The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

R.I.P. Topol ... I must admit I've never seen Fiddler On The Roof (not really a big musicals fan), but he's a part of what made Flash Gordon such fun and Columbo in FYEO was one of the great Bond allies.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I must admit I've never seen Fiddler On The Roof

Me neither but the song kinda famous.

I really only know him from his brilliant, chilly performance in LOST HIGHWAY.

But I have to admit -- I thought he had passed years ago, and I even seem to remember reading an obit from way back when. Must have confused it with something else, perhaps the whole murder case thing. A shame, though, he was so good in LOST HIGHWAY, I would have loved to see him in more movies subsequently.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

In Cold Blood (1967) should be on your list.

Saw the film years and years ago, but remember little. I occasionally spin the excellent Q score, though.

23 hours ago, Thor said:

I occasionally spin the excellent Q score, though.

When it comes to Robert Blake, I'm only familiar with this:

And it's brilliant!

Oh wow. Dying from natural causes at 60. :( (Although other sources say "no cause of death was given"). I mostly knew Reddick from Fringe, where he always had a strong, distinct presence.

Sadly, Christopher Gunning passed away yesterday, as reported by his daughter Olivia on Facebook.

Gunning has always been a fav of mine. FIRELIGHT, POLLYANNA, WILD AFRICA, POIROT....all great, but especially the masterpiece that is COLD LAZARUS.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Sadly, Christopher Gunning passed away yesterday, as reported by his daughter Olivia on Facebook.

Gunning has always been a fav of mine. FIRELIGHT, POLLYANNA, WILD AFRICA, POIROT....all great, but especially the masterpiece that is COLD LAZARUS.

Oh that's sad. I like all of the scores you mention. I also remember liking his interpolation of Scarborough Fair for his theme to ITV's Rosemary & Thyme whenever my grandmother watched it on TV.

RIP

On 17/03/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jay said:

I just read about this. So sad, loved him in The Wire. and just saw him in John Wick 4. He was a fascinating presence on screen.

Karol

On 25/03/2023 at 11:48 AM, Thor said:

I highly recommend Gunning's concert works too. He wrote twelve symphonies, several concerti and various other pieces.

And just to annoy Thor, I'll add that Cold Lazarus *really* needs an expanded release.

4 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

I highly recommend Gunning's concert works too. He wrote twelve symphonies, several concerti and various other pieces.

And just to annoy Thor, I'll add that Cold Lazarus *really* needs an expanded release.

Agreed on all points. I'll have to give his work some further listens. I remember Cold Lazarus having some excellent Jerry-esque action music.

Klaus Teuber has died. His 1995 classic Die Siedler von Catan is one of the most successful and influential games in the history of modern tabletop games. It's been 10 years or more since I last played it, but back around 2000 it was the first game that turned me into a regular board gamer as an adult when I spent many long nights playing it with friends.

It's a fun one

Used to be called Settlers of Catan around here.  I never liked that they changed it to just Catan

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Used to be called Settlers of Catan around here.  I never liked that they changed it to just Catan

I didn't even know they'd changed the name until today. Apparently, the original was only called "…von Catan" because Die Siedler (The Settlers) was already claimed by the video game (another classic). But Teuber's own game was already in development when it came out, so apparently neither was influenced by the other.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...Can't Stop The Music ;)but

we'll forgive him that one, because of his sterling work on One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Capricorn One, and Rocky IV.

Capricorn One felt a bit like a TV movie of that time to me. Flew is good, of course. Don't remember much imagery of Rocky IV. You were that impressed, huh?

The scenes Inside the hanger, where the lunar module is, are very nicely lit.

To be fair, Haskell Wexler shot most of ONE FLEW...but Butler got a co-credit.

IV is typical mid-80s power lighting, but it serves the film, well.

So Ian only played the acoustic guitar on two tracks of Edgar Allan Poe and then he became the main (and only) guitarist of the Alan Parsons Project?

Damn. One of the few regulars in my second favourite band of all time, who also continued with AP after Woolfson left and the "Project" moniker was gone. 69 is way too young to go, and I had no idea he had been suffering from dementia. :(

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor, what you say is his best work, for APP?

I think that, as an album, EYE IN THE SKY is hard to beat.

Oooh, good question. I actually think it would be the title track from FREUDIANA (which is an APP album in anything but name). When it blows up big with those Gilmour-ian chords at the end there, I'm floored every time.

On 09/04/2023 at 12:45 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor, what you say is his best work, for APP?

I think that, as an album, EYE IN THE SKY is hard to beat.

The first two albums are still my favorites. It's my wife's favorite band

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

R.I.P. indeed. Tremendously funny performer.