A Disney director tried - and failed - to use an AI Hans Zimmer to create a soundtrack

Koray Savas

I don't really see the relevance of explicitly comparing Zimmer to A.I. generated music. You could ask A.I. to compose a score in the style of Williams and I bet it would fool some people. (a few years ago several people thought a track by, I think, Jablonsky, was by Williams).

And yes, 7/10 is not what I'd called 'failed'. That's what you get on the second draft, before he's addressed some notes, surely?

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To paraphrase Mr. Spock: "A.I. could create the sounds, but not the meaning. It would be composing in gibberish".

I saw something that said "A.I. could save music from humans"

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

People like this director keep saying we have nothing to fear on A.I., but an A.I. trained with Zimmer music managed to produce 7/10 results. And if the technology improves and A.I. begins to write more, better music that is indistinguishable than those written by humans?

In 10 years, we won't have human composers anymore, just robots trained with older scores to provide the music producers want to their A.I.-starring and A.I.-written blockbusters.

No! A24 won't do that me!

Would be interesting to hear the actual track at some point. Or an A.I.'s attempt at any composer's style, to be honest. This whole thing is both scary and endlessly fascinating at the same time.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to the film itself (i.e. THE CREATOR), per the article. Will be seeing it on Monday. The combo of post-apocalypse, Gareth Edwards, Hans Zimmer and A.I. is very tantalizing indeed. Some of my favourite things all at once.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Would be interesting to hear the actual track at some point. Or an A.I.'s attempt at any composer's style, to be honest. This whole thing is both scary and endlessly fascinating at the same time.

The scary part of the linked article was the mention of companies that make AI-generated music. These already exist?? Who are they selling to? I can’t believe there’s already a market for them. 

If a composer has an identifiable style, it's probably not that hard for an AI to imitate their sound. In a matter of a few years, a well trained AI could approximate, for example, an Alan Silvestri action score or a "spooky" Danny Elfman score or maybe even Williams' Star Wars stylistics.

Of course, it wouldn't be as good as the real thing written by the actual composers. But since when Hollywood producers are looking for quality? If they can pay an AI company less than half of what they'd pay for recording an actual Silvestri, Elfman or Williams score, then why not? 

The future of art as a sustainable way of earning a living is bleak.

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've been listening to some A.I. versions of pop songs (Freddie Mercury sings "Skyfall"; Frank Sinatra sings "Billie Jean" - I shit you, not!). 

They either sound exactly like they are - bad copies - or utterly superfluous and devoid of any human element. The sad thing is that a lot of people will listen to these, and think "Ooh, that's good", when, in reality, they are abominations.

It seems that some people are far more willing to engage with all things artificial, than they are with anything human.

So I shouldn't send you AI Phil Collins singing Calling All Ststion songs then? ;)

8 hours ago, Bayesian said:

The scary part of the linked article was the mention of companies that make AI-generated music. These already exist?? Who are they selling to? I can’t believe there’s already a market for them. 

I’d say the necessity for temp music editors is about to be over. 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So.. Zimmer writes music, which is ripped-off by A.I., and is then sold back to Zimmer, who releases it, only for it to be ripped off by A I., again :lol:

It’s the circle of life. ;)

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

That was a very disappointing read considering he used Desplat and Giacchino for his previous films. 

Nah. It was a relief that they weren't involved this time.

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

And as much as I dislike Zimmer’s output, it’s a slap in the face to him as well.

....and vice versa, this was a tremendous treat. I've been hoping for Edwards and Zimmer to get together on a project.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

... as much as I dislike Zimmer’s output, it’s a slap in the face to him as well.

It could be seen as an example of how easy it is to copy (some would say "emulate") Zimmer's work.

I'd like to hear some A.I. "emulate" "The Asteroid Field', or "The Battle Of Both".

There are certain scores I have listened to which I think soon will easily be able to be replicated by AI.

For me Powell’s Mars Needs Moms just sounds so generically Powell. The end credits are easily something AI could have come up with if you’d fed hours of Powell’s music through it.

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

That was a very disappointing read considering he used Desplat and Giacchino for his previous films. 

And as much as I dislike Zimmer’s output, it’s a slap in the face to him as well.

I really don't understand this thinking because he never has worked with one composer more than once. Hell, given his first movie (Monsters) was composed by Jon Hopkins, I'd argue Zimmer is more appropriate for his initial sensibilities than the two he's more known for working with on pre-existing franchises.

But then I suppose an immediate response would be "well why didn't he offer The Creator to him then?" :p

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I really don't understand this thinking because he never has worked with one composer more than once. Hell, given his first movie (Monsters) was composed by Jon Hopkins, I'd argue Zimmer is more appropriate for his initial sensibilities than the two he's more known for working with on pre-existing franchises.

But then I suppose an immediate response would be "well why didn't he offer The Creator to him then?" :p

What does that have to do with AI being a slap in the face?

7 minutes ago, Signals said:

What does that have to do with AI being a slap in the face?

It's a little confusingly worded then if his post was about disrespecting his previous collaborators in attempting to use AI, since it more just looked like the fact he didn't work with them at all is the issue.

I did miss the comment about it disrespecting Zimmer too, so I definitely had a previous conversation yesterday still in the brain when writing this. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Stark said:

I can’t believe nobody has pondered the possibilities of using AI to create new Horner music. It shouldn’t be hard!

Maybe that’s what Franglen did to create Avatar 2…