Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

16-Centuries Join Hands. More of the beautiful new theme , but not developed to it's full potential. This theme is awesome, and  I was really hoping for a "Map Room" type of track with it where it slowly builds to a climax

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

The melody at 4:10 onwards in Prologue is reminding me of something and I can't place it...

War of the Worlds The Reunion?

17-New York 1969. More Marion's theme, nicely developed and slightly different than usual, and playful arrangement of Helena's Theme followed by....standard Raiders March quote with nothing special about it.

Why do I get the "Finale" is mostly unreleased?

18-Helena's Theme violin version .Should have stayed a separate single release and not on the OST.

Without having seen the film yet I predict this will stand out as one of Williams "worst assembled " OST's when we get to hear the rest of the music, like Revenge of the Sith for example. Right now it sounds like a mish-mash of truncated highlights.

My biggest disappointment of the OST.  The beautiful and haunting theme at the end of Prologue (Dial of Destiny theme?) doesn't get a fully developed concert version. Major lost opportunity.

I have spoken.

Am I the only one, who is looking around and trying to locate Obi-Wan at The Airport (Track 14), as I hear him constantly sneaking around me in the form of some sneaky ostinatos in the background? And just for the record, doesn't bother me at all, just sharing the notion.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Just got to the On The Tank stuff in track 3. I'm disappointed this is on the OST album instead of original new material

I'm disappointed too. Assuming the track is named correctly, I guess either Mangold or JW wanted to capture the style of that era with music from the film close to that period.

17 minutes ago, King Mark said:

17-New York 1969. More Marion's theme, nicely developed and slightly different than usual, and playful arrangement of Helena's Theme followed by....standard Raiders March quote that has nothing special about it.

Why do I get the "Finale" is mostly unreleased?

18-Helena's Theme violin version .Should have stayed a separate single release and not on the OST.

Without having seen the film yet I predict this will stand out as one of Williams "worst assembled " OST's when we get to hear the rest of the music, like Revenge of the Sith for example. Right now it sounds like a mish-mash of truncated highlights.

My biggest disappointment of the OST.  The beautiful new theme at the end of Prologue doesn't get a fully developed concert version. Major lost opportunity.

We could have easily not had the prologue or the better version of Helena’s theme so i’m happy we have them but the 1944 is clearly missing a lot. Gotta be thankful for what we got.

The piano opening to “Helena’s Theme” took me by surprise at first, too, but in some ways it makes the theme feel even more “Golden-Agey.” It also makes the woodwind reprise later on more interesting, as that is now the first time you hear those instruments play that figure.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yikers, the Auction track sure is close to it's Tintin (The Duel) temp track

That was my first reaction as well, but on the other hand I thought it was kinda cool we got to hear more material in that style.

I dunno, I have the feeling that this will be a similar situation to The Little Mermaid remake: a small album first and then another one with a few more tracks later. I'm probably wrong and this is not based on anything, but... Maybe?

Just now, Edmilson said:

I dunno, I have the feeling that this will be a similar situation to The Little Mermaid remake: a small album first and then another one with a few more tracks later. I'm probably wrong and this is not based on anything, but... Maybe?

Never happened before.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Usually for JW I wouldn't say that but Mangold's previous comments about a full score release give me hope

3 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Usually for JW I wouldn't say that but Mangold's previous comments about a full score release give me hope

An isolated score would be nice, but I get the feeling it happened on The Last Jedi almost by accident with different departments at Disney not consulting each other.

Wow, that arrangment of Indy's theme that ends To Athens is awesome! 

Perils of the Deep reminds me of Chamber of Secrets again

Ooh, Marion's theme is that track is nifty sounding! 

I think the score is really great and I'm excited to hear it in context tomorrow, but my biggest qualm with the album is that it's very unlike other Williams albums.

The Star Wars sequels, all Indy films, 3x Harry Potter & others have multiple theme suites and a long end credits cue. And they're almost always around 70 to 80 minutes long.

Bit of a bummer, but the music is still fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, the Tuk Tuk track is awesome!! 

This one was an instant favorite for me. Ever since we heard Helena’s theme last year I've been excited to hear it in “action mode”!

5 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think the score is really great and I'm excited to hear it in context tomorrow, but my biggest qualm with the album is that it's very unlike other Williams albums.

The Star Wars sequels, all Indy films, 3x Harry Potter & others have multiple theme suites and a long end credits cue. And they're almost always around 70 to 80 minutes long.

Bit of a bummer, but the music is still fantastic.

I think Williams' advanced age throws all previous considerations and comparisons out the window.  I get the sense that everyone in his orbit is elated that he's producing anything, much less material of this quality, and is scrambling to present it in whatever form they can.  Maybe that's overly charitable, but I'm going with it!

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

oller Returns reminds me of Chamber of Secrets

You're right, I just listened to that track and it includes something very similar to the Spiders musics from CoS! I wondered if Chamber was on the temp track...

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just got to the On The Tank stuff in track 3. I'm disappointed this is on the OST album instead of original new material

Maybe Williams figured it wasn't on the LC OST and this was a nice way of making it heard?

I can imagine he forgot it was on the bonus CD of the box set...

Tuk Tuk is the biggest surprise of the score for me, given what we heard in the film clip.

I don't get the impression that we have any cues from different areas joined together, but rather there are just a lot of missing cues and we almost certainly only have part of the finale. I do get the impression that maybe Syracuse isn't from the ending as it doesn't have that triumphant ending one might expect.

The whole thing has a fresh sound and Williams doesn't seem to fall back on his strings/harp 'mysterious' material at any point. IOW there is no part of the album I would drop or routinely skip past, unlike Skull. Given the score presented on album, it flows nicely.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Tuk Tuk is the biggest surprise of the score for me, given what we heard in the film clip.

Yeah, it's a very entertaining action cue. I love how chaotic it gets, reminds me a bit of the Fathiers Charge! cue from TLJ

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yikers, the Auction track sure is close to it's Tintin (The Duel) temp track

This is what I was referring to in my Cannes review. Like 1:30 onwards - it is plain as day that it was tracked with The Duel. Some of the figurines and accents etc are literally identical. 

It is as close to "tracking in" as possible while still qualifying as "new music".

Does, as I believe, Anne-Sophie Mutter's version of "Helena's Theme" play during the end credits?

It's really beautiful.

Here are highlights I noticed while listening to the album for the first time.

Prologue: Gorgeous melody in the last two minutes as mentioned by King Mark.

To Morocco: Cute variations of the Indy theme at the start. Excellent lush rendition of Helena's theme towards the end.

Tuktuk In Tangiers: Cool action versions of Helena's theme. The build-up from 2:16 is awesome! A definite highlight.

To Athens: An incredible version of Helena's theme followed by an incredible version of Indy's theme.

Polybius Cypher: Nice "mystery / investigation" renditions of Helena's theme.

The Airport: Good strong muscular tension / action music with plenty of Helena's theme in the second half.

Battle of Syracuse: Very impressive JW rhythmic action writing.

Centuries Join Hands: A brief continuation of the rhythmic action writing, followed by the beautiful theme from track 1, and ends with a slightly muted performance of Indy's theme.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Does, as I believe, Anne-Sophie Mutter's version of "Helena's Theme" play during the end credits?

Again, Anne-Sophie Mutter's version it's not in the movie. 

Guys, love your comments. I don't treat them as spoilers because I saw the movie. Four more hours for me to listen to this...

5 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Again, Anne-Sophie Mutter's version it's not in the movie. 

Guys, love your comments. I don't treat them as spoilers because I saw the movie. Four more hours for me to listen to this...

Why it's on the OST?

It's fraud!

I was about to say that this OST is perfect, but if it doesn't include the music from the end credits, then it means that the end credits music is a montage? :(