The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

I hope they'll do an episode about Home Alone one day, though that seems unlikely given no expansion is coming anymore. It would be great to hear Mike talk about those scores in-depth, just for completeness' sake. There's something about these episodes that you just can't get in writing.

I have no superlatives to add the have not already been written. I agree and +1 each of them!

I have to say that running while listening to this and the other similar podcast episodes is a complete joy. I could listen to these conversations for hours and hours. I learn a lot and my appreciation for the music increase exponentially from an already impossibly high level. 

Thank you Legacy team!

Thank you! I'll echo the above - this are just so interesting! 

And a quick question. Michael said something like "We passed the idea onto John's people and they said yes."

How many people does Williams have working for him doing admin, scheduling, fanning him and feeding him grapes in summer, etc.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Says it cannot be found.

Guess I need to wait until the tapes are located ;)

Indeed, it was like a lecture on soundtrack producing, with a story that's gripping the whole way through.

Once we'd discovered it had been in the works since 2016 I'd wondered whether there had been some really difficult problem with tapes or something so it's really interesting to know that SS's approval for the songs (and of course all the permissions stuff) was the main holdup once they'd managed to get the proper elements together and form the main program.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Starting to listen now. Given what he's just said about the Home Alone and original Hook expansion, I get the impression that Didier Deutsch is about to get a lot of shit here for not allowing Mike to work on it.

Heard the part now. My god. I mean... really? Really, DD?

Also wonder why John's people only want MM to do the audio. Wondering in a very positive way, of course, but just curious who made the call and why.

It’s a fascinating listen, for sure. It sounds like MM (and other people, I’m sure) deserves a long service medal for the long slog of getting the UE over the finish line.

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, which cue starts playing at 57:20? It’s a great choice - Maurizio has just mentioned Indiana Jones and then a very Indy-like brassy cue starts. Nice.

A few more thoughts:

What a wonderful, WONDERFUL episode! My God. His best one to date?

Thank you to Maurizio for thanking Mike in our name. Can he read minds?

I wonder why the whole 'Sony no longer deals with labels' episode wasn't mentioned.

I also wonder, and am kind of awed, why Mike was able to speak so candidly about Mr Perfect, whose interview with Jay in 2012 clearly showed he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Here's hoping nobody will tell him or he might stop the podcast.

Didn't he say that Hedwigs Theme alone had 100+ performance edits? It could be anything from the last 20 years with easy access to digital recording and editing for all studios, and the budget to do it.

32 minutes ago, Holko said:

Didn't he say that Hedwigs Theme alone had 100+ performance edits?

The final performance edit of Hedwig's Theme has 38 intercuts between 14 different takes 

Also did I hear correctly that DD wanted to do E.T. by just combining tracks from the existing releases as an approximate expansion? (that's not even possible, is it? Isn't there a film version that wasn't on prior releases?) Why on earth would anyone want to do it that way, as opposed to going to the tapes, if not pure laziness?

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Why on earth would anyone want to do it that way, as opposed to going to the tapes, if not pure laziness?

Now, I wouldn't know Didier Deutsch if I tripped over him in the street, but - from what very little I do know - I think you answered your own question right there.

On another note (and I should point out I was listening to the episode a bit in the background, so might have missed something), I wonder if MM's references to getting clearance from Julie Andrews for The Sound of Music might be related to the fact that the JA performance of Childhood isn't on the (otherwise stupendous) Hook UE? Have we had confirmation that the recording is lost, or could it be that JA didn't give permission for it to be used?

Mark

Adding a fresh DD question to the discussion.

If JW was happy with Home Alone and 1941, why would he have insisted on keeping so many OST tracks for 2012 Hook? Or possibly in other words, what did DD give him to listen to that made him so adamant about stepping in?

15 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Now, I wouldn't know Didier Deutsch if I tripped over him in the street, but - from what very little I do know - I think you answered your own question right there.

On reflection I wondered whether it was anything along the lines Mike alluded to about him not having the required access to some of Universal's materials (Universal asking him 'who's this guy trying to access stuff?') and therefore the only way he's going to be able to have an E.T. release under his name is using existing album elements.

Hence an alternative to laziness could be trying to do a project outside of his department/job description, and pretending it's a good option to pitch to the suits, who thankfully were having none of it.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Or possibly in other words, what did DD give him to listen to that made him so adamant about stepping in?

With the mention of him wanting to do E.T. cobbled together from previous releases, are you sure he even tried to do anything other than grabbing whatever from the OST?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

With the mention of him wanting to do E.T. cobbled together from previous releases, are you sure he even tried to do anything other than grabbing whatever from the OST?

Dunno, I imagine he must have wanted to add SOMETHING to make the expanded release expanded.