Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

42 minutes ago, Brando said:

I suppose in a way it’s meant to make you feel the adventure is really over

The adventure was over in 1989 and again in 2008. Little did Williams know in ‘89 that there was going to be a 4th film, or in ‘08 that there was going to be a 5th, yet he ended the scores with the Raiders March.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Did you place New York 1969 again at the very end too?  I'd love to do something similar but I just wish we had a more subtle intro (similar to KOTCS finale) into the raiders march in the DoD sound.

I feel weird having an Indy end credits not end with the raiders march 😭

No, I didn't place the Raiders March at the very end.  I just wanted to recreate the end credits as heard in the film, which ends with the Archimedes theme.

I just realised the second map cue is the "Antiquity" motif! I thought it was incidental athematic music!

I kinda considered that idea an extension of Archimedes' theme (aka a B-Theme). But this works too.

On a serious note - 

Did Williams go overboard with FOUR Nazi motifs? Was he specially inspired by them? Does he have Nazi memorabilia stacked up somewhere in his home that we are not aware of? 😀

And secondly in his big concert suite of themes - the first album track (and end credits) - he manages to get in nearly every theme and motif - except the main Dial Of Destiny theme!

19 hours ago, Brando said:

You’re the first person I’ve seen mention this, and I really wonder why he didn’t end the credits with the March. I suppose in a way it’s meant to make you feel the adventure is really over, any thoughts on this?

I think you could definitely frame the film musically as Indy having to "earn" his theme again throughout the film. After the flashback opening, it slowly trickles back to the forefront in terms of prominence. Once the film ends and cuts to black, you get hit with the full theme in its entirety as Indy has completed his arc (not ark!) and gets a last musical hurrah. After that, Williams moves past the man and focuses on recounting the adventure you just observed the man experience musically. The celebration and rush you get from hearing the Raiders March in full with the start of the credits gets diminished by getting to hear it again. Ideally, you WANT more. You don't want your time with this character to be done. But it is, and that's okay. Because the fact he and his music ever graced us at all is something to be treasured.

Or at least, that's one way to look at it.

7 hours ago, Damien F said:

I absolutely love the Nazi Determination theme in The Airport especially when the snares kick in at 1:37

There's definitely something quintessentially Indy about that passage and then it's second rise at around 2:12. It's fascinating to hear because you're listening and there is just something to the music in moments like that where it just feels like it belongs in an Indy film. At the end of the day, I'm not sure what ultimately creates that distinction for Williams that separates that sort of sound from a Star Wars film. One of my concerns honestly was that this was gonna sound more like another Star Wars ST score than Indy 5, but it unmistakably is Williams in Indy mode, and it's so much fun to hear.

Another moment in that track that I can't get enough of is this brief little twinkly strike Williams does here at 3:00. It...

Spoiler

almost feels like hearing Williams do his take on Silvestri's Back to the Future "twinkle," which is pretty fitting given what is unfolding during the moment it plays.

13 hours ago, Tydirium said:

03 Germany, 1944

0:05 Nazi Supremacy

0:44 "On the Tank"

1:41 Nazis (ROTLA)

1:54 Raiders A

2:03 Nazis (ROTLA)

2:09 Raiders A

2:19 Nazi Supremacy

2:40 Dial of Destiny

3:13 Raiders A

3:25 Nazi Spirit

4:12 Raiders A

Regarding the analysis of "Germany 1944" (above), what does "ROTLA" stand for? If this is a spoiler, please don't answer. And doesn't minute 2:03 sound like the Death Star motive (1977) regarding harmony or theme?

4 minutes ago, christian said:

Regarding the analysis of "Germany 1944" (above), what does "ROTLA" stand for? If this is a spoiler, please don't answer. And doesn't minute 2:03 sound like the Death Star motive (1977) regarding harmony or theme?

ROTLA = Raiders of the Lost Ark

5 minutes ago, christian said:

ROTLA stands for Raiders of the Lost Ark. There is similarity between the Nazi motif from that film and the stormtrooper motif (I think that’s what you’re thinking of; the Death Star has a different motif) from the original Star Wars.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

"Well it is the same guy. Mozart always sounds a little alike. They all come from the same brain, the same pencil, the same piano".

Some composers do that more than others, but yeah that's a fair statement.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good answer from a director.

Yes, I thought so, especially as it was unlikely to be a question he had to answer before in previous interviews for DOD.

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

Yes, I thought so, especially as it was unlikely to be a question he had to answer before in previous interviews for DOD.

But kind of a weird question, since it concerned old themes. It would have made more sense if the question involved Helena's theme.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But kind of a weird question, since it concerned old themes. It would have made more sense if the question involved Helena's theme.

Mangold mentioned the "magnificent score" of the Indy films in general, and then the interviewer mentioned Marion's theme.

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Or at least, that's one way to look at it.

I think I can get behind that. It’ll take a bit to get used to but I think I’ll come around to it.

4 hours ago, Brando said:

I think I can get behind that. It’ll take a bit to get used to but I think I’ll come around to it.

I think there also might be something to the idea of Williams seizing the opportunity to just play the Raiders March in the credits with nothing tied to it. It doesn't lead into anything, it doesn't act as a sandwich to bookend the credits. It just gets to kinda stand on its own, which it never has in quite the way it does here.

Okay here's what I did to make my own 'End Credits'

All of New York, 1969 ---> Helena's Theme ---> Raiders March from New York, 1969 ---> coda at the end of Germany 1944

couple notes:

I wanted a lot of Raiders March in this end credits.  Deal with it.

I disregarded Prologue, even if it is in the official end credits, I just deemed Helena's Theme too important to not be in it more.  I'm also not talented enough to find a way to transition from something in Prologue to Helena's Theme (even though her theme is in there in the beginning, but not enough). 

also the opening piano part of Helena's theme reminds me of JW starting an end credits list with a piano version, ala E.T.  So it goes well pretending that's where the credits roll.

If anyone has any ideas for a complete newbie to Audacity, I'd love to know what would sound good after new york 1969 that's either the dial theme, voller theme or archimedes and then into helena's theme.

For now this will do.  I can also remove Helena's theme from track 2.

On 28/6/2023 at 12:14 AM, Signals said:

That sound JW uses in action music, is that muted trombone?

He uses every brass, Trumpets, French Horns, Trombones, Bass Trombones and Tuba, muted and unmuted, so it would depend where you are talking about in the score.

I listened to all 5 Indy film end credits again, especially the march; does anyone else think the Raiders March in DoD sounds limp and thin compared to the rest? There is something about that snare drum that sounds like someone in a DAW laid a snare drum line over an actual recording.

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

I listened to all 5 Indy film end credits again, especially the march; does anyone else think the Raiders March in DoD sounds limp and thin compared to the rest? There is something about that snare drum that sounds like someone in a DAW laid a snare drum line over an actual recording.

I felt in the cinema that the temp was slower and that it thus had a slightly heavier feeling than most versions of the theme.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I felt in the cinema that the temp was slower and that it thus had a slightly heavier feeling than most versions of the theme.

Quite right, I remarked on this slower temp in an earlier post and after trying a few times it's growing on me. It's probably Williams' way to address Indy's advanced age but the first time I heard his approach it sounded off to me too.