HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Holko said:

One tiny weird thing - why is the Last Crusade-esque synth zither called a cimbalom?

Maybe it was notated that way in the score?

"Synth Cimbalom" ala "Synth boo-bams" from SW.

I've been listening to the set quite a bit, aiming at crafting an expanded version of my previous playlist, and the first thing that struck me is a complete absence of any audio issues, anomalies, dodgy edits or anything to indicate that this wasn't taken from proper tapes, transferred by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

In an ideal world at least discs 1 and 2 would have been the initial expansion - the full score, perfect sound and a few bonuses. I can easily see disc 3 being part of a future reissue (i.e. this one) for those who want literally everything that was conceived for the project. However, the entire thing is beautifully assembled, edited and basically nothing whatsoever to nitpick. That's rare, even in MM land. (and please read that the right way... even Mike makes the odd mistake or debatable choice here and there... he's not perfect, but this set? Nothing.)

Score wise I never found the bedroom sequences, nor the middle Neverland scenes (pre-battle) that interesting so I dropped much of that. My focus is on having the initial scenes, the journey, and the Ultimate War in truly definitive quality and presentation. My score presentation is just a smidge over a CD of music.

In terms of the bonus/musical material, I found that the instrumental When You're Alone was very enjoyable. Plus I put the film version of Never Feast, the extended Prologue, and a concert version of The Banquet from one of the SS/JW re-recordings at the end of the playlist, plus the instrumental Pirate Sequence at a suitable place.

The other musical-oriented/vocal bits on disc 3... sorry peeps (and producers) but they're not my thing at all. I know most here love them and will consider disc 3 sacred and completely sacriligious to meddle with (and I do congratulate the presentation, curation and attention this disc received - truly outstanding), but partly as I'm not into musicals and partly my listening habits of not keeping entire bonus sections (unless said bonus section is three cues long) it's not really an addition that interested me. The flawless presentation of the full intended score is the draw for me here.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I've been listening to the set quite a bit, aiming at crafting an expanded version of my previous playlist, and the first thing that struck me is a complete absence of any audio issues, anomalies, dodgy edits or anything to indicate that this wasn't taken from proper tapes, transferred by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

In an ideal world at least discs 1 and 2 would have been the initial expansion - the full score, perfect sound and a few bonuses. I can easily see disc 3 being part of a future reissue (i.e. this one) for those who want literally everything that was conceived for the project. However, the entire thing is beautifully assembled, edited and basically nothing whatsoever to nitpick. That's rare, even in MM land. (and please read that the right way... even Mike makes the odd mistake or debatable choice here and there... he's not perfect*, but this set? Nothing.)

Score wise I never found the bedroom sequences, nor the middle Neverland scenes (pre-battle) that interesting so I dropped much of that. My focus is on having the initial scenes, the journey, and the Ultimate War in truly definitive quality and presentation. My score presentation is just a smidge over a CD of music.

In terms of the bonus/musical material, I found that the instrumental When You're Alone was very enjoyable. Plus I put the film version of Never Feast, the extended Prologue, and a concert version of The Banquet from one of the SS/JW re-recordings at the end of the playlist, plus the instrumental Pirate Sequence at a suitable place.

The other musical-oriented/vocal bits on disc 3... sorry peeps (and producers) but they're not my thing at all. I know most here love them and will consider disc 3 sacred and completely sacriligious to meddle with (and I do congratulate the presentation, curation and attention this disc received - truly outstanding), but partly as I'm not into musicals and partly my listening habits of not keeping entire bonus sections (unless said bonus section is three cues long) it's not really an addition that interested me. The flawless presentation of the full intended score is the draw for me here.

* I'm strongly against the popular mindset that even the most accomplished composer/producer is infallible and that drawing attention to flaws or 'room for improvement' is somehow being negative or against the grain. There have been mastering/editorial things that Mike has done that I didn't like, but I recognise that as an overall restorer/researcher/producer/editor package he's done magic we will never understand to make a score listenable.

So, where is the playlist?

On 23/12/2023 at 3:37 AM, Holko said:

One tiny weird thing - why is the Last Crusade-esque synth zither called a cimbalom?

image.png

image.png

a complete absence of any audio issues, anomalies, dodgy edits or anything

basically nothing whatsoever to nitpick. That's rare, even in MM land.

Hehe, hold my beer: When You're Alone, 2:03-2:07, the left channel oversaturates a bit.

3 hours ago, Presto said:

So, where is the playlist?

01 - Hook Prologue
02 - The Bedroom
03 - Hook Returns To Kensington
04 - Hook Is Back
05 - Forgotten How To Fly
06 - The Arrival Of Tink
07 - The Flight To Neverland
08 - Pirate Town And Presenting The Hook
09 - Pirate Sequence
10 - The Face Of Pan
11 - Hook's Epiphany
12 - Smee's Plan
13 - The Banquet
14 - The Never-Feast
15 - The Flying Sequence
16 - You Are The Pan
17 - Tink Grows Up
18 - The Ultimate War
19 - Death Of Rufio
20 - The Sword Fight And The End Of Hook
21 - Farewell Neverland
22 - Hook End Credits And Exit Music
23 - When You're Alone (Instrumental)
24 - The Never-Feast (Film Version)
25 - Hook Prologue (Extended Version)
26 - The Banquet (Concert)

01 - Hook Prologue
02 - The Bedroom
03 - Hook Returns To Kensington
04 - Hook Is Back
05 - Forgotten How To Fly
06 - The Arrival Of Tink
07 - The Flight To Neverland
08 - Pirate Town And Presenting The Hook
09 - Pirate Sequence
10 - The Face Of Pan
11 - Hook's Epiphany
12 - Smee's Plan
13 - The Banquet
14 - The Never-Feast
15 - The Flying Sequence
16 - You Are The Pan
17 - Tink Grows Up
18 - The Ultimate War
19 - Death Of Rufio
20 - The Sword Fight And The End Of Hook
21 - Farewell Neverland
22 - Hook End Credits And Exit Music
23 - When You're Alone (Instrumental)
24 - The Never-Feast (Film Version)
25 - Hook Prologue (Extended Version)
26 - The Banquet (Concert)

I like it! But no “Lost Boy Chase”?

OK, I’ve listened to Discs 3 and 1 (in that order) and it’s been quite a journey. Given I’ve never heard any of the boots nor the 2012 release, so much of it is new to me and it really underlines - proves, even - what I’ve known for years: that the score to Hook is absolutely one of JW’s genuinely great achievements. Mike, Jay, John et al. undoubtedly deserve enormous gratitude for doing such a great job on this for us fans, for posterity and for analysts and historians of film music.

I’m very much looking forward to @Jay’s spreadsheet which will help me appreciate the details of various versions etc. when it lands - as I am sure it will!

I appreciate that some purists want every track in the main score presentation to be the film version, but JW’s desire to have the original version of The Lost Boy Chase on disc 1 and the film version shunted to disc 3 is absolutely right. That synth percussion is a bit embarrassing.

Sonically, it’s very good, but then - to be fair - the original recordings were already very high quality, judging by the OST. Only criticism is that the bass is a bit too overbearing on my system - disc 1, track 20, 2:20 - 2:26 is particularly bad. Amusingly, I was also pulling a face at the reverb on We Don’t Wanna, and went back to the OST… only to find it was worse on there! My bad.

The recording dates given are more interesting than usual - on 26th October 1991, Armin Steiner was recording some stuff at the Newman Scoring Stage whilst Shawn Murphy was also recording other stuff at Westside Studios. Is that the only time there’s ever been such overlap for a JW score? The final recording date was a mere four weeks before the film’s release - is this also a JW record?

Also, the 2001 recording dates for Childhood, Mothers and Believe (which I assume are tracks 3, 15 & 19 on disc 3), referenced on p13 of the main booklet, aren’t listed. Are they unknown?

Still looking forward to listening to disc 2!

Mark

I had to re-read it just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. It's wild that they were down to the wire recording the finishing touches on this score with only a little over a month to go for certain recording dates.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

music from two separate rooms is combined in the track "Pick 'Em Up"

Which room was the percussion track recorded in?

58 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Goodness me, I feel tired just reading that list.

TL;DR:

The trailer cue, the entire score, Take Me Out To The Ball Game, and the film version of Banning Back Home were recorded by Murphy at Sony. 

The 1991 songs, Smee Concertina, school play piano, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and first version of Banning Back Home were recorded by Steiner at Fox.

35 minutes ago, Brando said:

I had to re-read it just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. It's wild that they were down to the wire recording the finishing touches on this score with only a little over a month to go for certain recording dates.

The final recording day for Always was only 2 1/2 weeks before that film's opening date, so Hook is an improvement in that regard!

33 minutes ago, Presto said:

Which room was the percussion track recorded in?

The song was recorded by Steiner at Fox.  The score cue (also heard clean as "The Never Band" on Disc 3) was recorded by Murphy at Sony

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Not as bad as Always!

The song was recorded by Steiner.  The score cue (also heard clean as "The Never Band" on Disc 3) was recorded by Murphy

Okay, I was asking because the percussion sort of reminded me of this cue from Ben-Hur which was also recorded in Culver City.

I find myself greatly preferring Believe to its film score counterpart, which turns it into a more generic "wonder theme".  The slight changes in accompaniment and melody make it a lot more heartfelt and with a layer of melancholy even.  

Reminds me of Remembering Emilie from War Horse or even parts of Schindler's List 

17 hours ago, Holko said:

Ah yes, thanks to you and @John Takis for the confirmation. So it could have been a weak/badly named sample on the keyboard, or they changed their minds while recording?

I suppose I disagree with your premise that it doesn't sound like a cimbalom (or at least a decent approximation of one). It sounds sufficiently "cimbalom-ish" to my ear. The actual instrument has quite a wide range extending into the higher registers.

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I find myself greatly preferring Believe to its film score counterpart, which turns it into a more generic "wonder theme". 

Nah, you did Luke.

14 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I find myself greatly preferring Believe to its film score counterpart, which turns it into a more generic "wonder theme".  The slight changes in accompaniment and melody make it a lot more heartfelt and with a layer of melancholy even.  

Reminds me of Remembering Emilie from War Horse or even parts of Schindler's List 

I don't think of the score theme as more generic, but I DO wish we'd gotten some of those song progressions in iterations of the theme for sure.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hook Part 1 podcast is up, featuring Mike Matessino, @TownerFan, and @mahler3

🔴 NEW PODCAST EPISODE! 🎙
RETURN TO NEVERLAND: 'HOOK - THE ULTIMATE EDITION' PODCAST SPECIAL (Part 1)
The Legacy of John Williams presents a multi-part podcast special dedicated to HOOK – THE ULTIMATE EDITION, a 3-CD set of John Williams’ magnificent score for the 1991 film directed by Steven Spielberg, now available from La-La Land Records.
In Part One, soundtrack producer Mike Matessino sits down to talk about the genesis of Steven Spielberg’s 1991 fantasy epic, its place within the director’s filmography and the long history of how HOOK almost became a musical, while also addressing how it sits in the canon of the Steven Spielberg/John Williams collaboration; Matessino also talks about his friendship with lyricist Leslie Bricusse, the years-in-the-making process of assembling and producing the new set and his own personal journey to bring it to life with the utmost level of care and detail that such music always deserved.

Looking forward to listening to this!

Listening to the "When You're Alone (instrumental version)", I was wondering where this came from ? Is it just a previously unreleased concert version? 

Can't get enough of this Ultimate Edition!

I've listened to the first two discs (planning to listen to Disc 3 tonight) - and I'm reading the liner notes for each CD after the first listen.

As everyone else has said, magnificent release of one of the best soundtracks ever.

Couple of comments/nitpicks.

The liner notes (which are awesome) say that both versions of Banning Back Home are longer than the actual scene in the film. That's not correct, is it? The film version is featured without edits in the final film, as far as I know. (The album version, which I always liked less than the film version, is FANTASTIC in its extended form! Great solos!)

Thinking about how to create my own playlist while keeping the Film Presentation & Musical Album concept, I'm thinking that the five additional tracks at the end of Disc 2 could be incorporated into the Disc 3 program, right? I'm assuming the only reason they are not there is because lack of space, but I think it would be a more logical place. After all, Disc 3 contains a lot of alternates, so the "Additional Music" belongs there, I think. 

Okay, the journey has begun. Full confession: I never read the novel or saw the 2003 movie. Something to correct someday.

1-01.        I don’t like the correct speed. The wrong one really sounded beautiful. I also don’t like the viola extension, but the double bass writing is astonishing. As for Filmtracks claiming it’s the best 90 seconds JW ever wrote: no way.

1-02.        Such a lovely piano cue. I thought the kids’ song was going to be unbearable, but I really didn’t dislike it at all today, though as I recall, the OST hardly had any pause between tracks 2 and 3, which I really liked.

1-03.        So is this the version based on the film stem rip on the previous LLL?

1-04.        I feel like meditating or embracing the whole world. The ending is so gorgeous, but the final horn should have been dialled out…

1-05.        …unless it had segued right into The Bedroom. No wonder John Takis was so impressed with this cue as a child. The track ends with a rather long silence.

1-06.        I love the ‘classical-esque’ ending to this track.

1-07.        When You’re Alone. What a theme.

1-08.        The violins are so fantastic in this cue.

1-09.        As is the clarity in this release overall, you really hear every single thing the orchestra does. I still wish that G minor ending could have gone on longer, though: it would have been wonderful to hear JW elaborate on the violin possibilities.

1-10.        Although it’s a very lovely track, I wouldn’t have minded it in the bonus section as it’s in a way redundant.

1-11.        No comments.

1-12.        I never understood the idea behind the writing at the very beginning before Tink appears. It’s… weird and not in tune with what the scene required, I think. But then her theme comes. And how glorious it is. I’ll be whistling it all day. Can’t Spielberg do a Tinker Bell film/trilogy?

1-13.        At first I wondered why this wasn’t part of track 12, but now it clicked. It’s perfect this way.

1-14.        I want to see that Slicing the Hand scene. Funny that the booklet doesn’t mention it in the otherwise magnificent score analysis. And I LOVE 2:54!!!

1-15.        And I also love 0:30.

That’s it for now, more later.

1 hour ago, oierem said:

Thinking about how to create my own playlist while keeping the Film Presentation & Musical Album concept, I'm thinking that the five additional tracks at the end of Disc 2 could be incorporated into the Disc 3 program, right?

On 06/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, John Takis said:

2-11. Hook Prologue 1:25
3-01. We Don’t Wanna Grow Up * 1:52
2-12. Banning Back Home (Extended Version) 4:24
3-02. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen 1:10
3-03. Childhood * 3:54
3-04. When You’re Alone – Moira’s Lullaby * :46
3-05. The Stories Are True (Alternate) 2:24
3-06. The Arrival Of Tink (Alternate) 3:35
3-07. The Flight To Neverland (Alternate) 2:33
3-08. Low Below – Pirate Sequence * 4:58
3-09. Hook’s Entrance (Alternate) 2:42
2-13. From Mermaids To Lost Boys 4:26
3-10. The Lost Boy Chase (Alternate) 3:34

2-14. The Face Of Pan (Choral Version) 2:43
3-11. The Never Song * 2:04
3-12. The Never-Band 1:20
3-13. The Never-Feast 4:42
3-14. When You’re Alone (Instrumental) 3:19
3-15. Mothers * 2:26
3-16. Stick With Me * 2:00
3-17. Take Me Out To The Ball Game 2:18
3-18. Remembering Childhood 11:06
3-19. Believe * 3:01
2-15. The Ultimate War 7:54
3-20. Farewell Neverland (Short Version / Alternate) 6:54
3-21. Hook Exit Music (Alternate) 1:48

Just listened to the main programme all the way through while writing essay for a course. This score can sometimes be much of muchness, sort of like Temple of Doom, but it is so rich in enthusiasm and themes that I just cannot hate it. Attending recording sessions must have been quite something for everyone involved. I cannot think of many scores that put so much effort into each cue (part of the reason why it might be so exhausting sometimes). Lovely presentation, I can see myself revisiting this work much more frequently now.

On a side note, I have only heard the 2012 release once. I didn't like it from the outset, especially the film stem bits which really bothered me (and compared to some of you, I am tone deaf!). It is the only time in the LLL run I thought the ball has been dropped and the product was subpar, save maybe for the packaging. But, I suppose, all is forgiven and it will be now merely an interesting footnote in the history of the film and its music.

Karol

1-16. The Childhood and Low Below variations are so wonderful.

1-17. Wonder why this had to be its own track, but I’m still amazed at all the ways you can interpret those Childhood statements: loss of childhood, inner child trying to break free etc. The Jolly Roger theme is still gorgeous too, as is the woodwind writing in general. And Tink, of course. I wonder why nobody ever set that tune to lyrics. It seems to be crying out for its own text. But I will say that, as great the ending is, it’s really unfortunate that the cue still ends in that long horn note that’s so clearly meant to overlap with the mermaid beginning. It goes nowhere now.

1-18. That Believe quote is so great and another instance of a moment when the film just should have been paused so that JW could write more of it.

1-19. I hate you, Rufio, die already. Boil him, mash him, put him into stew. Its own track again, which kind of works, but it really shouldn’t be separated from the chase music, the two are clearly meant to go together.

1-20. Perfect music for the insufferable brats it underscores. And another fantastic Childhood statement and implications of it at the end.

1-21. Another great cue, but I feel more than ever that the concert arrangement is just vastly superior. I know there was no time and all here, but it feels like music someone demanded to be pasted over a scene that was ultimately too short and not even that good. Or rather, the movie does not deserve this music in the slightest. And I didn’t really hear that this is Pan’s theme, as the liner notes say.

1-22. Whoever moved this to the bonus section in 2012 had no taste. I love the cellos and clarinets here.

1-23. Again, could have been one track with 22, and again, the concert piece is so much better.

1-24. Yeah, next. Urgh. I’m going to keep the overlays from the 2012 set and get rid of this one. Does JW do the whistling here, too?

1-25. I don’t think the music for Maggie disrupting the lesson is appropriate. And she does it so well.

1-26. Is this the worst and most disgustingly awful and unforgivable scene JW ever scored? Though the sound is still above and beyond the previous releases, I still think the cue sounds a bit weird, as if recorded in another, smaller room. And again, I feel like a song is just waiting to burst out of this music.

1-27. The harp writing in the beginning is out of this world. I was really surprised at the cut at 2:14, though, and remember it being very clunky in the film. Is this how it was recorded or meant to play? I don’t really like it, my ideal version would be the insert followed by everything as recorded. Love how Pan’s theme makes its entrance here, though.

1-28. Amber Scott. Just… breathtaking. I LOVE how imperfectly perfect she sings here. Did JW do the recording with her, as with Margot Kidder? I wonder why or if she never did more with her singing. This is so wonderfully innocent and mournful.

1-29. And I HATE that stupid kid.

More in two days. GOOD NIGHT JWFAN!!!!!!!

On 29/12/2023 at 6:10 AM, Levraibond said:

Listening to the "When You're Alone (instrumental version)", I was wondering where this came from ? Is it just a previously unreleased concert version? 

Can't get enough of this Ultimate Edition!

I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was for playback for Amber Scott to sing with. The synth/bells sound playing the melody is so full and clear, easy to hear, maybe it's to aid with singing on pitch/at the right time. 

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Hook-movie.com's Mike interview is now up:

Confirmation that the Julie Andrews version of Childhood does exist, but that she declined to have it included.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah that and his explanation helps with the pain of not having it.

Yeah, if it was spoken word, it feels like it would be a better fit for a documentary (think the one on the AUJ doc, with the alternate versions and rehearsals of Misty Mountains)