Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

53 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

yeah, and who knows what else. Maybe whole new themes didn't make it..

There’s precedent for that, no? Clark’s Personal Theme? Maybe the Fedora Guy or Cross of Coronado motifs from TLC?

3 minutes ago, igger6 said:

There’s precedent for that, no? Clark’s Personal Theme? Maybe the Fedora Guy or Cross of Coronado motifs from TLC?

IIRC, one theme from A.I. hadn't made it to the ost.

I'm not sure about others, because once expanded editions get released, I never return to the osts!

My standouts so far are:

Prologue

Helena's Theme

To Morocco

Auction at Hotel

Tuk Tuk Chase

Water Ballet

Battle of Syracuse

Helena's Theme (ASM version)

I like it but...I wish it were a bit more upbeat! Now I'm curious to see what other music to this film there is left to discover... (I noticed that none of the music from the officially released clips appears in the album, with the exception of the winds at 4:05 of The Grafikos which appear at the very end of the Archimedes tomb clip)

13 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Maybe the Fedora Guy or Cross of Coronado motifs from TLC?

Those are on the OST. 

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

If you're thinking of the blue fairy theme, that's on the OST. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you're thinking of the blue fairy theme, that's on the OST. 

No, I was thinking of another theme. I am not sure who named it (or if it was me)*, but it was the "memory of a child" theme.

memory of child theme.png

edit: Ah, yes! I have written it in a footnote in my dissertation too, that it wasn't included in the ost. :)

* Oh, it was named here:

https://jwfan.com/?p=3196

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm not sure about others, because once expanded editions get released, I never return to the osts!

Is it maybe David’s personal theme? Williams OSTs are so impersonal!

I think I like this score more than KOTCS simply because Helena's theme is just so good. And ultimately ost or complete (in regards to KOTCS), there isn't single stand out amazing theme that I look forward to hearing. They're all just really good.

Having an Indy score with an incredible secondary theme really makes all the difference.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah don't get me wrong I think they're all great themes. But besides a statement in the jungle chase of Irina's theme, I never feel like they get their own flair. Even mutts theme. Ya know?

I do know.

Most of the theme appearances are close to their suite counterparts.

The antagonist themes don't make much of an impact.

And Mutt's theme is too flimsy and happy-go-lucky.

KotCS lacks something with the inspired gravitas of the Grail Theme.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

But I LOVE the concert version of Irina's theme, for which there is no official recording!

OK, now I'm confused! Is that not track 4 of the KOTCS OST?

Just now, Damien F said:

OK, now I'm confused! Is that not track 4 of the KOTCS OST?

Nope.

It's the one in the Hal Leonard edition. It has been played in a couple of concerts only.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Nope.

It's the one in the Hal Leonard edition. It has been played in a couple of concerts only.

Ah OK. But I presume track 4 is one concert version and the Hal Leonard is another one?

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

Ah OK. But I presume track 4 is one concert version and the Hal Leonard is another one?

Track 4 is a mix of three different cues, IIRC. The opening comes from Irina's first appearance, the middle portion is part of the end credits, and the ending is an unused version of "The Russians Reappear".

13 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I think Helena's Theme >>> Mutt's Theme.

I don't like 》》》posts usually. But yours gave me a boner.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

That was not my intention!

I apologize for my behavior; I can't always control myself.

As I listened to "New York, 1969," I'm certain that I momentarily ceased breathing. Consequently, tears welled up, and I wept.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Has JW ever created so many variations on one theme in a score before? I don´t think even Rey´s Theme was showcased this much.

I'm really struck by how much Helena's theme dominates the OST compared to Indy's theme especially in the action music.

1 minute ago, Jay said:
On 03/09/2022 at 5:06 PM, Jay said:

The track labeled "Irina's Theme" on the OST album is just bits of three film cues edited together. 

0:00-0:41 = 1m4NR Irina Spalko

0:41-2:00 = 7m56 End Credit

2:00-end = 3m28 Russians Reappear

He wrote an actual concert arrangement of her theme, but it wasn't recorded at the recording sessions. It debuted in live concerts. 

If I knew this in the past, I had totally forgotten it!

The actual concert arrangement is so good! That and the new version of Marion's Theme are total gems that should have been recorded for the KOCS OST, or at least something shortly after like a Volume 3 Spielberg album that could have happened then (and the recent one could have been a volume 4)

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

I'm really struck by how much Helena's theme dominates the OST compared to Indy's theme especially in the action music.

Agreed.

It's really all over the place.

I do miss the March...

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

The Knights of Ren leitmotif.

STILL MAD!!!!!

Listening to the album for a third time and I realized that the theme similar to the Spiders themes from Chamber of Secrets that is introduced in Voller Returns also makes an appearance at the end of Archimedes' Tomb.

I wonder what this theme represents, if anything at all.

3 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I do know.

Most of the theme appearances are close to their suite counterparts.

The antagonist themes don't make much of an impact.

And Mutt's theme is too flimsy and happy-go-lucky.

KotCS lacks something with the inspired gravitas of the Grail Theme.

Well since as has been mentioned, Irina's taken straight from the credits, that doesn't really count now does it?

7 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

In each track you can briefly hear something that Williams composed years before

That's kind of true, and more obvious than any other score he's done. But there's enough fresh material to offset this. And we haven't heard the unreleased music, maybe lifts from previous scores are less present.

And for the Last Crusade/RotlA lifts in Germany,1944, I liken it to something like the revised Sail Barge Assault in RotJ

9 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

The score is in parts better than I expected, in parts as I expected, and in parts dissapointing;

but the album assembly is borderline intolerable. Subtracting TWO arrangements of Helena's theme and two minutes lackluster Raiders March at the end, the score is presented with barely 57 minutes. Then you get carbon copies of Tintin and Last Crusade (?), and you are at 55 minutes of score.

This isn't the Fablemans, and it's not 1989 anymore, give this last JW score a proper f'n soundtrack!

Yeah the OST feels like an "appetizer" and most of the tracks a small excerpt from much longer sequences of music

46 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Listening to the album for a third time and I realized that the theme similar to the Spiders themes from Chamber of Secrets that is introduced in Voller Returns also makes an appearance at the end of Archimedes' Tomb.

I wonder what this theme represents, if anything at all.

Thinking back to the movie. It might be the Voller theme.

And I think it is modelled on Saccharine's theme from Tintin - one repeating phrase gaining in intensity.