THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

2 hours ago, Jay said:

On the latest episode of "The Legacy Of John Williams", Mike Matessino, @TownerFan, @mahler3 and myself discuss the expanded reissue of The Lost World

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2023/09/01/the-lost-world-amistad-podcast/

Great podcast, nice to finally hear your voice @Jay

I'm thinking of buying this new re-master. Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to buy it considering postal fees and how to avoid possible extra postal fees on recieving the discs. Is it best just to order straight from Lalaland or perhaps some other retailer. I live in Scotland. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

On the latest episode of "The Legacy Of John Williams", Mike Matessino, @TownerFan, @mahler3 and myself discuss the expanded reissue of The Lost World

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2023/09/01/the-lost-world-amistad-podcast/

Always a pleasure to listen to Maurizio, Tim, Mike and now Jay speaking!

Thanks a lot for this! Great podcast!

My order finally arrived. No damages to any cases. I've not yet had any issues ordering directly from LLL->EU.

That being said... while TLW looks brand spanking new, HOT FUZZ discs look like someone already had them in rotation... hmm...

11 minutes ago, filip said:

That being said... while TLW looks brand spanking new, HOT FUZZ discs look like someone already had them in rotation... hmm...

You mean curved lines on the disc? I often experience that from LLL.

I just picked this up the other day. It was the stupid 3D diorama that so captivated me as a 7 year old boy. I like to think that started my love for scores, but to be honest, I can't actually remember when that began. But I have a soft spot for dumb marketing stunts like that.

I just woke up to a dream that my new LOST WORLD CD was not playing properly and was making a thud like sound on my player. When I took the cd out it was nearly cracked in two!

Thankfully a dream:lol:

PS. Its expected to arrive today!

Can anyone from Europe who ordered this release from LLL directly, tell me how much he paid in total (incl. customs)?

I just bought the last copy from Musicboxrecords.

It has become so expensive to order from there with shipping.

I paid 55,95 euros!:(

35 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Including Customs 62,94 Euro (if my math i correct)

Oh!! I wouldn't have thought it was even more expensive!

Then I guess MusicBoxRecords is my only option right now..

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Oh!! I wouldn't have thought it was even more expensive!

Then I guess MusicBoxRecords is my only option right now..

Thanks!

Intermezzomedia can maybe work out a bit cheaper than MBR, but not by much.

Just now, Holko said:

Intermezzomedia can maybe work out a bit cheaper than MBR, but not by much.

The Italian company, right? Yes, the shipping was much cheaper, but the only time I ordered from them, I had a problem with the shipping company they used.

(they didn't find me at the house, and it was way too far to go myself and get the cd. I think the other retailers use more versatile shipping companies which have branch offices nearer to me)

Intermezzomedia used UPS for me. You can re-arrange the delivery to a pickup point.

I ordered tlw and sabrina for 87.80€ so each was 43.90€. 

Only tlw would have costed 48.90€

though they have yet to ship it. It seems sabrina was out of stock…

I'm sure this has been discussed before, as it appears on the 2016 release as well, but what's with the strange hiss at 2:41 in Ludlow's Speech?

Additionally, on the alternate of Rescuing Sarah, there's a one-off electronic sounding blip that happens around 1:00, just before the piccolo/flute accents. I assume this is something present in the original recording... Perhaps some synthesiser/mic going haywire during the first recording session?

Loving this release so far aside from those minor issues. I'm currently trying to find the time to sit down and listen to LLL JP1 and 2 back-to-back for the ultimate musical experience.

19 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Intermezzomedia used UPS for me. You can re-arrange the delivery to a pickup point.

I ordered tlw and sabrina for 87.80€ so each was 43.90€. 

Only tlw would have costed 48.90€

though they have yet to ship it. It seems sabrina was out of stock…

I got an email from fedex. Shipping soon!

I haven't opened my set as but I was wondering what is the final word on the overall sound quality on this release? I'm pretty impressed with the previous set,ofcourse. So is it more punchier and brighter this time? Somebody, somewhere mentioned the volume is slightly reduced.

I think it’s a little punchier. It’s certainly a drier mix master. I’m not sure I necessarily prefer it over the 2016 edition though. They both sound great to me.

Edited to reflect the fact that the mix is the same between LLL albums.

This re-release prompted me to visit the 2016 set. The action music in TLW is top tier JW action music. Everything on the island and the entire San Diego finale. Just JW during on all cylinders and a great sound mix with plenty of reverb and great clarity. TLW has such a rich and deep sound.

One thing I immediately noticed is the loud stage noise in To The Island has been further reduced.

It was very loud on the OST, toned back in the 2016, and now basically inaudible in 2023.

OST:

2016 LLL:

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

This re-release prompted me to visit the 2016 set. The action music in TLW is top tier JW action music. Everything on the island and the entire San Diego finale. Just JW during on all cylinders and a great sound mix with plenty of reverb and great clarity. TLW has such a rich and deep sound.

If this its less reverby and by that folks mean that it is more drier than whats Iam hoping for. More crisp sound eh?

5 hours ago, Amer said:

If this its less reverby and by that folks mean that it is more drier than whats Iam hoping for. More crisp sound eh?

Aye. Much crisper and drier.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the reason for the new mix? Was a different source used, or was MM or perhaps JW unhappy with the previous mix?

The Lost World was not remixed for this reissue (or the 2016 edition).  Both editions are sourced from 6-track mixes Shawn Murphy made in 1997 and saved onto 1" analog tape.  That tape was transferred to digital in 2016 for the box set, and Mike reopened his original 2016 Pro Tools session to create the 2023 reissue.

The 2023 reissue is, therefore, a remaster, and not a remix.  Meaning he had the same mix as before, but chose to master it slightly differently this time than he did in 2016.  If you want to listen to him speak directly about the types of things he did different this time compared to 2016, and why, he describes the process on the most recent episode of The Legacy of John Williams podcast, here.

AI, CE3K, and ET are all straight reissues.  Meaning it's literally the same identical discs pressed again.  They just got new catalog numbers and minor changes to their booklets and disc art.

Jurassic Park's 2022 reissue is the same situation as the 2023 The Lost World reissue: Mike reopened his 2016 Pro Tools session and mastered it differently this time.  And of course both expanded reissues have additional music that was not included in 2016 box set, and also both main programs have had various edit points between takes redone and other such minor improvements that are sort of in the realm of remastering too I suppose.

But both editions feature the original Shawn Murphy film mixes.  The original multitrack was not transferred for either project.