Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

What? Are we sure this will not turn up anywhere else?

By the way, I'm searching in the site and all I can find is the LP.

There is not a shred of evidence yet to indicate it will be sold anywhere else.  That's why many of us purchased it through Disney's site.

And yes, the CD order page disappeared, hence the entire recent block of posts about it possibly being a limited edition.

14 hours ago, pixie_twinkle said:

Looking at the tracklist on the CD, I don't see the end credits music listed. The end credits music in the movie was absolutely gorgeous. Can anyone confirm or deny if the music is on the CD anywhere? Thanks in advance.

I don't understand this post.  Where you expecting the CD to be different from the soundtrack album that's been out on digital platforms for 3 weeks now, or did you not even know the soundtrack has already been out for 3 weeks now?

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is not a shred of evidence yet to indicate it will be sold anywhere else.  That's why many of us purchased it through Disney's site.

In fairness, it’s just so alien and weird that it’s not more widely available (especially true for those of us not in the USA) hence people waiting on Amazon etc.  

Or maybe it’s not weird in 2023 and middle-age Williams nerds like us belong in a museum!

15 hours ago, pixie_twinkle said:

Looking at the tracklist on the CD, I don't see the end credits music listed. The end credits music in the movie was absolutely gorgeous. Can anyone confirm or deny if the music is on the CD anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Most of that music is on the album. The end credits consist of the end of “New York, 1969,” “Helena’s Theme,” and most of “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.”

14 hours ago, Amer said:

No its not there.     The whole album is online you can sample it on the treams but the end title march is there on the last track if thats what you mean but the remainder is absent.

Most of the remainder is on the album in the tracks “Helena’s Theme” and “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.” The album version of “Prologue” has some slight differences and an intro tacked on, but for the most part the content is identical.

In addition to the passage from To Morocco that I mentioned in another thread yesterday, this passage from To Athens really struck me on first listen:

Of course in some sense its function is just to transition from the (beautiful) rendition of Helena's theme to the Raiders march. But it really sounds like classic JW -- indeed it reminded me of some of his concert work, e.g. this whole section from the most recent violin concerto (through 8:00 or so):

He does such a wonderful job building anticipation with these low brass notes over fast-paced strings.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

My track-by-track reactions as I finally listen to the OST for the first time, after seeing the film once and otherwise having no exposure to the music:

1. Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Really strong opening to the album. Truly feels like a overture, in a good way. Love how it hits so many themes. Starts us off on the right foot with no quotes of old material.
  2. Helena's Theme: Not as catchy as some of JW's more tuneful writing in past decades, but beautiful and interesting. And something you won't get to hear from any other working film composers.
  3. Germany, 1944: Aaaaaand there go the verbatim quotes of previous scores. Boo. What a relief to mostly return to new material for the second half. That being said, in the film and on album, I do really like the choice to end this sequence with the unused tag from the end of Raiders' credits.
  4. To Morocco: Nice choice in terms of album flow.
  5. Voller Returns: I dig the unsettling underscore and bits of villain and MacGuffin themes. Again, great choice in terms of album sequencing.
  6. Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique: Our first bit of outright comedic material on the album. I thought the KOTCS OST brought this in too early with "The Snake Pit." This works much better. Then I get annoyed with the Tintin lifts in the last half, as I did in the film. But it's brilliant writing, and with time, I'm sure I'll grow to like it on its own terms.
  7. Tuk Tuk in Tangers: It is a miracle that this nonagenarian can still mickey mouse his way through an action sequence in a way that sounds so fresh, exciting, and musically satisfying. It's obviously Williams music, but it doesn't feel redundant with his previous scores. Bravo.
  8. To Athens: I remembered the traveling music feels more authentically Indiana Jones than the visuals onscreen. So nice to hear it on album - great unique statements of Helena's and Indy's themes. Another strong track.
  9. Perils of the Deep: Pretty subdued "breather" track. The reharmonization of Marion's theme at the end is interesting.
  10. Water Ballet: Love the creepy stuff. And again, NOT at all redundant with the series' previous creepy music. The creative use of piano, percussion, and even organ is :love2:
  11. Polybius Cipher: Similar to material we've already heard on the album. Kind of a curious inclusion.
  12. The Graphikos: My attention wandered a bit. But not bad. I continue to enjoy the dissonant misterioso keyboard figures. The buildup toward the end is cool.
  13. Archimedes' Tomb: Nice to hear the return of some of the thematic material for the titular dial. Or for Archimedes himself? I can't recall.
  14. The Airport: I like the urgent, serious interpolations of the themes for Helana and the villains. Gearing up for the climax of the film and album!
  15. Battle of Syracuse: More unique action writing, befitting the Grecian setting. Love it. Great climax to the action of the film.
  16. Centuries Join Hands: Not much to say, other than I like it!
  17. New York, 1969: A less than satisfying conclusion to the main part of the album. I could have done without the masterful but overly familiar KOTC setting of Marion's theme. The end of the film proper is a disappointment, and it's no better on album, sadly. I'm glad the credits version of the Raiders March at least closes things out.
  18. Helena's Theme (For Violin and Orchestra): The theme is so well-suited to solo violin, and to Mutter's playing specifically. A great contribution to these two artists' fruitful collaboration, and a joy in terms of pure music, regardless of whether it fits the character.

Overall notes:

• There's something that feels a little different about the quality of the recording itself, compared to other recent Williams recordings in LA. I think I like it. It's surprising that we get so much "close" sound from spot mics on the piano, celeste, and harp ... and still more surprising that I enjoy it. Normally I prefer a wetter, more distant sound. The celeste is also very much not the Potter sound, which is a nice change from, say, KOTCS or Tintin.
  • Still hate that I couldn't buy this on CD, especially because ...
  • ... I enjoyed the album way more than I expected! It really de-emphasizes the verbatim or near-verbatim quotes of old material, favoring stuff that not only is new, but feels new. Again, it's incredible that a man in his 90s can still bring music into being without it all feeling like a rehash. Frankly, it did feel like a rehash in the film to me, due to all the quotes. Not here. What a sublime surprise. I'm really looking forward to giving this another listen. (And many more afterward!) Is it on the level of Raiders or TOD? Of course not. But when it focuses on doing something new, rather than retreading the brilliance of the past, it becomes a truly worthy addition to the Williams canon.

With you on Water Ballet, one of those moments that make you smile at how cool it is.

Not with you entirely on Germany 1944, I got goosebumps on my first listen, it's nice to hear the cue without it being Wallinized, seeing as it would probably never be chosen to be re-recorded otherwise

1 hour ago, Signals said:

With you on Water Ballet, one of those moments that make you smile at how cool it is.

Not with you entirely on Germany 1944, I got goosebumps on my first listen, it's nice to hear the cue without it being Wallinized, seeing as it would probably never be chosen to be re-recorded otherwise

Okay, you do have a point about getting to hear the TLC material recorded by Shawn Murphy. But the other scores are also quoted liberally in the film, and there the advantage disappears.

58 minutes ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

I don't feel like we belong in a museum! CDs are still the best way to "own" a score, in terms of the sound quality and the notes and packaging.

I too missed ordering the CD when it first got listed and now I can't order it!

I wrote to Disney about this, but no reply, unsurprisingly.

I'm no fan of this digital-only approach, but in all fairness, CD doesn't have a sound quality advantage over lossless downloads. I went with Qobuz for exactly that reason.

But yeah, I still miss the packaging and the notes. Feels like something is missing from my shelf.

Just to be sure, the action motif appearing in Germany, 1944 at 0:44 is from The Last Crusade? And it's not on the official Last Crusade soundtrack album right?

28 minutes ago, iamleyeti said:

Just to be sure, the action motif appearing in Germany, 1944 at 0:44 is from The Last Crusade? And it's not on the official Last Crusade soundtrack album right?

It's not on the OST, but it is on the 2008 Concord album:

On 16/07/2023 at 2:11 AM, Amer said:

No its not there.     The whole album is online you can sample it on the treams but the end title march is there on the last track if thats what you mean but the remainder is absent.

17 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Most of that music is on the album. The end credits consist of the end of “New York, 1969,” “Helena’s Theme,” and most of “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.”

Most of the remainder is on the album in the tracks “Helena’s Theme” and “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.” The album version of “Prologue” has some slight differences and an intro tacked on, but for the most part the content is identical.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know the music is on there somewhere. If this really does prove to be John Williams' final film score (before a long and happy retirement!) that closing credit suite is a perfect end to a glorious career. I haven't checked out the score online, but will certainly pick up the CD to blast on my lovely Pro-AC speakers the day it comes out!

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

I'm pretty sure I'll be back in stock

I assume this is a typo, and you mean "it'll be back in stock," i.e., the Disney CD with the "Dial of Destiny" soundtrack will be back in stock?

If so, does anyone have knowledge of this from the past, meaning does Disney usually restock CDs that they list as "currently unavailable"?

I mean, it's almost a crime to not make this score available on CD to more than a small number of people who pre-ordered right away, esp. since Disney never stated that it was a Disney-exclusive release or that it was a Limited Edition that will be gone once the small stock is sold!

12 minutes ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

I assume this is a typo, and you mean "it'll be back in stock," i.e., the Disney CD with the "Dial of Destiny" soundtrack will be back in stock?

If so, does anyone have knowledge of this from the past, meaning does Disney usually restock CDs that they list as "currently unavailable"?

I mean, it's almost a crime to not make this score available on CD to more than a small number of people who pre-ordered right away, esp. since Disney never stated that it was a Disney-exclusive release or that it was a Limited Edition that will be gone once the small stock is sold!

My impression is that Disney want the majority of their clients to subscribe exclusively to (become dependent on) their online offerings.

If you just buy a CD (or two) you are not signing any long-term contract with them.

So why should they have an interest in promoting CDs that also cause high logistical cost?

It's a sad development, I know.

12 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

My impression is that Disney want the majority of their clients to subscribe exclusively to (become dependent on) their online offerings.

If you just buy a CD (or two) you are not signing any long-term contract with them.

So why should they have an interest in promoting CDs that also cause high logistical cost?

This assessment may well be true.

However, Disney did offer this soundtrack as a CD. And they did not release it on the release date of the film, or prior, but instead about 6 weeks later.

And they did not inform anyone about it being severely limited stock.

And, it sold out before the release date!

So, they really do have a responsibility to make more copies available, even if it is at a later date.

People are more likely to develop a relationship with Disney if they show this basic courtesy...

21 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

they all have come to the conclusion that it is better for them to rent everything.

generally after any movement to the complete enclosure of anything public or common; they go into rent.

I still maintain that if Disney gets LOTS of emails from customers interested in the CD and dismayed to see it is no longer available for order, they will make more available.

Even if it is about the money, this will be an incentive.

Here is the email to write to them. It takes just a minute:

disneymusicemporium@musictoday.com

4 hours ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

So, they really do have a responsibility to make more copies available, even if it is at a later date.

People are more likely to develop a relationship with Disney if they show this basic courtesy...

Perhaps this is an indication of how little interest there is in pressing CDs of soundtracks nowadays, even for Disney.

If I look back at my purchases over the last year (and discounting speciality and non-score releases) I end up with just one release, or series of releases - Doctor Who, which I have on CD because Silva Screen is an independent label that still focuses a lot on CDs.

Even on my Spotify 'to buy' list, which has around a dozen albums, just one of those would conceivably be available on CD, and certainly not not for a reasonable price. It's not as if we're in some horrible streaming-only rental world - we can still buy CD quality files.

17 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Perhaps this is an indication of how little interest there is in pressing CDs of soundtracks nowadays, even for Disney.

Yep.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If I look back at my purchases over the last year (and discounting speciality and non-score releases) I end up with just one release, or series of releases - Doctor Who, which I have on CD because Silva Screen is an independent label that still focuses a lot on CDs.

Even on my Spotify 'to buy' list, which has around a dozen albums, just one of those would conceivably be available on CD, and certainly not not for a reasonable price. It's not as if we're in some horrible streaming-only rental world - we can still buy CD quality files.

These are very valid points.

But the issue here is that Disney DID announce release of a CD, but DID NOT give any indication: a) it's Disney-exclusive (i.e., don't bother with Amazon) b) it's a very limited release that will be depleted before the release date of August 9!

They do owe it to customers to honor their listing of the CD by making it available to more than a few people (unless they had said, as specialty soundtrack sites do, "Limited Edition of 3,000 copies," or something like that).

I might be a dinosaur, but I ONLY buy CDs, never downloads. (It helps that the two genres I buy are classical and film scores, and there are always CD releases in classical and in most soundtracks as well. Even recently, Disney's Star Wars soundtrack CDs could be found IN STORES!)

I get wanting it on CD. I would have preferred that, also, but this is sort of the same as the videogame situation in that the end-result, quality-wise, is exactly the same. I can get an aiff download off Qobuz that sounds identical to a CD. The only thing we're really fetishizing is the packaging, and like, I get it, I have a house full of hardcover books, but I care more about the music than the thing it comes on.

8 hours ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

They do owe it to customers to honor their listing of the CD by making it available to more than a few people (unless they had said, as specialty soundtrack sites do, "Limited Edition of 3,000 copies," or something like that).

I'd say respectfully... not really? Pretend for a moment that it was a limited edition physical run and someone at Disney forgot to add it to the listing - you could still have missed out on it.

I missed out on a physical copy of a single Doctor Who and Game of Thrones CD which is a tad annoying. I've moved firmly into the digital era but I'm allowed to have the odd franchise where I'm more anal than usual :) 

However, the fact that the music is available at all in a world where the public doesn't care about soundtracks, is a good thing. It's just not as collectible as it once was.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd say respectfully... not really? Pretend for a moment that it was a limited edition physical run and someone at Disney forgot to add it to the listing - you could still have missed out on it.

I missed out on a physical copy of a single Doctor Who and Game of Thrones CD which is a tad annoying. I've moved firmly into the digital era but I'm allowed to have the odd franchise where I'm more anal than usual :) 

However, the fact that the music is available at all in a world where the public doesn't care about soundtracks, is a good thing. It's just not as collectible as it once was.

I agree with the points you are making--except for one! I have followed the release of this soundtrack pretty intensely. I was shocked there was no listing of it anywhere until very shortly prior to the film's release. When I saw the Disney listing of the CD, it was specifically the fact that it did NOT say "Limited Release" that held me back from ordering it immediately. I figured I could get it on other sites or even in a store (like the recent Star Wars CDs). If they had just said "Limited Edition," I'd have ordered it immediately!

I haven't purchased a CD in ten years. Digital is just fine. 

Oops. I did get the big Harry Potter set for Christmas but once I ripped it I haven't used the CD's since. 

It also no longer says its a pre-order due to ship in August.  It says its in stock.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

It also no longer says its a pre-order due to ship in August.  It says its in stock.

Yes, exactly!

Hopefully, it will ship prior to the onset of August.

I guess the emails about the unreasonableness of it being unavailable so soon after its release (technically, before the release) paid off!

Interesting. I ordered the CD and LP in June.

However, I was curious, and I just checked the DME site, and saw "in stock" for the CD. And so I added a copy to the cart. However, in the shopping cart itself, there is message indicating there is not enough inventory, and the item is in fact sold out. 

Like, @Jay, I have received no word of the items being shipped or on the way yet.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think you downplay how much the general public likes film music.  There's a significant portion of "normal people" who like it too.  Just look at how the highest selling orchestra concerts are all for film music now.  Especially with the rise in mainstream "geek culture".  

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I think you downplay how much the general public likes film music.

There is a huge, MASSIVE different being the general public of 2023 enjoying some film scores, and wanting to own a score on a physical CD.

CDs are a massive niche in 2023 for any genre, and film music is already a tiny sub genre anyway

8 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Interesting. I ordered the CD and LP in June.

However, I was curious, and I just checked the DME site, and saw "in stock" for the CD. And so I added a copy to the cart. However, in the shopping cart itself, there is message indicating there is not enough inventory, and the item is in fact sold out. 

Like, @Jay, I have received no word of the items being shipped or on the way yet.

I just tried it out (adding a CD to my cart) and my shopping cart shows one CD in it. No indication that it is out of stock.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is a huge, MASSIVE different being the general public of 2023 enjoying some film scores, and wanting to own a score on a physical CD.

CDs are a massive niche in 2023 for any genre, and film music is already a tiny sub genre anyway

Oh, didn't realize that was about CDs.  Yeah those are like a niche of a niche

Even as physical editions they don't really have the same appeal of vinyl editions, which are larger and aren't in an easily breakable CD case.  

There is not enough inventory to fulfill your request for John Williams / Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Please adjust your order.

It's also not possible for me to create an account. 

Harrison Ford GIF

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yup, was only in stock for under an hour, out of stock again now.  @Amer got lucky to get an order in in time!

The CD is not showing anymore....

2 hours ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

I am happy to report that, as of this writing, the CD is back in stock! See here:

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVCD60/john-williams-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny

Do you work for Disney Music Emporium by any chance?

30 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

There is not enough inventory to fulfill your request for John Williams / Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Please adjust your order.

It's also not possible for me to create an account. 

Harrison Ford GIF

The CD is not showing anymore....

Do you work for Disney Music Emporium by any chance?

No, I do not.

I started my first comments on this website complaining that Disney did not produce enough copies of this CD. (Scroll above for my first comment.)

If I did work for Disney, I'd have ensured that there were tons of copies of this CD for everyone!

I see loads of vinyl and legacy edition CDs on that Emporium, along with a load of other merch, but not a lot going on in the regular soundtrack CD department. It's clearly just not a priority for them to press CDs for new stuff any more.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's clearly just not a priority for them to press CDs for new stuff any more.

Yep.

Any Japanese CD edition to be expected?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't received a shipping email yet (I ordered it on June 24th)

Yeah, it states "in progress" for the CD on the order form.