New Forbes interview with Mike Matessino about John Williams' career

Jay

If one looks at the earliest feature films John Williams scored, you see some fairly prominent director names that today are mostly known only among cinephiles — Frank Tashlin, Andrew McLaglen — and then Frank Sinatra, for whom John scored the only movie the actor/singer directed, “None But the Brave.”

I didn't know JW had scored a movie directed by Sinatra! What did Williams say about the experience of working with him?

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

This interview really left me wanting more. It’s always interesting reading/listening to Mike.

Agreed, it almost feels like they took very specific parts from a more comprehensive discussion. 

That said always love hearing from Mike! 

The article is very short and just seems to end abruptly. Feels like 1/3rd of a decent interview about JW. Thankfully Mike has shared a lot more in other interviews over the years, especially with the fabulous Legacy of John Williams podcast. This interview is like half an appetizer.

Eheheh....Williams calls movie theaters "the cineplex".   He probably calls iphones "telecommunication devices" and cars are "horseless carriages".  :P  I will confess to not knowing any of his 60's scores but loving his 50's jazzy albums.  I know and love his tv scores like Lost in Space but there is much to discover from his early career.  

This Forbes article is by the same author as this New York Times article, so I assume he interviewed Mike for that, then later decided to publish his entire interview with Mike in Forbes.

NYT: 

With moments of comedy and tongue-in-cheek suspense, that score was an early clue of “just how versatile John Williams could be,” said Mike Matessino, a producer of numerous Williams soundtracks.

Forbes:

I once asked Ian Fraser, who worked with Williams on “Goodbye, Mr. Chips” a couple years later, if had any sense on that project of just how great a composer Williams would become, and he said, “I knew it when I went to the sessions for ‘How to Steal a Million,’” as Fraser was at 20th at that time working on ‘Doctor Dolittle.’ The “Million” score is a mixture of comedic elements and some terrific half-tongue-in-cheek suspense writing that showed just how versatile John Williams could be. It’s also significant in that it is the first time he was given the opportunity to completely re-record music from the film for his own soundtrack album, so it really was a significant career milestone.

It's like getting the expanded reissue of the original presentation :)

On 04/08/2023 at 8:39 PM, Jay said:

Forbes:

I once asked Ian Fraser, who worked with Williams on “Goodbye, Mr. Chips” a couple years later, if had any sense on that project of just how great a composer Williams would become, and he said, “I knew it when I went to the sessions for ‘How to Steal a Million,’” as Fraser was at 20th at that time working on ‘Doctor Dolittle.’ The “Million” score is a mixture of comedic elements and some terrific half-tongue-in-cheek suspense writing that showed just how versatile John Williams could be. It’s also significant in that it is the first time he was given the opportunity to completely re-record music from the film for his own soundtrack album, so it really was a significant career milestone.

It's like getting the expanded reissue of the original presentation :)

I'm a little curious about this statement. I can understand he's talking about films and not TV shows like CHECKMATE or M SQUAD, but how would one define DIAMOND HEAD? Is it Hugo Winterhalter's theme song (which Williams uses extensively throughout) that "disqualifies" it from being the first film score he was able to completely rerecord for album?

Am I the only one who really doesn't see any significant value in asking someone like MM to describe the 'importance' of the most signficant director/composer relationship? (i.e. everyone knows about it)

It's a classic backslap-fishing exercise because no one in their right mind, when asked about any professional relationship is going to say anything negative, and they're definitely not going to discuss John Williams in any fewer terms than the greatest ever film composer because that's populism.

I echo the above - more podcast appearances to discuss his restoration work in detail is far more useful and interesting than this stuff.