"John Williams in His Adventure on Earth" - Biography by Tim Greiving

Marian Schedenig

7 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Ha! I have NO memory of posting that, but it's also no surprise. I've been pursuing this (off and on) for about that long...

Really looking forward to it, any idea around how many pages it will be?

Next can you take care of the Star Wars and Indy Expansions for us?😂

1 minute ago, DangerMotif said:

Next can you take care of the Star Wars and Indy Expansions for us?😂

It’s easier getting an interview with John Williams than getting the Star Wars expansions and the DoD released on CD. 

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently Tim Greiving has just announced the first English biography on John Williams, to be released in 2025:

https://timgreiving.com/john-williams-in-his-adventure-on-earth/

Post of the year.

1 hour ago, JTW said:
18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently Tim Greiving has just announced the first English biography on John Williams, to be released in 2025:

https://timgreiving.com/john-williams-in-his-adventure-on-earth/

Post of the year.

I'm certainly getting lots of forum karma points just for seeing @Maestro's tweet (or is it X now) first.

3 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

IMG_5969.jpeg

the-phantom-menace-teaser-also-said-ever

1 hour ago, Brando said:

You'll have to show him the Star Wars Disenchantment thread too while you're at itROTFLMAO

I’m more worried about him seeing the Plagiarism/Homages thread…

Also, I must say, the inclusion of Williams interviews instantly and vastly outweighs any gushing from collaborators. I’m sure all those other sources will have nice things to say, but bring on the beard!

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else thinks the title of the book is too much of an internal soundtrack fan reference? The general public will think it's weird. I'd rather change it into John Williams' Adventure in Music

I am Not sure. It might be an advantage, if the title is not immediately understandable for everyone or even weird. It could make people additionally curious. 

Considering it's the first English language biography and apparently fully authorized, it might have been cool to just throw down the gauntlet and call it "John Williams" 

But I could also see that as cover design with "JOHN WILLlAMS" in big letters above "in His Adventure on Earth" as a subtitle. 

28 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am Not sure. It might be an advantage, if the title is not immediately understandable for everyone or even weird. It could make people additionally curious. 

Or it could put them off buying. And the title has nothing about music in it, so it could just as well be about John Williams the actor. But I guess in this day and age it will have a long under-title to explain everything. 

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

But I could also see that as cover design with "JOHN WILLlAMS" in big letters above "in His Adventure on Earth" as a subtitle. 

With a picture of JW flying on a bicycle. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody else thinks the title of the book is too much of an internal soundtrack fan reference? The general public will think it's weird. I'd rather change it into John Williams' Adventure in Music

It’s a bit of an internal reference, yes, but at least “Adventure on Earth” is referencing something. If you’re going to call it “Adventure in Music,” you might as well drop “Adventure” altogether and call it something else entirely. “Adventure in Music” sounds like it’s trying to be a reference to something, but it’s not as clear.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

“Adventure in Music” sounds like it’s trying to be a reference to something, but it’s not as clear.

I think most of those who get the Adventures on Earth reference will also get that Adventure in Music is derived from it.

Anyway, the best title is obviously:

John Williams - The Antediluvian

Or:

Catch me if you Can: Tim Greiving's relentless quest to get an interview with John Williams 

3 hours ago, Ricard said:

The book's title is a reference to the film's original title, which was used for its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival and retained for the novelization published shortly after the release. The name of the OST track is based on the original title.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/f/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-in-his-adventure-on-earth/

61m0FpC5r0L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Very interesting - that totally gives the impression of being the setup for an "...and his adventures in space" series :D

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

The book's title is a reference to the film's original title, which was used for its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival and retained for the novelization published shortly after the release. The name of the OST track is based on the original title.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/f/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-in-his-adventure-on-earth/

61m0FpC5r0L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Very cool, I did not know that.

Karol

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The book Torn Music has a similarly in-jokey title which no one else will understand and it's great. I think though, that if you're worrying about this book not being on every family bookshelf in the world because its title is a tad cultish, you may be worrying about the wrong things.

From the perspective of how things happen behind the scenes, how he got to score various films, it could be really interesting. And that would be my one wish for this publication - please let it be insightful and a look into his processes and interactions with filmmakers and not just essentially a 300-page choir-preach on how JW is the greatest composer. Torn Music is a great book and it doesn't (a) kiss anyone's ass or (b) shy away from some pretty damning personal composer/filmmaker quotes.

34 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The book Torn Music has a similarly in-jokey title which no one else will understand and it's great.

But that title also works if you don't understand the reference. 

John Williams in his Adventure on Earth just sounds like he's Mr. Bean or some other alien.

34 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

if you're worrying about this book not being on every family bookshelf in the world because its title is a tad cultish, you may be worrying about the wrong things

He's a famous man and I believe such a book would have a larger appeal if marketed like that.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

John Williams in his Adventure on Earth just sounds like he's Mr. Bean or some other alien.

Well, he is certainly not of this world. 😀

Karol

Sounds great.

A few more suggestions:

Star Williams 

John Williams Strikes Back

Return of John Williams 

The Phantom Williams 

Attack of John Williams 

Revenge of John Williams 

John Williams Awakens 

The Last John Williams 

The Rise of John Williams

Solo Williams 

Rogue Williams

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

He’s always been more attuned towards the details of what made SW filmmaking special, more so than most actors. 

Yes, and he clearly appreciates Williams. 

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

i hope he's never found out

Too bad he liked your post...

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

John Williams Park

After conferring with other members of the forum I think we'll settle on Close Encounters with John Williams.