Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

1 hour ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

I'm just so curious to listen to the NY piano-heavy chase music, sounded really interesting in the movie.

I have a feeling it is in small chunks rather than a continuous cue, at least in the film mix.  There's lots of source music and crowd reactions where the chase music stops.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I have a feeling it is in small chunks rather than a continuous cue, at least in the film mix.  There's lots of source music and crowd reactions where the chase music stops.

Which is ironically (or not) a very 70s way of scoring the scene

34 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I think it's more about how Helena romanticizes her adventurous lifestyle

Interesting angle and I guess it works by the end of the film, even though initially she's overtly cynical and just after money.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

I think it's just JW writing in an idiom he enjoys and that pays homage to the film's inspirations.

Two other interesting elements here: for one thing, this one is not for a love interest, so it's not playing the same role that Marion's and Willie's themes (and maybe "The Austrian Way") play, or fitting into the same slot in the film's mosaic of archetypes.  It's cool to have this melody in the score, and JW does incredible things with it, but its concert form is even more at odds with Helena's character than is Marion's (which could, as noted, plausibly describe Indy's feelings) or Willie's (which could plausibly describe her simplistic view of romance).  Honestly, the script doesn't do much to establish even a familial love for Helena within Indy, something it could have accomplished with another flashback (or even a bit more time spent on the existing flashback to her childhood).  A few nods in that direction could have explained the Golden Age love theme approach for the character.

The second oddity is that this type of theme was clearly Mangold's request, per both his and Williams' claims.  He must have just wanted that kind of Marion-type music in the film, which again makes it weird that he didn't provide any relationship in the story that demands music in that mode.

Months ago someone here (perhaps in jest) theorized that Helena was going to be some sort of reincarnation of Helen of Troy, an idea that kept haunting me into the theater, justifying the musical approach in a way the actual story never did.

Did anyone else feel Jaws 2 intro vibes during the diving scenes (Water Ballet)?

And I thought those eels sounded a bit like mynocks.

And whose theme is this?

10 hours ago, Quppa said:

I love Helena's Theme, but am I the only one who thinks it doesn't really match its namesake? In the concert suite it conveys a sense of longing and romance, but the character in the film evokes neither of those things (just as well, given her relationship to Indy). Of course the theme is extremely versatile and works well integrated into action cues.

Marion's Theme is similar in not really reflecting the strong and tough nature of the character as presented in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but Dan Golding in the Art of the Score podcast (starts at ~30:00) posits a compelling theory that it works if one considers it to represent 'Indiana thinking of Marion'. I don't know if I can think of an explanation like that for Helena's Theme.

(The hosts of UnderScore made similar comments about Marion's theme in this episode (~12:30).)

Before watching the movie I thought the theme sounded really anacronic, after all it's a 1960's woman, but she's photographed and dressed up as woman from the 1930's , and I guess Williams reacted to that, and he's right as usual: fits the movie perfectly. 

@BB-8 I think JW’s use of harp and the title Water Ballet recalls the “Ballet for Divers” from Jaws 2. 

Am I crazy or for the eel reveal, is the pizzicato the same as that of the Raiders tarantulas, but with additional percussion?

I was wondering if anyone knew what was the instrument playing a couple of notes when Hauke and Teddy fall from the wooden bridge into the water. It sounds like an electric guitar which is kinda of weird given it's the only moment there's something like it in the whole movie.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:56 AM, TolkienSS said:

I have to say, sadly, this is one of the worst assembled JW sountracks of his career.

Like, why the hell put the end credits as a "prologue", and cut the actual prologue down to 4 minutes of rerecorded temp?

EXACTLY my thoughts. For as great as Williams is he is the worst when it comes to his album assemblies. He doesn’t know what his fans want. 

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

I was wondering if anyone knew what was the instrument playing a couple of notes when Hauke and Teddy fall from the wooden bridge into the water. It sounds like an electric guitar which is kinda of weird given it's the only moment there's something like it in the whole movie.

Perhaps a dulcimer of some kind?

15 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Is it Don Williams on timps?

Judging by the sound it is.

How can you tell?

Don is indeed credited as a musician, see here.

5 minutes ago, Jilal said:

How can you tell?

By comparing the timp sound on recent Star Wars OST where Don Williams was rather prominent.

There are timp players that stand out and can be identified on recordings, e.g. the former principal timp of the Philharmonia London, Andy Smith.

Wouldn't the sound reflect the type of timpani and recording techniques used rather than the musician playing them?

4 minutes ago, Jilal said:

Wouldn't the sound reflect the type of timpani and recording techniques used rather than the musician playing them?

Not if it's an exceptional player like in the case of Andy Smith who seemed to be adding his own extra thrust no matter who was conducting.

Don Williams is rather impressive I think.

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

I want the timpani music as the Nazi boat shows up alongside the diving boat. That was sublime in the film. 

You mean this?

Just kidding! I agree, that was a pretty cool moment.

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but the only things that really stand out there are two anvil hits.

Not sure if this is what you meant:

43 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Could it be something like this?

I don't think so. Very often in similar scenes John will have a few high-pitched anvil hits exactly like this, I think sometimes paired with high piano clusters (possibly what we're hearing here).

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but the only things that really stand out there are two anvil hits.

Not sure if this is what you meant:

This clip makes it sound like some kind of boat.

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I saw the film a second time in a regular cinema (not imax) and I could hear the music better.

The standout unreleased music are:

-Indy on the Train Roof . At least 4-5 minutes or original action music

-School Relic Room: Mysterious music as Indy shows Helena the dial

-School Relic Room Escape :Action cue

-Indy rides the Horse :70's style action music

-Tuktuk in Tangiers Part 2 :At least 4-5 minutes action music with Raiders march variations

-Archimedes Tomb Part 2: Climactic part of the cue as Voller assembles the dial

-Flight towards the Fissure: Lots of Nazi themes leading to KoTCs music re-use

-Syracuse Battle Part 2: I heard an unrelased version of Archimedes theme in there.

There's probably a lot more I can't remember

did you stay for the end credits? was there different music that plays after the prologue bit in the end credits?

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

School Relic Room: Mysterious music as Indy shows Helena the dial

Isn't this on the album? Second half of Voller Returns.

I'd say at least half of the unreleased music from the New York scenes is temp-tracked material from MR and WOTW.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Is it Don Williams on timps?

Judging by the sound it is.

Pretty sure it’s Don throughout, except for perhaps a few passages that sound like they may be doubled with a second timpanist, likely Greg Goodall, who I believed played all the 2nd timpani on The Rise of Skywalker and The Lost World.

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't think so. Very often in similar scenes John will have a few high-pitched anvil hits exactly like this, I think sometimes paired with high piano clusters (possibly what we're hearing here).

That's exactly what I'm hearing.  Just a high piano cluster and remember it caught my ear as well in the theater too.  For those who saw the film, was it extremely loud (painfully so) or just my theater?

11 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Pretty sure it’s Don throughout, except for perhaps a few passages that sound like they may be doubled with a second timpanist, likely Greg Goodall, who I believed played all the 2nd timpani on The Rise of Skywalker and The Lost World.

It's definitely Don.  Not just the sound but his level of involvement plus Don has done all of Johnny's LA soundtracks.  I was surprised to see Jerry wasn't on this one.  

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Having seen the film for the second time after hearing the album, I have to say I am not very impressed with the 67-minute programme. It's not so much about the stuff that's on the album but more about how much good stuff is missing. Seems like the presentation is micro-edited to hell and back. There's lots missing. Absolutely loved the thriller NYC segment and almost none of it is on the album. The the entire climax from the Archimedes's tomb scene until the end is so good in the film. Not to mention they removed quite a lot of Indy's theme from major sequences. This simply is not sufficient to do this score any justice.

Karol

Couldn’t agree more. I was encouraged by some of the early reviews here saying that the album had all the good stuff and there weren’t any “Holy Grails” missing, but then when I went and saw the film I couldn’t believe how much good stuff was in the opening flashback sequence! We’re missing TONS of great music from this score. I don’t even care if a decent amount of it is re-recordings of music from the original films; it’s still different enough that it would have been nice to have. But even aside from the reused stuff, there were multiple thrilling new action cues which still didn’t make it onto the OST. I really don’t get it.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Also, the first music we hear in the film is the same material we hear in the prologue track starting from 1:07.

It’s similar, but not quite the same. For instance, the film version has a loud chime right on the title card.

14 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

It’s similar, but not quite the same. For instance, the film version has a loud chime right on the title card.

Maybe the OST version is an alternate of the film version? Wouldn't be the first time for Johnny.

I desperately want to hear a clean version of the NYC chase music. It just sounds so different to the rest of the score. I’d be really interested to hear about that choice.

Has anyone pointed out that a fragment of Water Ballet is used in the film for the scene where the planes lose control after breaching the time fissure?

However, I don't think this is OST editing trickery – the same music appears in the film for the eels sequence:

Starting to wonder if the film version of the time fissure scene is all tracked? Not only does the fragment of Spell of the Skull (as they're entering the fissure) sound almost identical to the KOCS recording, but it appears the following scene is tracked with music from Water Ballet.

Your the first one that found this. At least we have some of this cue but probably some of the actual underwater cue is unreleased