Chat with John Williams and Gustavo Dudamel, June 30th 6pm

Tydirium

7 hours ago, Smeltington said:

You made me look like a dumbass, Jurassic Shark. And now I can't figure out how to edit my post. Maybe I AM a dumbass  :pat:

I apologize, it was just too tempting to change my post  It won't happen again. :)

For everybody else, my original post that Smelt replied to was "Was it?".

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I apologize, it was just too tempting to change my post  It won't happen again. :)

For everybody else, my original post that Smelt replied to was "Was it?".

Lol. You are forgiven!

Also how come I can't edit my posts? I better be careful what I say here.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

its a new feature we are trying out.  It's currently set to 61 minutes after a post is submitted that you can still edit it

Right, there was no option to turn it off if it was post#1 in a thread.  It's just something we're playing with, could easily revert

Can a mod still edit others' posts? I remember once something was placed under a NSFW spoiler, or those where a thread was split in two or posts are moved and a disclaimer is placed in one to indicate that. If yes, that could be a solution we can pester you with.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

there was no option to turn it off if it was post#1 in a thread.

Sometimes these types of resources appear further into a thread, though. Like in the Legends of the Fall thread, I posted a breakdown of the bonus tracks, then I went back and edited it a few times with more info that other people shared. Maybe in that type of situation I could create a new thread just to make sure I could always edit the post, but there wasn't much discussion around that release anyway, so it seems to make sense to keep it to one thread.

Not sure I'm thrilled with this 'no edit' after 1-hour function. And I'm not only talking about fixing errors or modifying something that may have been written 'in the heat of the moment'. I often need to edit old posts -- like certain 'research threads' about old TV shows etc. that need periodic updating. But I'm not the boss here, you do as you please, of course!

I think 24 hours might make more sense than 61 minutes, but it still doesn't solve the problem of being able to maintain "resource" posts.

Just saw the feature in there and figured I'd check it out

I guess it was a response to when board members decide to leave the forum and instead of just abandoning their account, they spend hours opening up every one of their old posts and erasing the contents.

I would be fine with it if there was some way I could get 'special access' to edit certain threads -- like the "TV show" thread and a couple of others. I have similar threads on FSM, so it's kinda 'backed up' there, but since it concerns Williams, it would be great to share this with JWFAN members as well, if and when new information surfaces.

Exactly what I'm talking about.  I wish there was a way to allow certain posts to be editable forever, but the software doesn't allow it.  It's all or nothing.

Actually, there is a way, the setting is determined by user group.  Currently all users are in a group called Members, other than myself, Inky, Ricard, etc who are in admin type groups.  But theoretically a new group could be created for people to have unlimited edit access, but I can just see that being a nightmare to maintain

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Just saw the feature in there and figured I'd check it out

I guess it was a response to when board members decide to leave the forum and instead of just abandoning their account, they spend hours opening up every one of their old posts and erasing the contents.

Well, you could offer to completely delete accounts upon request, which you should due to EU regulations and the site being hosted in the EU.

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Does anybody record this? It will be in the middle of the night where I live. Would be much appreciated if someone could share it afterwards :)

I hope so too...!

No edit after 1 hour is totally stupid. how can you update posts with lists etc...

On 6/26/2020 at 11:22 AM, Jay said:

who cares about that

WTF man,  you can edit your posts for 20 years and now you want to change it because something specific bothers you? Just leave it like it was

55 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

If all goes well I'll have a recording of this for those that miss it.

That would be very nice :)

New Fanfare !!! (forever unreleased)

it's for the Vienna Ball so it has to work on this one a lot and make it his best fanfare. And  he has to best that Strauss guy

Just now, King Mark said:

New Fanfare !!! (forever unreleased)

Maybe he will just re-purpose "The Toast," since no one ever heard that one anyway.  

did he ever play A Toast?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

lol King Mark that feature was turned back off days ago, did you even try editing one of your posts before posting all that?

I should have edited my post!

Is there anything he could conceivably score in the next few years anyway? Indy 5 maybe and whatever Spielberg decides to churn out next, but apart from that...

Somebody quickly analyse his bookshelves from the videos we recently got and film something on there that hasn't been filmed before, that's the ticket!

It was lovely hearing Williams speak and to hear about his projects. But yeah I agree with Thor, I can usually tolerate the gushing but here it just made me cringe. Especially from Dude’s side.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Flowers? What a disappointment to the trees, his lifelong love.

Imagine him seeing a flowering tree.  

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm glad I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

For me on the other hand it was *very* special, because me and our daughter - having been there in Vienna, at this historic moment - shared this at 3am in the morning. *sigh*

(last time I did something like this was more than 20 years ago, before she was born even, for a live Star Wars chat where you could post questions intended for the Maestro ;))