Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

5 hours ago, jerlgrain said:

Sad if this is only available via Disney and it has sold out already on CD. 

Yes and probably. They could announce another release but it’s not guaranteed.

18 hours ago, rough cut said:

Anyway, who here among all JWfaners want to confess to being the disgruntled editor of The Dial Of Destiny OST’s Wikipedia page? Might be time to change it… ;)

What I want know is, what was that about the San Francisco Symphony recording the score in that Wikipedia article?? That can’t be right, can it?

8 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

What I want know is, what was that about the San Francisco Symphony recording the score in that Wikipedia article?? That can’t be right, can it?

Likely a troll or someone that's misinformed. That was absolutely the Hollywood Studio Symphony, can't mistake their sound. Not to mention they're credited in the film itself.

2 minutes ago, Brónach said:

you can buy so many jerrys for two grand

Two grand is one thing, but back in the day, I could easily get 3-4 CDs for the $32 I paid for DoD alone. But again, I suppose I shouldn't complain, since I at the very least managed to order it.

39 minutes ago, Alex Shore said:

Its the album available at Disney Parks?

Most likely not. I think the only physical media I've ever seen in a Disney park was DVD copies of 'Dinosaur' in the gift shop of the ride Dinosaur. Great ride.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Parcel Order Manifested , Ready For Export
East Rutherford, NJ

2 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Same, en route to London. 

I just got 29 AUG Departed Processing Center East Rutherford, NJ. 

I contacted DME to ask what the limit to the number of copies allowed to be pressed was, as true limited releases should have this information available (and generally printed on the artwork/booklet.) The response was "about 1400 units."

11 minutes ago, whitenoise23 said:

I contacted DME to ask what the limit to the number of copies allowed to be pressed was, as true limited releases should have this information available (and generally printed on the artwork/booklet.) The response was "about 1400 units."

Wow, some kind of response. That was something, at least.

Wow, stunning response - no wonder it went quick.

And 70 (5%!) confirmed going to the fine folk here at JWFan (well, at least according to the poll respondents on the first page of this thread). 

4 hours ago, whitenoise23 said:

Is that total, including the first pressing and the new batches from the other week?

I'm genuinely amazed!  Fourteen hundred copies is nothing; I would have assumed they'd have pressed three or four times that number.

A bewilderingly odd decision...

7 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Mine arrived today damaged. Thankful to have this cd but it is definitely very low quality 

What does damage to a CD in transit have to do with its quality?

15 hours ago, whitenoise23 said:

"was made with careful consideration of varying factors"

They certainly carefully considered to ignore two quite important factors:

• It's music by JOHN WILLIAMS
  • written for an INDIANA JONES film

Update on the $7 tax issue -- they've responded to my query and say the tax should be there:

"There may be additional fees with this order per the shipping option you have picked: 7-21 business day shipping International Mail."

Is this the case for you as well, Marian? How did you manage to convince them that the tax was NOT correct?

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is this the case for you as well, Marian? How did you manage to convince them that the tax was NOT correct?

Here you go:

I have a question regarding the import taxes on my order. When placing the order, I was charged $22.65 "tax" in addition to the price of the CDs and the shipping fee. Based on the term "tax" and the amount (which seems to correspond with the Austrian VAT of 20%), assumed this tax was the EU/Austrian import tax, and that Disney Music Emporium had therefore already handled the import taxes.

However, the second part of the order arrived this week, and I had to pay the full import tax on both packages - including two times the handling fee, because the order was split into two separate shipments without my prior knowledge.

I would therefore like to know:
a) What really is the "tax" that I paid when I placed the order?
b) If it is indeed the EU/Austrian import tax: Was the shipment correctly declared as already taxed? Is there any confirmation of this that I could forward to the Austrian customs office to reclaim the VAT, which I have (if this is really the case) now paid twice?

However, it's now been 9 business days, and no refund has arrived on my PayPal account, so I'll be e-mailing them again.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Slowly I believe, that it is good, that Williams retired from film scoring. Imagining that from now on it would always be such a torture is unbearable.

Why do you think he's giving up in the first place? ;)

If they’re concerned about lack of profit from physical releases, how does only pressing 1400 copies maximise their profit?

Surely either you don’t do a physical release at all, or you press a darn sight more than 1400 - even the boutique labels don’t do that few.

I can only assume DME is making their marketing decisions by asking a stunned rabbit what it thinks is a good idea. Or maybe using an ouija board. Or rolling a dice. Any other theories?

Mark

59 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I can only assume DME is making their marketing decisions by asking a stunned rabbit what it thinks is a good idea. Or maybe using an ouija board. Or rolling a dice. Any other theories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Update on the $7 tax issue -- they've responded to my query and say the tax should be there:

"There may be additional fees with this order per the shipping option you have picked: 7-21 business day shipping International Mail."

I was also denied refund if the task, and am equally curious @Jurassic Shark @Marian Schedenig

Disney gave me lengthiest of answers to my polite request:

There are two types of taxes charged when goods are imported into a country: customs fees and VAT (or similar tax). Customs fees are placed on physical goods that are imported into a country from another country or territory. These fees are applied to international sales, but never domestic (unlike VAT, JCT, GST, SST, HST, QST, or similar tax, which can be applied to both goods imported into a country and goods sold locally). 

In general, the buyer is responsible for paying the additional costs such as duties, taxes, and customs clearance fees. In some countries, we are obligated to collect those as VAT on imported goods and to pay this over to the tax authorities. Most customs charges are due once the package arrives in the destination country. The amounts can vary widely and are often based on the price and type of item, package weight and dimensions, origin country, and the taxes, duties, and fees of the destination country. If a buyer and a seller are located in different countries, we inform buyers that additional duties and taxes (such as those charged at customs) may apply. This is to make it clear to buyers that they may be responsible for paying these additional fees.

We would advise that you contact your local customs office for more detailed information. 

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Disney gave me lengthiest of answers to my polite request:

This seems to contradict the information I can find on their help page:

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/help/

All international orders are responsible for any duties and taxes incurred upon delivery.

Please be aware that all orders shipping outside of the United States, no matter which shipping option is used, may be subject to additional duties, import taxes, or brokerage or customs fees upon delivery. These fees are calculated by your local government customs officials and we cannot estimate them prior to shipment. While we take steps to minimize or eliminate the cost of importing for our customers, we are required by law to provide accurate information to customs officials. Marking an order as a 'Gift' will not prevent fees from being charged.

Also, for Austria (and I believe all other EU countries), there is no threshold for VAT (there used to be one, €22, but it was waived a couple of years ago), which applies to all international orders; but there *is* a threshold of €150 for customs taxes.

If I read the message you got correctly, they claim that they will not collect VAT (which does apply), but that they will collect  customs tax - which at least in my case does *not* apply at all and therefore should not be collected, by them or anyone else.

54 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I was also denied refund if the task, and am equally curious @Jurassic Shark @Marian Schedenig

I received the money on my bank account one day after they replied they would give a refund.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I received the money on my bank account one day after they replied they would give a refund.

Any chance you could share the reply from your support person, so that I can shove it in the face of mine?

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

Any chance you could share the reply from your support person, so that I can shove it in the face of mine?

My request:

Dear Disney,

When I placed order no. xxx, which is an international order, domestic tax was charged. I assume this is a mistake, in which case I hope you will refund the tax.

Best regards,

John Williams

Disney's reply:

Hello,

We appreciate that you've taken the time to contact us!

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience. Your refund has been issued and should reflect on your financial statement within 3-7 business days. This time frame can vary depending on your financial institution. If your refund has not been processed within this time frame we urge you to reach out to your financial institution for further instructions.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Ariel
Customer Service

And yes, the customer service person did sign the email with Ariel.

Feel free to send Disney a new email identical to mine.