The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

45 minutes ago, scoreman36 said:

Also the audio and video clips that Mike treated us to (which we’re not allowed to talk about) were just incredible. 

you’re allowed to type about them. As long as you don’t use your voice, it’s all cool. 

48 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

- CLIP: 1st SW cue ever recorded, aka "The Swashbucklers" - 6 min

I thought there wasn't any recording session footage from ANH. Or was this just a section of isolated score from the movie? Or an edit of movie clips?

3 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

I assume these will be used for the Documentary?

If there's indeed footage of the first Star Wars session ever, then it needs to be included! It's too historically significant for it to not be!

13 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

That, coupled with the request to not tag our location on social media

Wow, they were really taking it too seriously, weren't they? I can imagine the Kreml went: Where could those damn JWFAN conspirators be at? What secrets could they be disclosing? Let's keep an eye on their social media and tap their phones in case we might find out some important information that might be a danger to our national security. - Geez louise... :D

13 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

Trouble is, try as I might, no one at the bus stop seems to care :D

:lol2:

32 minutes ago, JTW said:

Wow, they were really taking it too seriously, weren't they? I can imagine the Kreml went: Where could those damn JWFAN conspirators be at? What secrets could they be disclosing? Let's keep an eye on their social media and tap their phones in case we might find out some important information that might be a danger to our national security. - Geez louise... :D

I can see why it might look that way, but it's not like that at all. It's just we were very fortunate to be able to have the event in a very special space, and the people who worked there and made it available for the day asked if we could refrain from shouting about it. Sounds all very clandestine, but it's just a case of respecting their wishes. 

Well. that, AND all the national security secrets we discussed at length.

48 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

What, the people who worked at the venue didn't want word spread about how great an event at their venue was?

I mean, not tagging on social media or mentioning anything about the gathering... what did they think you were doing there? :lol: There was me about to suggest the organisers were taking this a tad too seriously.

It's not a place that's normally open to outside hire. If we'd used the upstairs room at the "fiddle and pisspot" pub or somewhere, I'm sure they'd love a nice trip advisor write up about how great their facilities are for small gatherings of film music fanatics :D But the polite request was made, and we all politely obliged. No grumbles. Just a great day.

3 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

I think in Mike's own words (or words to similar effect remembered a bit wrong) these clips were the things he always wishes he could include in releases, but isn't allowed.

Is that 'not allowed' by the composer, or a more complex legal thing?

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is that 'not allowed' by the composer, or a more complex legal thing?

I guess John has final say. So that's probably our answer. Could be both. 

For a minute there, I was imagining you guys somehow laid eyes on the original cut of The Hunt. At this point, I'd give... a lot... to get a chance to see that.

Still sounds utterly fantastic though. I wish I could have been there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Latest podcast episode covers Heidi and Jane Eyre with Mike Matessino and @John Takis!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2023/12/21/heidi-and-jane-eyre-podcast/

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Listening immediately :w00t:

I loved the look into JW's history!

And based on the Heidi samples, I'm completely sure I'll adore it. The main theme already feels like something I've always known, so much so that it almost bothers me, as if I know it but can't remember what it's from. Pretty sure that I've never seen the movie.