Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

What about the "final action sequence" and Finale of the film before the credits Is there lots of unreleased music?

The finale before the credits is just like New York, 1969 with the Indy theme suddenly appearing. There probably is some microediting of the final action sequence (which is really Battle of Syracuse and continuing into Centuries Join Hands) but would need to go through scene by scene to figure out what is missing. Nothing as glaringly obvious as Lando Arrives.

I think it's just heavily microedited on the album. The film has big lifts from WOTW, KOCS and TOD in this section and they're totally missing on the album, so maybe one of the cues was left off as well.

Almost the entirety of New York's cues being missing is the major bummer. The parade music is awesome and unique, plus Helena's Theme is established throughout this act as well. The Minority Report lifts are pretty obvious but it eventually transitions into fun riffs on Helena's theme.

And what about the movie's prologue? Didn't Mangold said that the prologue would take about 20 minutes of movie? How much of it is unreleased? Is the only track representing that part of the movie just Germany, 1944? Since that track is less than 5 minutes long, so are there about 10-15 minutes of unreleased action material from the prologue?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

And what about the movie's prologue? Didn't Mangold said that the prologue would take about 20 minutes of movie? How much of it is unreleased? Is the only track representing that part of the movie just Germany, 1944? Since that track is less than 5 minutes long, so are there about 10-15 minutes of unreleased action material from the prologue?

Yeah, the 1944 prologue is 20 minutes long. It isn't wall to wall action, there are some quieter moments interspersed between the action for dialog / suspense moments. A lot of the actual action music is repurposed TLC music but there is also some new action cues too especially towards the end of the sequence.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think Prolog 1:07 onwards is in the film. Maybe though not all of it.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's just a small segment of the long sequence. The new music and old quotes are weaved together throughout the whole thing.

Karol

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

I listened to the movie audio again from the 20 minute 1944 segment. The music can fall into these categories:

- No score (this is rare)

- Suspense music

- Copy and paste TLC action music

- New action cues

A majority of the first 15 minute or so is mostly suspense and TLC music. There are occasional spurts of original action stuff here but it is difficult to nail down because it can be like long suspense music, then a flurry of action for a few seconds, then back to suspense again.

The remaining 4 / 5 minutes or so definitely has the most of the original action music that's not from TLC. This has been microedited into oblivion in the 'Germany, 1944' track but at least some of it remains on the album.

I'm looking forward to Jay's inevitable spreadsheet breakdown of that sequence because it sounds very messy (I don't have the time to do it myself).

This might line up with Mangold's statement of intent for the prolog - He said explicitly that he wanted the audience for the first 20 mins to feel as if they were watching a old Indy movie - that is why they deaged Ford and have Nazis and have the kind of action scene that were in the previous films.

Brining this approach to the fore in the music would then also logically mean using some of the same music from previous films.

So maybe that is also a reason a the music in the prolog is either tracked or lift heavy - it is the intention. It is a feature and not a bug perhaps.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Bringing this approach to the fore in the music would then also logically mean using some of the same music from previous films.

I know we need to cut Williams some slack at 91, and we don't know what Mangold wanted *in detail*, but re-recording whole sections from the 80s films doesn't pass as "creating a feel of classic Indy", it's copy-paste. 

Whether the reason is radical rescoring because of editing, or Mangold wanting this temp rehash, or Williams simply not being able to do it at 91, the result sounds lazy.

It feels like one of those 80s Superman sequels that repurpuse large portions of Williams' original.

4 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I didn't notice anything major missing.

On the other hand, yes there IS a lot missing.

When we have Blu Ray rips to hear the unreleased music properly I'll become important ,like every other Williams score

On 27/06/2023 at 1:29 PM, King Mark said:

Can anyone confirm what the end of Prologue theme is ? Dial of Destiny theme?

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

maybe the Dial theme that ends the credits is really JW's Farewell theme

I think that is Archimedes' Theme, not the Dial of Destiny theme.

See here -

This score was so great.

Like crumbs said, there's a lot of nod to previous Williams score, the Tintin's one from Auction at Hotel l'Atlantique being an absolute highlight, the other are rather enjoyable quotes (I really like the WotW quote, which suited perfectly the movie).

Among the other quotes, I loved the rewriting in a different tonality of the nazi theme from TLC in the opening of the movie

Too bad there's nothing from the New York chase because the piano writing was so great

Spoiler

espacially when Indy goes down the subway

Another highlight of the score not fully present on the OST is the Airport scene with the perfect rendition of Voller's Theme and the bombastic Helena's theme rendition

Finally I missed a complete suite of Voller's Theme as presented in the End Credits

[edit: don't know if it has been mentionned but one of the source cue was written by William Ross and is quite fun]

39 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

This score was so great.

Like crumbs said, there's a lot of nod to previous Williams score, the Tintin's one from Auction at Hotel l'Atlantique being an absolute highlight, the other are rather enjoyable quotes (I really like the WotW quote, which suited perfectly the movie).

Among the other quotes, I loved the rewriting in a different tonality of the nazi theme from TLC in the opening of the movie

Too bad there's nothing from the New York chase because the piano writing was so great

Reveal hidden contents

Finally I missed a complete suite of Voller's Theme as presented in the End Credits

[edit: don't know if it has been mentionned but one of the source cue was written by William Ross and is quite fun]

Do you remember exactly what was happening in the movie during the airport scene with that unreleased bombastic rendition of Helena's theme you mentioned? I'm struggling to remember such a moment from that scene that isn't on the OST.

If it is when

Spoiler

Helena chases after the plane and climbs into the landing gear

I'm pretty sure that is all at the end of The Airport track

I was more referring to the Voller's theme not being complete on the OST but yeah the Helena's part is fully released

[edit: actually after many listening and a second viewing everything is right there]

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

When we have Blu Ray rips to hear the unreleased music properly I'll become important ,like every other Williams score

Could very well be.

At the end of the day, there's a lot of unreleased NEW music, while we got a 67 minute OST (13 minutes of space left on  the c.d.) , a version of Helena's Theme that belongs as a separate single  and  2 tracks with mostly re-recorded  music ,1944,Germany (TLC and RotLA) and New York,1969  (Marion's Theme and Raiders' March)

How could this not be disappointing in terms of OST assembly.

yeah but the same can be said of the Star Wars sequels OSTs. Williams could have retired ages ago.

I know it's his last score but my evaluation of the OST contents doesn't get a pass because of this and there's about 20 minutes of potential space that could have included more original contents

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

BUT even if the CD was 80 minutes long with no violin version of Helena's theme, there would still be a lot of unreleased music. We've always known this.

Yeah but it would still be a lot better .

19 hours ago, crocodile said:

Interesting, Williams gets a sole orchestrating credit in the end credits.

Karol

Nope? 

i remember the words

music orchestrated and conducted by

JOHN WILLIAMS • WILLIAM ROSS

but i could be wrong

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Nope? 

i remember the words

music orchestrated and conducted by

JOHN WILLIAMS • WILLIAM ROSS

but i could be wrong

You are not wrong.

I know the Minority Report bit was the Spyders music, but which bit of WotW is quoted in the film? 

28 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I know the Minority Report bit was the Spyders music, but which bit of WotW is quoted in the film? 

Fragments of The Ferry Scene, The Intersection Scene and Attack on the Car are all featured towards the start of Act 3.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Fragments of The Ferry Scene, The Intersection Scene and Attack on the Car are all featured towards the start of Act 3.

I must admit the WotW did not stand out to me.

Unlike in Skull where the lift really obvious.

I prefer the Skull additional development though.

It's such a good track!

7 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I must admit the WotW did not stand out to me.

Unlike in Skull where the lift really obvious.

I prefer the Skull additional development though.

It's such a good track!

They were brief and none made the album. 

The lifts from the non-Indy movies are really interesting. I wonder how that happens. I guess it could be as simple as Mangold using some of that music as the temp tracks. I can't imagine Williams going to his shelf and browsing for a few bars here and there to utilize.  

3 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

The lifts from the non-Indy movies are really interesting. I wonder how that happens. I guess it could be as simple as Mangold using some of that music as the temp tracks. I can't imagine Williams going to his shelf and browsing for a few bars here and there to utilize.  

It's definitely as simple as that, yeah. Some things are literal copy pastes while others are rearranged to varying degrees.

But I actually prefer the Auction cue in DOD to the cue it's based upon (from Tintin), so it's not all bad.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

But I actually prefer the Auction cue in DOD to the cue it's based upon (from Tintin), so it's not all bad.

It's actually a fun piece.

The more I listen to it, the less obvious the lift becomes.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's definitely as simple as that, yeah. Some things are literal copy pastes while others are rearranged to varying degrees.

Yeah idk, definitely can't agree with that since The Adventure Continues/The Duel is one of my top favorite 2010s JW pieces, and I just kept waiting for it to differentiate itself and never did, so even though swashbuckly Williams is fun anyway I'm meh after a couple listens. Maybe the use in the movie will change my mind but it will also be hard to top the Tintin sequence as a scored piece.