Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

7 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Not me. At home, I almost always listen to music from CDs.

Me too. If one day I get to have DoD on CD, that's the only way I will listen to it. 

8 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

CDs sound better than streaming on my audio system

(Y)

3 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Not me. At home, I almost always listen to music from CDs. Sometimes Spotify Premium - mainly new stuff I want to check. And let people say what they want, CDs sound better than streaming on my audio system.

Agreed!

11 hours ago, Brando said:

My copy arrived today without any damage!

IMG_9046.jpeg

IMG_9047.jpeg

I'm happy to hear you got yours in great condition!

How did Disney package the CD? (As per the discussion here the last few days...)

11 hours ago, Brando said:

My copy arrived today without any damage!

IMG_9046.jpeg

IMG_9047.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I opened mine and listened to it through my CD player last night

No skips or glitches!

That's great!

6 minutes ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

How did Disney package the CD? (As per the discussion here the last few days...

It was in a standard bubble mailer envelope, folded in half for double-protection on one side.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I opened mine and listened to it through my CD player last night

No skips or glitches!

How's the dynamic-range balance between tracks?

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was in a standard bubble mailer envelope, folded in half for double-protection on one side.

At least they did something to try and enhance protection! Better than just dumping it in the envelope and shipping it out. Still not the ideal way to ship CDs, though...

17 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

How's the dynamic-range balance between tracks?

>shrug<

Everything sounded the same as what I'm used to from listening to the streaming release to me

1 hour ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

How did Disney package the CD? (As per the discussion here the last few days...)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, in one of these bad boys: https://www.amazon.com/UCGOU-Bubble-Mailers-Envelopes-Shipping/dp/B06XJ3ML2T

2 hours ago, Jay said:

>shrug<

Everything sounded the same as what I'm used to from listening to the streaming release to me

Could be that burning MP3s onto CD is the problem if there is some kind of filtering software measuring spikes within tracks and adjusting to the range margins of each track.

Mine has made the journey to Atlantic Canada safe and sound.

On 26/07/2023 at 11:09 AM, Jay said:

I was expecting this same thing but mine came in a box, I thought, "hey must have been because I ordered a couple of other things alongside it, cool!" 

Then I opened the box and I had to laugh as there it was...... a standard bubble mailer envelope, folded in half for double-protection on one side LOL :lol:

Hey at least it came without a scratch! 

Maybe the box was because it was an international order??

2 hours ago, KittBash said:

Mine has made the journey to Atlantic Canada safe and sound.

I was expecting this same thing but mine came in a box, I thought, "hey must have been because I ordered a couple of other things alongside it, cool!" 

Then I opened the box and I had to laugh as there it was...... a standard bubble mailer envelope, folded in half for double-protection on one side LOL :lol:

Hey at least it came without a scratch! 

Maybe the box was because it was an international order??

You probably have the only copy of that CD that exists in Canada! :lol:

(As I write this, I am calculating the number of hours it takes to drive to New Brunswick...)

16 minutes ago, BobaMike said:

Mine arrived today!

I wasn't sure if I had ordered it- I thought I had when it first went on sale, yet when I looked because it ended up being sold out,  I couldn't find any email confirmation..and then I went and sent a polite but irritated email to Disney about not being able to buy it.  Oh well!

Hilarious!

1 hour ago, BobaMike said:

Mine arrived today!

I wasn't sure if I had ordered it- I thought I had when it first went on sale, yet when I looked because it ended up being sold out,  I couldn't find any email confirmation..and then I went and sent a polite but irritated email to Disney about not being able to buy it.  Oh well!

image.gif

23 hours ago, Brando said:
23 hours ago, Foxfan said:

Given how rare a physical copy is: "It belongs in a museum!" :D

Too late, I just opened it!

Have you *seen* some of the stuff they display at museums?

31 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Have you *seen* some of the stuff they display at museums?

I think the last time I’ve been to a museum was 2016 and that was at the Smithsonian. They have Lincoln’s top hat so they could have a CD section :lol:

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

And every day that goes by without an announcement of a repressing makes it less likely it will ever get one, I think.

Basically true, but keep in mind that all the standard replies state that their policy is not to reveal any information about possible future stock. *If* they press another run, I wouldn't be surprised if they just do it out of the blue, and probably not right away (they seem to have a rather limited CD production pipeline, judging by how long some of the Legacy releases seem to take before coming back in stock).

In fact, when you produce such a limited release, the correct way to sell it would have been to organize a lottery.

Anyway, I can't wait for their 500-copy limited release of the movie on Blu-ray!

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Anyway, I can't wait for their 500-copy limited release of the movie on Blu-ray!

You're more right than you know.

Semi-related news: Disney discontinuing physical media in Australia and New Zealand.

Which means Dial of Destiny isn't even being released on Bluray in Australia (GOTG Vol. 3 will be the final Disney title released on home video here).

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Again? Didn't they just dis-discontinue releasing their films on Blu-ray?

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Again? Didn't they just dis-discontinue releasing their films on Blu-ray?

It seems like physical media is being phased out by regions. It won't be long before this happens in the US market.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

The physical CD format is from the 80s, when it was deemed 16bits and 44.1khz was good enough to go with for consumer release and it turns out yes, 40+ years later, those quality levels are still perfectly fine to go with.  Plenty of online digital music stores sell music at identical quality to what is on redbook CDs.  While many online digital music stores also sell higher quality music (24 bits, sometimes 32 bits / 48khz, 96khz, 198khz, sometimes higher), I completely understand why physical formats that tried to replace CDs like SACD and DVD-Audio never took over and replaced redbook CDs as the next ubiquitous format.  The upgrade in quality is just not relevant enough to the average joe, through a combination of many people not even hearing it and not having the right equipment, or desire to upgrade equipment, to even output it properly to begin with.  Additionally, replacing vinyl records or cassettes meant replacing media that was no longer playing the same as it was when first purchased with new media that played identically every time (barring severe scratches), while upgrading to SACD meant no change in that aspect, only a sound quality gain they might not notice.  I am glad the SACD format lives on a a niche market for the subset of consumers who do want this quality level.

Not to mention, it's debatable whether anyone can even hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/48, and a certainty that no one can hear anything greater than 24/48. The difference between 16/44.1 and 24/48 is so minimal it's not worth a format change. And anyway, such a format change would've probably been better suited for something like introducing lossless compression to allow fitting double the music on a single disc

Perhaps the mighty Nolan can still wield some power. 

“There’s much less compression, we control the color, brightness, and all these things. Streaming is like broadcasting a film, we don’t have much control on how it goes out.”

Source

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I dunno, I think on my setup, with a FiiO DAC and quality Sony headphones, I can tell the difference between ACTUAL 24/48 content in its native file and a version downmixed to 16/44.1

But of course, listening through the DAC built into my laptop, through bluetooth in my car, casually on small speakers or through earbuds, etc, of COURSE 16/44.1 is good enough and having 24/48 files stored on those devices would be a waste of space, indeed.

But I do find it a bummer that our specialty label heroes working on these amazing master recordings of film scores get to master their new albums in 24/48 or higher, but then the labels can only sell their work to us in 16/44.1.  I wish there was a way to sell the 24/48 to those who want it

I used to think based on this article that 24/48 couldn't be heard at all vs a proper 16/44.1 down-conversion.

I've since learned what dither actually is (random noise added to the high frequencies) and I believe that such noise should be audible since those frequencies are audible. If your 16/44.1 file was dithered it's possible that that's the difference you can hear. I would be curious to know if you could tell apart an undithered 16/44.1 file. But then again, for reasons I don't entirely understand that article above claims that the noise floor of a 16-bit file lowers with dither, so an undithered file might actually still have less dynamic range than the 24-bit file.