Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

All I'm saying is that, to me, having 80-year old pretend to be 30-something is not any bigger stretch than having that 80-year old be an action star of a major summer blockbuster. I'll have to suspend my disbelief in any case. If the film is bad, this will be the least of its issues.

Karol

On 04/05/2023 at 2:55 PM, Edmilson said:

To be honest, very few blockbusters manage to be better than any of the first 3 Indys. Certainly none of this decade.

I think if the "human" story works well and has some genuinely poignant gravitas, it may crack the top 3.  But, that is a big "if."  

12 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I think there's a fundamental flaw that makes these late-coming sequels, like Indy 5 (or 4 for that matter) a tough sell, and a tough nut to crack in terms of quality.

The problem is, people think "Oh, well Indy 5 should logically be set in the 60's, it's been 40 years since Raiders after all!" and "OF COURSE Indy acts differently, he's an old man now, people change". But Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the character of Indians Jones were conceived as a homage to 1940's serials...a certain kind of story with a certain kind of character set in a certain time period. Its in the DNA of the films. But Indy's not real person, and when you take him out of the 1940's milieu, make him an old man, and try to logically construct a story around the same character decades later, it becomes...well, something different. It's no longer what it was created to be, and that, for me anyway, is a big issue that prevents these films from truly being great, no matter how well crafted the story may be. Everyone loves Indy so everyone wants more films, but the reality is, the ship sailed when Lucas and Spielberg went decades without making a movie. We can't have another Indy movie. Not really, it's impossible. Indy's not a retired old man any more than Han Solo is a dead-beat Dad.  Or Luke Skywalker is a washed up hermit. Or Jean-Luc Picard is a sad, bitter pensioner. Those characters as, we fell in love with them, are immortal. They belong to a place and time, one that doesn't exist except when we revisit it.

An ageing Indy in the 1960's is a wholly different thing, and is only tangentially related to what came before because it shares the name Indiana Jones. It doesn't mean it can't be entertaining to watch, but too long has passed and it's not quite the genuine article.  

Or you fundamentally misunderstood what Indy was.

34 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Nah, pretty sure I get it. And if I need reminding, I’ll watch one of the three Indy movies again. ;) 

Though you’ve swerved into the truth, “was” being the operative word. Even Harrison Ford knows that.

11 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Nah, pretty sure I get it. And if I need reminding, I’ll watch one of the three Indy movies again. ;) 

Or you can listen to the IndyCast interview with Mike Matessino.

http://theindycast.com/the-magic-of-john-williams-57/

30 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Yes.

Like with practically all movie franchises, they need to be remade, to educate people properly how they *really* always felt about them, and how they only ever need to feel about them.

We need those brave new films.

1 minute ago, TolkienSS said:

Yes.

Like with practically all movie franchises, they need to be remade, to educate people properly how they *really* always felt about them, and how they only ever need to feel about them.

We need those brave new films.

Now you are fundamentally misunderstanding my post.

3 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Ha! Well, yes, JW’s scores are another thing entirely…

He talks about his thoughts on Indy 5, and how it could work without needing to have tons (or any) action, because Indiana Jones isn't just an action adventure franchise.

There you go, fundamentally misunderstanding again. ;)

I feel like Indiana Jones is mostly Harrison Ford Jackass so him being old doesn't really detract that much.  Plinkett's point about Indiana Jones being a generic self insert badass you look up to is dead wrong.  Most of the films are him eating shit and getting out by the skin of his teeth

I believe Mangold has gone on record saying that whilst the opening will absolutely be taking influence from those adventure pulp serials of old, he's shifting his influence to something more contemporary (by a matter of few decades from that original influence I mean), so the influences are actually growing up with the series. That is the more natural and organic way to approach something like this I think, because you're mirroring how things literally did evolve in terms of media

Also quite clever to make one of the central conceits of the film mirror the meta angst towards whether something like Indiana Jones works in the modern world. Just as Indy has to find his place in this strange new world, so does this new Indiana Jones film in the current state of society. From Mangold's comments he seems to be leaning more towards 'yes, those style of films and heroes are still valuable perhaps even more so now' which I think is lovely and compellingly introspective compared to pretending like nothing changed and just smashing that nostalgia button over and over to milk every fond memory of the originals dry

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The problem is, people think "Oh, well Indy 5 should logically be set in the 60's, it's been 40 years since Raiders after all!"

That's Hollywood math. 1936 + 40 = 1976.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Mangold is a serious director. I have complete faith in him. He’s no JJ.

Mangold is a serious director. And a good one.

Spielberg is also a serious director. And a better one than Mangold. He’s no JJ. I had complete faith in him. And yet he directed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

So…we’ll see.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Worked wonders for The Last Jedi.

Would you prefer the sausage-factory, design-by-committee approach of Marvel films, where directors have effectively zero creative control?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Would you prefer the sausage-factory, design-by-committee approach of Marvel films, where directors have effectively zero creative control?

Spoken with the confidence of someone who hasn't seen Guardians 3 yet.

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

At least The Last Jedi dared to try something different and not just repeat things over again and use 'member berries to tell the story.

People always say this and I have no idea why because all The Last Jedi ever does is act like it's going to do something new, interesting and different before backing away from it and resuming with the boring old status quo. Are your expectations not subverted???

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

only for JJ to return and almost undo all the character work he did for no good reason.

As a huge Luke fan, I was at first quite upset with his portrayal and especially the ending. Upon further viewings and some reflection, I actually have accepted what occurred and can accept that Luke wasn't perfect.

I think based on how TFA ended there weren't really many options as to how to deal with Luke. Based on his MIA status for 99% of the film, either he is dead, imprisoned or has chosen exile. So if anyone has an issue with TLJ Luke they should take it up with the creatives behind TFA. I was initially up in arms about it but some perspective over the past few years has helped. It's certainly a more interesting story thread than Rose and Finn go to Monte Canto and meet a lispy dude with a feeble name.

Anyway, back to Indy.

9 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i thought this was in 1999, or in 1983, or 1980 for some

Yeah, I'm sure there are many people who felt that way in those years. I doubt it was half of the audience in '80 or '83, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to that in '99. After all, a lot of people who'd grown up with Star Wars were adults by then and their tastes had no doubt changed and become more demanding.

On 07/05/2023 at 2:47 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

An ageing Indy in the 1960's is a wholly different thing, and is only tangentially related to what came before because it shares the name Indiana Jones. It doesn't mean it can't be entertaining to watch, but too long has passed and it's not quite the genuine article.  

I mostly think its just sad.

Han Solo or Luke Skywalker can at least be shown as sad old men, because the overall tenor of that series is a little bit more serious-minded. But Indiana Jones? That's the last place to explore the pains of aging. So seeing Indy, the suave adventurer, reduced to an elderly Emeritus, is just...sad.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's the last place to explore the pains of aging. So seeing Indy, the suave adventurer, reduced to an elderly Emeritus, is just...sad.

Having an entire movie about the "suave adventurer" work through daddy issues would be just as sad on that analysis--yet the movie works perfectly.  It is all about execution.  

I don't quite agree with that as I do think there are valid ways to tell a story about an old indiana Jones. That said, I think a lot of the character's appeal is directly tied to the fact that he's smart, but also tough and unrelenting while still managing to be smooth with the ladies. It's pure male fantasy and as such the majority of his stories should absolutely take place when he's still relatively young and vital.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

So if anyone has an issue with TLJ Luke they should take it up with the creatives behind TFA.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Han Solo or Luke Skywalker can at least be shown as sad old men, because the overall tenor of that series is a little bit more serious-minded.

Yub nub!

31 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

So seeing Indy, the suave adventurer, reduced to an elderly Emeritus, is just...sad.

He's only 10-20 something years younger than he was in Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I mostly think its just sad.

Han Solo or Luke Skywalker can at least be shown as sad old men, because the overall tenor of that series is a little bit more serious-minded. But Indiana Jones? That's the last place to explore the pains of aging. So seeing Indy, the suave adventurer, reduced to an elderly Emeritus, is just...sad.

back at the beginning of raiders, he had already been reduced to a grave robber, which is sadder