Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

12 hours ago, Jay said:

It is, it's the fourth option. 

You are right, I did only read "did not want on CD", not "THIS album"

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You must be young.

55 years young and still rather optimistic

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

It surely is a sign of the end of an era when the CD release of the score to a movie like Indy 5 comes and goes in nearly the blink of an eye and with no marketing. If it weren’t a JW score, I suspect it wouldn’t have even gotten the CD treatment in the first place.

I agree, I suspect the only reason Williams's last few scores have had CDs is some sort of requirement in his contract when a studio hires him that a CD be released.

This is just a guess, of course, does anyone know for sure?

On 20/07/2023 at 12:16 AM, jamesluckard said:

I recommend that anyone who has Twitter tweet the news about the CD selling out so fast to James Mangold:

His Twitter account is: mang0ld

I don't have Twitter, but I asked a friend to do so, and he included the Disney Music Emporium tweet announcing, retroactively, that the CD was limited.

Obviously, all tweets should be friendly and respectful and ask for Mangold's kind help.

I think Mangold might be the only one who can possibly fix this, since John Williams isn't accessible online, and I don't think Disney Music Emporium cares.

Given the movie's box-office performance, I doubt anyone at Disney is taking Mangold's calls right now.

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

It surely is a sign of the end of an era when the CD release of the score to a movie like Indy 5 comes and goes in nearly the blink of an eye and with no marketing. If it weren’t a JW score, I suspect it wouldn’t have even gotten the CD treatment in the first place.

This movie's entire release/reception has felt like the end of an era to me.

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Given the limited nature I'm veering towards being surprised they bothered at all. All it's done is create frustration and anger from those who weren't able to buy it. 

But there's no question - it's signalling the end of even major scores being guaranteed a CD release. I understand it from a publishing perspective - all concerns about pressing plants, managing inventory, etc, are out the window.

38 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Given the movie's box-office performance, I doubt anyone at Disney is taking Mangold's calls right now.

This movie's entire release/reception has felt like the end of an era to me.

Yeah, I had the same kind of feeling.

it's not foolish, it's happened before in the sixties when it all blew up over there. although not exactly in the same context and for the exact same reasons. the consequences could be good and also some bad, i'd be likely happy with the good consequences plus my schadenfreude.

43 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The only hope now is for Disney to sink to an extent that they are forced to break up their holdings and sell off LF...just a fool's hope.

:whistle:

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/movies/2023/07/18/64b6e066ca474181608b45e2.html

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Given the limited nature I'm veering towards being surprised they bothered at all. All it's done is create frustration and anger from those who weren't able to buy it. 

But there's no question - it's signalling the end of even major scores being guaranteed a CD release. I understand it from a publishing perspective - all concerns about pressing plants, managing inventory, etc, are out the window.

So we shall worship the ashes since Disney has failed to pass on the fire.

Someone should write to Skywalker Ranch, George Lucas' people will receive it and who knows, they might forward it to Lucasfilm.

And I'd write to Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Records, Walt Disney Studios, The Kennedy/Marshall Company etc. 

All I can say is I won't be paying to not own a physical CD, regardless if I listen to it digitally. Disney knows this would sell--makes me wonder if they aren't potentially limiting this initial release to instead include it in expanded form as part of a (long awaited) Indiana Jones film scores box set, and thereby saving on additional AFM fees/allowing for more copies of the box to be sold? One can at least dream.

9 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I don't think that's the case at all. Directors at his level aren't really penalized because a single film didn't gross what was hoped. He's one of the top directors in the industry, and has directed huge hits. Disney has an announced Star Wars film in the pipeline with him, and even if it never gets made, which is possible, they want to be in business with him.

There are only a handful of directors with the skills and experience to execute a film on the scale Disney makes these days. Disney can have 100 projects in development, but finding a director is the logjam in the process, because there are so few directors capable of steering a multi-hundred-milllion-dollar ship.

Regardless of the film's box office performance, all signs are that Disney was very happy with how he directed the film. He wasn't replaced, which is itself a small miracle. Look at all the other Lucasfilm projects lately. Out of about a dozen Lucasfilm movies that were announced or went into production since Disney bought it, more than half had their directors fired or replaced. He made it all the way to the end.

Again, all this is to say I truly think contacting Mr. Mangold is the best course of action, and I say this with some experience. :)

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Someone should write to Skywalker Ranch, George Lucas' people will receive it and who knows, they might forward it to Lucasfilm.

And I'd write to Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Records, Walt Disney Studios, The Kennedy/Marshall Company etc. 

George Lucas sold Lucasfilm a number of years ago, and is focused on building his museum in LA. I don't think that would be very useful, unfortunately.

I also don't think individual consumers contacting corporate entities is all that useful, based on a lot of experience trying to do that in the past.

The most useful thing is winning over a champion with clout who will argue for us with the studio. I still think Mr. Mangold would be best. Mr. Williams would be ideal, but that seems unlikely.

Your mention of Kennedy/Marshall makes me think, however, that tweeting to Frank Marshall wouldn't be a bad idea...

Directors and producers don't get all that much fan attention, compared to actors. In my experience, directors and producers can be reachable.

Frank Marshall's Twitter is:

LeDoctor

He tweeted a NYTimes article about Williams's score on July 8.

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

WTF sold out? What is the official comment? Is it coming back?

The official comment from Disney Music Emporium is that it was a limited edition (which they did not announce at the time), it was a retailer exclusive to their website (which they did not announce at the time), and that it sold out in preorders, when the page at the website was taken down a couple of weeks ago.

According to Disney, the CDs preordered there, which can't number more than a couple of hundred in my opinion, are the only ones that will be released.

It's disgusting.

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Fucked up.

Come join our noble quest to get James Mangold and/or Frank Marshall to contact Disney and ask them to press more CDs.

James Mangold Twitter

mang0ld

Frank Marshall Twitter

LeDoctor

:)

If that doesn't work, the album is available in CD quality as FLAC files. Then we just need high res scans of the booklet pages and inlay so everybody can make their own CD.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9507510--indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

I tweeted Frank Marshall.  

Thanks! I don't have a Twitter account, and I know nobody would take an account seriously that's just been set up and has no history, so I've been asking friends with older accounts to tweet Mangold and now Marshall. :)

The key is to be cheerful and polite :)

1 hour ago, jamesluckard said:

George Lucas sold Lucasfilm a number of years ago

Skywalker Ranch is still being operated by his people. I contacted them a couple of years ago and they got back to me.

Mr. Williams would be ideal, but that seems unlikely.

You must’ve missed my previous comment. I’ve contacted John’s agent, it’s up to him if he lets Williams know about the issue. I also asked him to let Kathleen Kennedy or Steven Spielberg or James Mangold know. So fingers crossed. These things take time.

tweeting to Frank Marshall wouldn't be a bad idea...

Already did. The more people does, more are the chances he takes notice and perhaps makes a phone call. 

I like owning rare collector's items.  But I can't even begin to imagine how angry I would feel had I not ordered.  I'll do my best to help spread the good karma around.  This needs to be corrected.  

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

WTF sold out?

Yeah

What is the official comment?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35370-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-disney-records-original-soundtrack-album-no-film-spoilers/&do=findComment&comment=1971138

Is it coming back?

Probably not. 

Alright, guess I gotta either:

A. Burn the current release onto a CD

B. Burn the audio uploads of the (hopefully it happens) score only version that happens.

C. Wait for the La La Land / Intrada release. (Let’s be real, Disney won’t do an expanded release themselves. They’ll send it off to either record.)

2 hours ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

Alright, guess I gotta either:

A. Burn the current release onto a CD

B. Burn the audio uploads of the (hopefully it happens) score only version that happens.

C. Wait for the La La Land / Intrada release. (Let’s be real, Disney won’t do an expanded release themselves. They’ll send it off to either record.)

D. Disney won’t do an expanded release themselves and Disney won't allow another record label to touch them either.

9 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Yep, as Jurassic Shark said, JW probably has it in his contract that he gets to produce the album and select the cues presented and the way they're presented.

I'd be surprised if it were a JW-specific thing for his contract to say he produces the album and choose the presentation. There were cases with RotK and a few Silvestri scores where the studio needed them to make the album before the sessions were finished, so it was clear they didn't have anyone else whose job was to do that.

I guess there's speculation to be had about whether JW has a CD release of some sort in his contract - I can certainly believe that maybe Disney is moving so far away from CDs now (like everyone else is) that they decided to limit the pressing and maybe got the numbers a bit wrong.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I guess there's speculation to be had about whether JW has a CD release of some sort in his contract - I can certainly believe that maybe Disney is moving so far away from CDs now (like everyone else is) that they decided to limit the pressing and maybe got the numbers a bit wrong.

In all likelihood the only way JW's scores are being released on CD moving forward is via expansions, thanks to Mike and the boutique labels.

Maddening that we ended up with a paltry 67 minute OST for DoD. A runtime constrained by the limitations of the CD format; a format it was only available on for a week.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Even if I made it look exactly like the real thing, I would know it wasn't the real thing. Would bug me for the rest of my life.

This!