The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes I really liked Mike's goose-honking analogy

Yes, he was shall we say... very generous with his description as I'm sure some of the less than "kind" fan reactions to some things can only be annoying. That said great analogy and very kind.

That was such a great discussion @TownerFan, @mahler3, @Jay!

Jay, it was great to hear you and I loved hearing about you going through takes on TLW and your reaction to hearing that very first take and how different it ended up sounding. Super cool and that sounds like a really fun experience! Thank you for mentioning the fact about Adams' Theme from Amistad later being played on the same instrumentation that had been more associated with the African music earlier in the score...I had not noticed that and that is a really cool observation. 

I loved hearing Maurizio's and Tim's commentary on both scores, and always love hearing Mike talk about anything and everything. 

Mike might think people would find some of the technical stuff boring, but I'd totally listen to him talk about any random technical aspects of creating these releases as it is all really interesting to me. 

I'm excited to find out what Mike's non-Williams big project is at the end of the year, and I found Mike's comments about being grateful at the end of the podcast to be really uplifting. 

Now to go listen to TLW, Sabrina and Amistad again...and maybe throw Rosewood in there as well, I haven't given that release some love in a while and damn I didn't realize it had been that long since that one had come out. Where does the time go? 

This was absolutely delightful.  Jay, so nice to hear from you on this one, and I hope you’ll continue.  Thanks to the team for doing this and allowing us all into the clubhouse. 

I love the Lost World’s jungle percussion so much, and your conversation did not disappoint in validating how awesome it is. Someone used the word ferocious. Yeah!  Now I need to seek out Henry Mancini’s Hatari! and I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never listened to Max Steiner’s Kong. So thanks for the suggestions. 

It was revelatory to hear that Mike deduced the percussion was played live with the orchestra. Regarding what we fans have come to call the “percussion only tracks” from the theme park… Am I understanding that the Universal Studios people got a higher generation tape of the six track audio, and were able to isolate or augment the percussion whereas what Mike was given was already more or less baked together?   Or have I got that wrong?   Can we ask, did the desire to include them get discussed, or was it lack of the proper elements or permission from Maestro Williams?  I’d buy another reissue for a third disc of percussion. 

10 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Thank you for mentioning the fact about Adams' Theme from Amistad later being played on the same instrumentation that had been more associated with the African music earlier in the score...I had not noticed that and that is a really cool observation. 

Yes!!!  This podcast came at just the right time to inspire another go around with Amistad. Well done. 

This sounds like a blast. I would so be there if it wasn’t for that pesky Atlantic Ocean thing. How long to swim that??

In all seriousness Legacy of John Williams is killing it and I hope those that can attend have an amazing time!

Bravo @mahler3 and @TownerFan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, GlastoEls said:

En route and excited

I can imagine!

Well, we are too - as a whole family we will embark on a short trip (not too much time for anything else, I'm afraid) to London in 12 hours to attend the Final Fantasy XIV concert at the Hammersmith Apollo today (!), a wish and stunning last-minute ticket purchase of our daughter's. ;)

Alas it's too late for the Williams event. I am sure it was quite something. :)

Had better luck last time w/ the Video Games Live one where, a day before, I was able to attend a screening of Brazil with Terry Gilliam in attendance at the BFI.

Such is life (when it's good)...

3 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

That was an absolutely phenomenal weekend. The event on Saturday was so good. Huge thanks to Maurizio, Tim and guests. Hugh and Eric were just wonderful to listen to. Emilio is always a pleasure, and the things Mike spoke about and shared with us were incredible. I felt genuinely spoilt. It was a great feeling to be in that room with everyone. I met some fantastic folk, and caught up with some lovely friends.

And then the concert on Sunday too! I was just being spoon-fed Williams love with a shovel all weekend 😂 

This, exactly.  

3 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Maybe this is just delusional optimism but I feel like this isn't actually a negative statement - if it was "last two decades" it would be much more sad.

This definitely wasn't a negative statement... about 5 years ago when Mike said it in a podcast or something.

4 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

Why was that? Would've been nice to see something either pics or video from the event.

The official reason given was "to protect the guests' privacy", although I'm not sure how pictures or videos would violate their privacy. The participants were announced publicly well before the event, and they looked happy to be there. I guess it's more to do with the organizers and Mike not wanting any of the photographic/audio/video content presented during the event to be distributed outside of their control.

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

This definitely wasn't a negative statement... about 5 years ago when Mike said it in a podcast or something.

Oh I didn't realize it was 5 years ago; I thought it was a quote from this most recent event

On 23/10/2023 at 3:45 PM, Dr. Rick said:

Why was that? Would've been nice to see something either pics or video from the event.

Maybe an exclusive story is being prepared? Still strange that there is so little response in this forum.

Is this one going to be online like a regular episode, or was it purely an in-person event? (I realise probably only the hosts may know)

I sort of assumed that they'd asked for no photos/details so that things could be 'revealed' on the podcast itself. I'd hope that there aren't actual bits of information that were only told to attendees and are not to be shared, ever, bearing in mind that obviously for some here, attendance was out of the question.

In theory I could've gone to this (I'm only a half hour on the train) but I'm not a fan of going up to London these days and the ticket cost was a little steep for my casual level of fandom.