifting and satisfying, like it’s the only way the notes could possibly be to bridge the theme.   If you gave me a lifetime, my mind couldn’t conceive of a melodic phrase as satisfying as this. 

Of course the entire 30 minutes are underrated brilliance. 

22 hours ago, Andy said:

The “B” theme bridge at 25:07-24:22 is perfectly sublime.  The way the clusters of notes fall into place with harmonic precision, and then a key change (?) and boom-tissh for the next statement of the “A”’theme… 

It just fits together so perfectly.  It’s so uplifting and satisfying, like it’s the only way the notes could possibly be to bridge the theme.   If you gave me a lifetime, my mind couldn’t conceive of a melodic phrase as satisfying as this. 

Of course the entire 30 minutes are underrated brilliance. 

At the 25:19 mark, the Jurassic Park fanfare automatically began playing in my head.

"The Mission" is the only Amazing Stories episode that I can remember, thanks to those cartoon wheels! But didn't realize it starred pre-fame Kevin Costner and Kiefer Sutherland. Would be fun to watch the series again and jog my memory.

• 2 weeks later...

About 50 seconds from the end of the concert version of Getting Out The Vote with the rousing full bodied performance of the theme punctuated by low brass hits. Just amazing!! I'm still shocked it wasn't on the third Spielberg / Williams compilation. The concert version totally transforms the OST version, which itself is massive fun.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, Damien F said:

I'm still shocked it wasn't on the third Spielberg / Williams compilation. The concert version totally transforms the OST version, which itself is massive fun.

Rights!?

We should have gotten a volume 3 in the early 2000s, and then volume 4 when 3 came out.  Then we could have gotten so many more great concert arrangements from these scores in a studio recording conducted by Williams

• 1 month later...

I've always been a fan of the percussion here. Actually, this whole cue has great percussion.

Also, whatever weird stuff is going on with the bass drum for this part. Very effective.

58 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Anyone a fan of the electric guitar in here? I wonder what inspired Williams to include it.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Anyone a fan of the electric guitar in here? I wonder what inspired Williams to include it.

I recall reading somewhere that it was to give it something of an "urban," or modern touch. It's a neat bit of color I don't mind. Some people get real worked up over it, but some people got real worked up about cowbells in Mahler 6, so whatcha gonna do?

On 16/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

I don't mind it. In fact, I'm curious how JW could have integrated electric guitar more throughout the track.

On 17/11/2023 at 1:17 AM, Schilkeman said:

I recall reading somewhere that it was to give it something of an "urban," or modern touch.

I don't mind it at all. Reminds me of Batman Beyond's score. I would say more urban than modern. The addition of an electric guitar would've sounded modern in the 1960s. lol

On 18/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

I don't mind it at all. Reminds me of Batman Beyond's score. I would say more urban than modern. The addition of an electric guitar would've sounded modern in the 1960s. lol

It's modern compared to orchestral instruments, most of which have been around in one form or another for centuries. But yes, probably more urban.

20 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

how many of us, simply go about our day, forgetting that JW slipped in one of his best action pieces in his famed career half way through a cue.

That's not what happened though:

1: that's 2 cues, combined into one track on the album.

2: the first cue actually occurs after the second cue, in the film/score

As an aside, the album includes an insert for the album track.

On 17/11/2023 at 1:17 AM, Schilkeman said:

It's a neat bit of color I don't mind.

yes-run.gif

😉