HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Today is the 32nd anniversary of the day Hook opened in theaters, and The Legacy of John Williams has published an essay from @John Takis titled "John Williams and the Music of ‘Hook’"

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2023/12/11/hook-essay-by-john-takis/

Podcasts coming soon!

Nice 🙂

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thank you @JohnnyD, very kind!

"Indeed, good form."

You are most welcome. I'll also add that hearing the unused sections of music in the score as well as all previously unreleased music was revelatory. LOVE IT! Also, for Apple Music library, I changed my mind and decided to use the Drew Struzan cover on the booklet as the album art for discs 1 & 2 and use the front cover as the album art for disc 3.

Prior to receiving this, I happily threw the obsolete 2012 LLL 2-disc set in the trash.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Today is the 32nd anniversary of the day Hook opened in theaters, and The Legacy of John Williams has published an essay from @John Takis titled "John Williams and the Music of ‘Hook’"

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2023/12/11/hook-essay-by-john-takis/

Lovely and nicely personal article.  I am not sure why, but the picture of the young JW (well, 1980s' young) made me a little sad--that man has been such a large part of me life for decades.  

He scores childhood so well.  Hook, HA, HP, ET, BFG--damn.  

Here's an article about The Mask of Zorro which features a lengthy description of a visit to the Hook set on May 31, 1991

https://www.slashfilm.com/1416901/the-mask-of-zorro-oral-history-interviews/

Spielberg was quite the multi-tasker!

Question: Farewell Neverland (Alternate Short version) is an intended cue for a shorter alternate edit of the finale or is just an additional track that omits the middle cue created for the narrative of the 3rd disc?. Reading the liner notes implies that, but the name of the track implies the former...

I suppose there was no available disc space to place the complete finale. Is the first segment a different performance or the same as the main program?

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Question: Farewell Neverland (Alternate Short version) is an intended cue for a shorter alternate edit of the finale or is just an additional track that omits the middle cue created for the narrative of the 3rd disc?. Reading the liner notes implies that, but the name of the track implies the former...

I suppose there was no available disc space to place the complete finale. Is the first segment a different performance or the same as the main program?

It's the same performances as the normal version, only the end is different. And yes, removing the (non thematic) middle cue allowed for more bonus tracks (and strengthened the musical narrative)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It's the same performances as the normal version, only the end is different. And yes, removing the (non thematic) middle cue allowed for more bonus tracks (and strengthened the musical narrative)

yeah but you should have known a lot of us here would want to put the version with that awesome ending in the main score program, so now we have to re-edit the middle back in ourselves

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but you should have known a lot of us here would want to put the version with that awesome ending in the main score program, so now we have to re-edit the middle back in ourselves

I don’t see any reason to complain on this one. Since it’s the same takes it’s a super easy edit to do.

On the other hand, where i was dissapointed at first as the two cues were meant to merge, in the end im glad rufios entrance is separate from the lost boys chase, so we can edit it easily with any of the two versions. 

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

It's no different from any other case where one prefers an alternate version to a film version and wants it in the main program. I've had several of those and have to work out how to work it in.

Given the number of bonus and alternate tracks, and hence repetition in this set, you can surely handle one more. It's just not possible to represent every single idea/variation Williams did without having to play some bits twice.

I'm not saying 'don't complain'... I'm saying... you got what you wanted and it's 99% perfect.

I just read that childhood, mothers and believe are modern 2001 demos for a cancelled bricusse musical.

I'm really missing the 90's sessions julie andrews version of Childhood, i would have loved to add it to the main program.

Moira's lullaby is for an alternate scene of "Saying goodnight", right? Is it sung by Caroline Goodall?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I'm really missing the 90's sessions julie andrews version of Childhood, i would have loved to add it to the main program.

I’m sure All Will Be revealed in the future as has been foretold, but the booklet heavily implies that it was a scratch vocal just used to guide the film actress and not meant to be heard.

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Am I hearing synthesizers in the orchestral version of When Your Alone?

Performing the melody? I believe so. There's actually tastefully deployed synth throughout Hook ... for example, I believe it's usually a synth celeste.

Glad you enjoyed the essay, @mstrox!

I absolutely love this new release! It is fantastic! Very well produced and made. So amazing to hear the battle music in great quality without volume dips. Well done LaLaLand Records! Great job I am very impressed. Hook is the first movie remember watching as a kid. It has always been my favorite John Williams soundtrack.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Removing the middle cue of Farewell Neverland on disc 3 allowed the instrumental When You're Alone, alternate Exit Music, and vamp section of Take Me Out To The Ball Game to be added. You wouldn't have those if the track contained all three cues again.

you are absolved you your sins then .

But what I would have done is keep the 3 cues of Leaving Neverland seperate like the recording sessions ( listening wise it wouldn't change anything at all ) and just include the last cue on disk 3, making things easier to move around AND saving disk space

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m sure All Will Be revealed in the future as has been foretold, but the booklet heavily implies that it was a scratch vocal just used to guide the film actress and not meant to be heard.

I understood it as like maggie smith was going to lipsync julie andrews performance, and that scene was going to be filmed on the last day, so if they had the andrews performance it should have been a definitive recording…

Mods can delete this for copying something verbatim from the booklet if needed, but the booklet says:

Spoiler

To accomplish this, Bricusse engaged his equally venerable friend and colleague Julie Andrews to make a recording for Smith to perform to on the set, with the intention of finalizing the track later.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

It was a demo that Julia sang, and was essentially the same thing as the Never Song and Stick With Me demos - All of these songs were intended to be sung by the actors if the songs remained in the film, but the scenes were never shot and the actors never recorded their versions. 

Just out of curiosity, was it ever considered including the Julie Andrews-demo on this set? I don't suppose she would agree to that, though.

I'm still waiting for my set to arrive and the wait is absolutely killing me! I might start with disc 3... I'm so intrigued by the songs.

Something I've been curious about but haven't asked because I don't want to come off as though I'm complaining (I'm definitely not!), but was there intended to be synth brass/strings throughout the last third of both versions of Low Below? The brass is definitely synth in the full/vocal version, whereas the strings are synth in the instrumental version (and possibly the vocal version). I have to assume this was either A.) intended by John or B.) temporary and intended to be rerecorded later, but not (due to the song being cut). Then again, they sound a lot more like modern virtual instruments, so I'm not sure what's going on there. They still sound great no matter the situation!

Ok so there's this cool march like motif that's in Pirate Sequence Instrumental ( 1.30-2.00) and Smee's Concertina (0.35-0.58) that I wish Williams had used in the main score with his more traditional orchestrations.

Just wondering why is 'The end of Hook' (track 8, disc 2) not ended the way it is ended in the movie? It there ends witch four final bursts of the orchestra as Hook disappears in the mouth of the crocodile, but in this track the music continues after this while in the movie there is silence. Anybody knows why?

2 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Just wondering why is 'The end of Hook' (track 8, disc 2) not ended the way it is ended in the movie? It there ends witch four final bursts of the orchestra as Hook disappears in the mouth of the crocodile, but in this track the music continues after this while in the movie there is silence. Anybody knows why?

The score was recorded as presented on the disc, but the movie removed that bit of music for dramatic effect (IMO a good decision).

16 minutes ago, Dirk said:

On the album you're hearing what John Williams wrote and recorded for the scene.

For the final film, Spielberg decided to drop some of the music in the dubbing stage.

There are many other spots throughout the whole movie where Spielberg dropped music that Williams recorded.  I think they are all mentioned in the liner notes.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:33 AM, JohnnyD said:

Prior to receiving this, I happily threw the obsolete 2012 LLL 2-disc set in the trash.

You could have sold it on Discogs. 

6 minutes ago, RustyNail said:

Is the film version of the end credits not on this release?

I guess it was dropped because it would have required a fourth disc. 

12 minutes ago, RustyNail said:

Is the film version of the end credits not on this release?

The End Credits assembly that John Williams intended is on the release.

For the final film, The Lost Boy Chase section was shortened, and the Exit Music section was replaced by material tracked in from The Arrival of Tink and Farewell Neverland.

8 hours ago, Tydirium said:

It would be cool to see that music synced up with the scene, to see how it would have worked (assuming the movie wasn’t edited more after it was recorded).

If you subscribe to Film Score Monthly Online, it's this month's "Score Restore" video! (That's Volume 28, No. 12, December 2023, for future reference.)