John Williams is the guest on this week's "For Scores" podcast with Jon Burlingame

Jay

• JW says the "N-word" instead of "the bad guys".
  • He does not exclude returning to Vienna and Berlin.
  • Australia seems to be on his bucket list.
  • The VPO, BPO and SKO are all among the greatest orchestras.

44 minutes ago, BB-8 said:
  • JW says the "N-word" instead of "the bad guys".
  •  

For one terrifying moment I thought JW was a Klan-sympathizer in disguise until I remembered the other controversial "N-word" that shouldn't be said at all.

Love this podcast. Never guessed Jon would get John Williams on this show. 

Highlight is John saying James Mangold is "so young and full of energy and promise" as if isn't a 60 year old man. Lol

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Whenever I hear these new interviews, it's always a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand, I'm saddened by the continual reminder of Williams' advanced age. The slightly slurred speech, for example, even though he's sharp as a knife, mentally. Or the fact that the interview questions aren't deep or detailed enough, or that the topic is about Indiana Jones rather than more obscure stuff. All of that.

At the same time, I'm appreciative of whatever I can get at this point in time, and it's always a pleasure to hear him speak....about anything.

Anyways, kudos to Burlingame for landing another JW interview!

Had the same kind of sad feelings which were amplified by the melancholic background music.

43 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Had the same kind of sad feelings which were amplified by the melancholic background music.

When he spoke of the barriers of time and energy, a slow rendition of Indy's theme was playing... 😢

20 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Really? If there is ANY podcast that John Williams would do, it would be a Jon Burlingame/Disney produced podcast. Burlingame has had Williams as a guest on previous audio productions (80th birthday show on KUSC-FM) and has interviewed him for Variety so it seemed inevitable that Jon would get John.

-Erik-

Oh I didn't know that! I was always under the appreciation that John Williams is kinda hard to nail for interviews. 

23 minutes ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Oh I didn't know that! I was always under the appreciation that John Williams is kinda hard to nail for interviews. 

Oh he is… but not for certain people. 

-Erik-

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

Maybe onto the cello piece next.  

He may have already finished it. Mike said he was recently working on a few projects, and Williams said something in the interview about finishing a couple of things. I could be wrong as there was never any finish or premier date mentioned about the piece. 

No mention of any upcoming film related project? I know he plans to do another one but for Spielberg. 

P.S. Not accesible in my region as yet..

At this stage of his career, Spielberg is now a Williams-score-eliciting machine for my money. 

Also, thrilled to hear about those “couple things” he’s finishing. Before he said that, I was just lamenting that he’s going to spend nine precious months working on a concerto whose charms will almost certainly fly far over my head.

43 minutes ago, Amer said:

No mention of any upcoming film related project? I know he plans to do another one but for Spielberg. 

No such mention. He is asked whether he has retired from scoring, to which he responds "no," particularly if the film in made by Spielberg.  

1 hour ago, Amer said:

too bad i also have this problem

Strange he didn't mention LSO, but can't remember them all.

I was struck by their contention that this will be his first piano concerto. If you disregard the old piano sonata (I can forgive him for forgetting a piece from when he was 19 years old), aren't "Conversations" and "Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra" piano concerti? Or would they be characterized otherwise?

I know, but I've noticed sometimes that something is called a concerto even if doesn't have 'concerto' in the title. So I'm curious if the pieces I mentioned are technically a piano concerto, even if they don't have the name. Especially "Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra".

10 hours ago, Amer said:

Not accesible in my region as yet..

9 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

too bad i also have this problem

I put six different places it can be found in the main post. None of them work where you guys live? 

Gotta love how Disney finds a way to make everything difficult... 

OK, so there must be other elements present, like an orchestra (not just solo piano), there must be movements and it's generally of a wider scope than things like his piano sonata, "Conversations" or the "Scherzo"?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Strange he didn't mention LSO, but can't remember them all.

He did refer to the recording sessions at Abbey Road. These were with the LSO, I presume.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, so there must be other elements present, like an orchestra (not just solo piano), there must be movements and it's generally of a wider scope than things like his piano sonata, "Conversations" or the "Scherzo"?

I think in the case of the piano, Williams was partly just being agreeable to the host, who clearly was unaware of the prelude/scherzo piece.  But, Williams is confusing on this--how he does not consider something like Treesong to be a full fledged concerto, I don't know.  It has more movements and is longer than the harp concerto.  

1 hour ago, Thor said:

OK, so there must be other elements present, like an orchestra (not just solo piano)

A concerto is just a sonata for solo instrument and orchestra.

The first movement of a sonata or concerto is in sonata form:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_form

16 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Really? If there is ANY podcast that John Williams would do, it would be a Jon Burlingame/Disney produced podcast. Burlingame has had Williams as a guest on previous audio productions (80th birthday show on KUSC-FM) and has interviewed him for Variety so it seemed inevitable that Jon would get John.

-Erik-

Also, Burlingame did that three hour USC interview with Johnny that included lots of talk of his early life, intro to the industry, etc.