Jay's Score Information Collection (John Williams Edition)

Jay

Nice! Thank you for finally collecting these invaluable resources! Can't even begin to imagine how many work hours are in the full set.

Do you take correction or clarification requests?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

People on here and FSM have been asking for a while if I was going to collect links to my Film Score Google Docs together in one place, and I've finally decided to just do it as a forum post here on JWFan.  

You did it! Thanks!! This is really useful!!!

I think I was one of those people. ;)

Great assembly, Jay. For someone who has zero interest in expansions, what's missing or the technical minutia details of these things -- is there anything worthwhile to read? Like interpretations of what the music does in the film, for example?

No.

OK. Regardless, I can see the value of such resources for anyone analyzing a film and score in an academic setting, for example (which I did myself back in the mid 2000s), i.e. analysis in its original form -- the separation of elements -- before one assembles the data into interpretations and context.

Was just reading through ROTJ...I keep forgetting that Joseph Williams wrote Lapti Nek. I always imagine John Williams getting his funk on and busting that one out, but it was his son. 

I guess we don't know if John or Joseph composed the two Ewok drum cues? 

2 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I guess we don't know if John or Joseph composed the two Ewok drum cues? 

That's a great question.  I don't know the answer.

Gosh, looking through the Indy docs makes me want an expansions even more.

Thanks @Jay! Phenomenal work. I've done breakdowns of a score or two for my own purposes, so I know how much work goes into this stuff. Awesome.

Few years ago I started to save most of those links offline, just in case. Nice to see them all packed together. Seems like I missed a few. Thanks, Jay! Btw, link of Mr. Chips part 1 is not working. :(

Oh Wow! I echo everyone else's sentiments of praise. Great resource. Not enough thankyou emojis.  👍

As a side note, can someone help me with accessing the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade google docs please? Every time I click on the links I only get the same doc for Raiders. I'm assuming all three films are on the one doc but I don't know how to access them past Raiders (scrolling doesn't help). Thanks.

2 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

can someone help me with accessing the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade google docs please? Every time I click on the links I only get the same doc for Raiders. I'm assuming all three films are on the one doc but I don't know how to access them past Raiders (scrolling doesn't help). Thanks.

There are tabs to pick from at the bottom (desktop) or top (mobile)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

There are tabs to pick from at the bottom (desktop) or top (mobile)

smh. I feel like an idiot.

There they were, sitting there staring at me, and yet I looked and looked. I had looked straight at them and didn't even register. It's moments like these that make me wonder how I ever earned two uni degrees.

Thank you @Jay for explaining it to me, and sorry you had to do that.

Peter

Ever since the CE3K set came out, there was unsurity what exactly for example 2-19 Dark Side of the Moon was (the full sequence of cues is longer than in the film, but there's an unscored quote mentioing the Dark Side of the Moon), but here you mention it twice: Once you say its entire duration (1:34) is 14M1X Outstrech Extension, but once you write its final 43 seconds are 5m1AB Wild Mountain Tone Alt, a wild recording that is an alternate of The Vision from 1-01 Main Title and The Vision. Is 14M1X only the first 0:52 of Dark side of the Moon?

Great work on the CE3K spreadsheet! Interesting that 'Kissing Cue' was recorded as 5m6 instead of 4m6. Was it originally meant to follow 5m3 The Pillow?

And you can add the title 'Indian Chant' to 6m3/4 if you wish. I found it a while ago in the BMI repertoire :)

Regarding your Rosewood spreadsheet, @Jay:

I have the information of where one cue ends and the next cue begins, in case they were joined on the LLL release. I'm not so sure about track 4, but the rest is quite clear (thanks to MM always leaving a second of silence between the cues).

4 - Mann Goes Shopping (1:24) Mann Meets Scrappie

5 - Prayers at Dinner (1:49) The Wrights (3:03) War Drums

6 - Scrappie and Mann Bond (0:47) The Beating

8 - The Lie (1:52) Arresting Aaron

9 - Roughing Up Aaron (1:37) Aaron in Jail

11 - Discovering Sam's Body (1:16) Mann's First Exit

12 - Exchanging Gifts (1:18) Cracker Mob

13 - Sarah Is Shot (0:23) Attack on the House

14 - Kids to the Woods (1:30) The House Burns

15 - The Fire (1:18) Fanny's Guilt

16 - The Klan Gathers (1:40) Wright's Decision (2:59) The Crackers Gather

18 - Hide the Man, John (1:05) Wright's Dilemma (3:09) We Meet at Eight

21 - The Capture of Mann (3:25) Mann's Great Escape

22 - Burning Town (0:31) Sylvester Joins the Group

Anyone ever do a analysis of the full score for Sleepers? I was rewatching the movie the other day and it seemed to me there was quite a bit of unreleased music. It's such a fantastic score

Jay, here are a few suggestions for your HP1 spreadsheet. HP2 is great:

- You're A Wizard Harry is incomplete on the sessions, the family theme ending is missing
- Diagon Alley And The Gringotts Vault (Extended Version: the sessions don't contain the Diagon Alley Reveal insert
- The Daily Prophet: the sessions version sounds more like the film version to me, the LLL opening is extremely slow for some reason
- Cast A Christmas Spell: the sessions contain a version of the ghosts cue without the 'Invisibility Cloak overlay'
- The Leaky Cauldron: sessions contain abrupt film ending

• 3 weeks later...