THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

On 08/08/2023 at 1:33 PM, crumbs said:

Wow, that never occurred to me how similar these two scenarios were! You're totally right. The build-up to the Pteranodon sequence is eerily similar to the film edit of Ripples, and it might also have been created editorially!

Listen to the drums from 0:47 in T-Rex Rescue. The ones in JP3 sound very similar - going in pairs and then a triple. I'm not sure if it's the same recording but I think if you took just the drums and did a bit of looping you'd get at least an approximation.

Does depend on the scoring team having access to not only the JP sessions but stems of those sessions.

3 hours ago, SpotTheDog said:

Just snagged a copy, I think. It might not arrive until late August/early September, but it will be worth it!  :D

Yeah it kinda sucks that they’re not even shipping til the 18th.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

He did later put together a concert arrangement of the film's themes, which he performed in concerts many times, recorded for the second Spielberg/Williams album, and recorded again at the sessions for The Lost World.

For The Lost World, the OST album track "The Lost World" is the music he wrote and recorded for the end credits.  Of course, it's a de facto concert arrangement, since it basically functions as the concert arrangement of the major new theme,

Wait what so the end credits is just a concert piece and the concert piece is the real end credits?

It all definitely works better as on the LLL - TLW as an overture to get you hyped for the adventure and TFJP sending you off gently

23 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Oh my god that Rescuing Sarah Alternate is so weird

23 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Wow! It really is messing with my brain to hear this track like that haha

23 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

It sounds like a mockup. I don't understand.

22 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I love that Rescuing Sarah alternate - digging that guitar. I'm still going to await reports before considering a purchase, I think.

Anybody else have any commentary on any of the samples?

1 hour ago, JTW said:

I don’t know if this has already been published here. It’s by MV, on LLL’s Facebook page.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18099-the-official-la-la-land-records-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1973965

On 08/08/2023 at 10:13 PM, Quppa said:

Australian shipping report:

Screen Archives Entertainment: $16 (with a big red warning that lost packages won't be replaced unless one pays for express shipping)

Intrada: $20

La-La Land: $21.80

Ordered with Hot Fuzz to ameliorate the cost. Too bad the Australian dollar is in the doldrums.

Did you also include the extra $2 per item LaLaLand adds to cover duty/tax (or whatever) to send to Australia?

I'm loving the slightly different mix in the samples. Trombones are much harder right, bassoons are much harder left, timp isn't quite centered, and the "animal sounds" synth is more left than it was.

Just now, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I'm loving the slightly different mix in the samples. Trombones are much harder right, bassoons are much harder left, timp isn't quite centered, and the "animal sounds" synth is more left than it was.

Thankfully it wasn't done by Varése Sarabande. 

19 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Varese does alright every now and then. The scream box set was really good.

As opposed to City Hall and Mouse Hunt. Considering how expensive buying soundtrack CDs are, they should do well every time. 

31 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Just in case any one was wondering about the difference between The Lost World box set release and the new one.  This is "Rescuing Sarah".  New mix on top, box set mix on bottom.

image.png

Going to play any tracks on your radio show soon?

41 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Just in case any one was wondering about the difference between The Lost World box set release and the new one.  This is "Rescuing Sarah".  New mix on top, box set mix on bottom.

image.png

How do you have access to this?

You're asking a guy who hosts a film score podcast how he got a film score CD early?

Or are you asking about the software he used to compare them?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're asking a guy who hosts a film score podcast how he got a film score CD early?

Or are you asking about the software he used to compare them?

I don't know about his podcast. What's it called?

But also the software, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Cinematic Sound Radio

csr-logo-2023-Neon-jul21-23-c.thumb.png.

7 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

He links to his show in his signature block.  If you're on mobile and don't see signatures under every post, I think if you click on his username there's a way to see his signature? 

Anyway, it's here:

https://www.cinematicsound.net/

8 minutes ago, Signals said:

You shouldn't quote posts before they are finished! :nono:

Besides, you can always use this to view an image from a data: URL:

https://codebeautify.org/base64-to-image-converter

40 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

The podcast has been linked above (thanks to everyone for doing so)

To answer your other question, I use Adobe Audition's Match Loudness function to get the read out for each track. I also use Match Loudness to finalize the mix of my podcast to make sure it adheres to the industry's podcast loudness standards.