John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Sadly I don’t remember any of the music from the Ewok films. Of course I haven’t seen them since they first aired on tv. A lots happened since then.

• 2 weeks later...

we are bringing out the 2-CD premiere of the full length program that Disney and John Powell prepared for digital downloads

Looks like the previous mention of vinyl program was a typo?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

media.nl?id=42225&c=ACCT67745&h=cBTWtSo2

media.nl?id=42226&c=ACCT67745&h=Fx_4FZzg

media.nl?id=42227&c=ACCT67745&h=EftoGWHg

I was actually almost half-considering double dipping based on the hype texts. Then I got to these and said "nah I'm good"

21 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Those covers are so ugly. The deluxe edition text is not even centered on those large banners...

Great that this is being released on CD though but seriously, what is up with cover design these days-

IMG_9862.gif

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

IMG_9862.gif

Haha, not whining about the release but that first cover is a cropped posted (the character at the bottom is cut from under the arms down) with a huge banner placed at the top. Compared to the work of Titus for some LLL releases it's terrible!

Without the banner, the bottom text would appear underneath the bottom character's arms and his gun.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

So, now we have learned that just because a release is exclusively digital, it doesn't mean there won't be a CD release later, especially by a specialty label, even for a Disney title.

image.gif

A 2-CD set of the Obi-Wan Kenobi show would be very illuminating, as far as composer credits go…

To my mind the poster options are fine. They do the job.

The music is the real bonus here, and although I can stream it, I live having a physical release of it, and including "The Adventures of Han" makes it complete to the movie.

Listened to the samples, and of course it sounds amazing to me, as did the digital stream of the Deluxe Edition.

Ordered this on Tuesday, already have the digital release but really excited to be getting a physical copy. As for the artwork I've found both this and Rogue One's soundtracks to be a little lacking, but Intrada can only work with what they're given so I can't complain about it too much. 

52 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

but Intrada can only work with what they're given so I can't complain about it too much. 

Same with LLL but Titus and mostly Goldwasser too consistently create quality artwork. It's funny, if you put that flat Solo digital expansion cover and the corresponding Intrada one side by side, I'd actually say it's a rare improvement, it's zoomed out a bit and has more comfortable headroom, there's more detail and contrast... but then she ruins it with that flat clashing banner with a generic font text that isn't even vertically centered.

image.png?ex=6556804d&is=65440b4d&hm=b9f

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Same with LLL but Titus and mostly Goldwasser too consistently create quality artwork.

Doesn't Titus generally create original/alter artwork for the LLR releases while Intrada usually use the original cover with maybe artwork from a poster as an alternate? 

1 hour ago, Trope said:

I recently ordered LLL's Sabrina, and even though I've never heard that score, seen the film, or know anything about it, the beautiful art style actually compels me to listen to it. The design is sleek and refined and classy, and I'm alerted to start listening out for and appreciating those qualities in the music I'm hearing.

I'm definitely very often compelled to take out and flip through LLL sets when starting a score, even if I don't reread the booklet it just helps put me in the mood for it, I enjoy having them. It's very rare with Varese or Intrada, though there are examples that stand out, like Jaws and Sleepy Hollow (though for the latter I'm using a custom printed wide version of the secondary cover so it's not technically all stock).

9 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Doesn't Titus generally create original/alter artwork for the LLR releases

It's rarely fully original like E.T., mostly he uses the same provided assets but actually creatively with love. He also retouches images he uses in the booklets, modifies them to fit organically into the page layout and his chosen colour scheme, his Behance posts really show how much thought and effort he puts into his art, while the others mostly just slap them in and call it a day.

9 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

while Intrada usually use the original cover with maybe artwork from a poster as an alternate? 

Yep, with added clone tool marks and mirrored bits to cover things up!

1 minute ago, Presto said:

IIRC, Intrada used to use Sikoryak correct?

He's the one in the Jaws booklet so yeah i guess.

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's rarely fully original like E.T., mostly he uses the same provided assets but actually creatively with love. He also retouches images he uses in the booklets, modifies them to fit organically into the page layout and his chosen colour scheme, his Behance posts really show how much thought and effort he puts into his art, while the others mostly just slap them in and call it a day.

E.T is the one I had in mind as being original, you're right about the others being more creative, Sabrina jumps to mind as a recent example. Do you have the link to his Behance? 

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yep, with added clone tool marks and mirrored bits to cover things up!

Never looked close enough to see those, thats a little disappointing to hear. 

I want to say 98% of CDs I get, I never slide the booklet out of the tray.  Solo may or may not be one of them, depending on whether it has an interesting warts-and-all perspective on the messy production of the movie and how it impacted the score.  I suspect it won’t though.

I have a quick look at every speciality booklet but it's rare to read them cover to cover. Certainly not more than once - I wouldn't miss them, tbh.

Honestly, Intrada should just stick with the one cover. The one based on the digital expansion is fine. The other one... maybe zoomed in a little far on Solo, but 'juvenile'? Really?

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Honestly, Intrada should just stick with the one cover. The one based on the digital expansion is fine. The other one... maybe zoomed in a little far on Solo, but 'juvenile'? Really?

My apologies - I used the word juvenile to refer to the artwork/design present on the BACK of the CD, as the user above me had attached an image of it. I just thought the colours (faded red/dark orange, faded yellow, black and dark grey) and image had no sense of visual cohesion and looked liked it had been quickly slapped together without much artistic thought. Perhaps juvenile was an inappropriate word; unprofessional may be a little more accurate to what I meant. And it seems to be more prevalent with Intrada’s designs as compared with LLL, Quartet or even Varèse. Hope that clarifies my meaning!

I read the booklet when I get the cd then it goes on the shelf. Could be scribbled in crayon for all I care. I just want the music. 

This is one of the reasons, even though I prefer physical product, I’m able to embrace digital releases. 

1 hour ago, Trope said:

And it seems to be more prevalent with Intrada’s designs as compared with LLL, Quartet or even Varèse. Hope that clarifies my meaning!

Sure, and tbh I've seen covers from most of the labels at one time or another which on first glance make me raise my eyebrows. When Varese was changing the 'deluxe' banner from top to side they did a few that I probably would've done differently. Actually, my #1 grail back in 2021 has a cover which, upon first seeing it on Varese's site, looked very rough because the text and floating heads didn't seem to merge well.

However, that latter case is probably reflective of something that no doubt makes 20/30 year old releases a lot harder than expanding a score from 5 yearsago - the materials available to the designers and the sort of photoshopping quality back then. I mean, imagine you're working on some iconic Williams expansion, and you discover that all the studio has in terms of imagery is one old film poster that was shit back then, and looks even worse now. What are the designers expected to do to avoid incurring the wrath of discerning consumers?

Of course for Solo I'd expect zero problems in materials to use, and we're just talking about judgements/tastes when it comes to laying things out.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Same with LLL but Titus and mostly Goldwasser too consistently create quality artwork. It's funny, if you put that flat Solo digital expansion cover and the corresponding Intrada one side by side, I'd actually say it's a rare improvement, it's zoomed out a bit and has more comfortable headroom, there's more detail and contrast... but then she ruins it with that flat clashing banner with a generic font text that isn't even vertically centered.

image.png?ex=6556804d&is=65440b4d&hm=b9f

BTW, there's another alt cover on the inside flap. This is taken from the PDF booklet.

image.png

I love a good booklet, if I had my way every digital release would have it too, used to check warmbutterdesign website periodically just to check the few pages they make available for which release and the ones for LLL are usually the better ones. 

This one for Solo though... it ain't it. At least there's an interview (hope it's well integrated).

40 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

BTW, there's another alt cover on the inside flap. This is taken from the PDF booklet.

image.png

I hope they’ve since paid the artist whose posters Disney apparently ripped off.

IMG_9879.jpeg

10 minutes ago, JTW said:

I hope they’ve since paid the artist whose posters Disney apparently ripped off.

IMG_9879.jpeg

Do you think Michael Hussar, who painted ARMY OF DARKNESS, paid FIRE AND ICE artist Frank Frazetta?

Do you think Paul Shipper pays Drew Struzen every time he creates a poster in his style?

The point is that those new pieces of art are homages that pay respect to the art and artist that came before them. The same goes for music and film. 

-Erik-