Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Didn't Intrada say they had a "couple" JW releases in the pipeline? I wonder if one will be released this year. It's about time. 

I hope that they will be The Patriot and Nixon as Intrada has access to Disney, whereas other labels like LLL can work on the Universal stuff like BOTFOJ and the Sony stuff like Hook.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

plus all of the concert pieces, of course

Here I again must point out the LLL Harry Potter Box, which contains the concert suite.  I wished this would happen more often. 

53 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Here I again must point out the LLL Harry Potter Box, which contains the concert suite.  I wished this would happen more often. 

It contains it because JW recorded it all at the film sessions.

Well we had

• reissue for: E.T., CE3K, Jurassic Park, The Lost World
  • new releases: Amistad, Presumed Innocent, SpaceCamp, Sabrina

I assume SpaceCamp, Sabrina, JP, Presumed Innocent and Amistad were the five titles even though JP was a reissue as it features new materials

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It just hit September 1st a few minutes ago!

Where's the LLL flyer?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?

image.png

Friday Cali time!

On 31/08/2023 at 2:43 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Well we had

• reissue for: E.T., CE3K, Jurassic Park, The Lost World
  • new releases: Amistad, Presumed Innocent, SpaceCamp, Sabrina

I assume SpaceCamp, Sabrina, JP, Presumed Innocent and Amistad were the five titles even though JP was a reissue as it features new materials

It has been clarified months ago that JP wasn't to be considered as one of the five.

Sounds like not taking MM's words too literally might help. Things come out when they come out. If he thought that 5 new releases might out out this year, it's probably a best guess based on what he knows about their production.

Intrada having a few in the works is a good thing to look forward to, although I'm more excited about their JNH/Zimmer expansions personally. I don't think you're making the wait easier by only counting the minutes until the next Williams release.

However I am having the feeling that we are not getting enough JW expansions. We are on an average of 3 or 4 per year, which surely is better than nothing but given how many titles are left to be worked it well be virtually impossible to have them all released, even not taking into account the most recent titles which are affected by the high reuse fees. And most of all, that is even more true if every new release is going to need Williams' approval, given the age of the Maestro 😕.

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. Truth is if I were to listen to one score album that I own per day (which I don't at present) it would take me more than six years to get through them all. That's over and above all the non-score music I own, so add another two years for that. Yet I continue to purchase stuff (albeit at a slower rate due to the cost of living increasing monthly) in the hope that some day I'll get to enjoy it. I have actual John Williams scores (not only expansions mind you, actual OSTs) that I have never listened to.

On 02/09/2023 at 11:07 AM, ciarlese said:

However I am having the feeling that we are not getting enough JW expansions. We are on an average of 3 or 4 per year, which surely is better than nothing but given how many titles are left to be worked it well be virtually impossible to have them all released

Considering how many expansions some composers have and how difficult some of them are, I'd say 4 expansions for one composer in a year is a freakin' miracle. Most other composers (except JG perhaps) get a look in the expansion market maybe once every few years. It's why it irks me a tad when someone complains it's been 'x months' since the last Williams expansion when fans of some other composers wait many years for just a few.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

That was not the big non-Williams title he's mentioned twice on Maurizio's podcast.

Ohhhh. So there's 2 separate non Williams titles that are big that he's working on?

Mike never used "big" to describe the Munsters release.

He said:

More immediately there is a release that will be announced very soon that has been in the cooker for a long time, and I hope it will be well received for both what it is as well as for where it might potentially lead.

And then

I hope I’m still half cool when it’s revealed that we are knocking on a different door in the hallway than the usual ones. Nothing to do with John Williams, although there is a quote from him in the booklet.

Source.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike never used "big" to describe the Munsters release.

I didn't realize that was what he referred to, I was referring to what he said in the last podcast. Maybe I misheard what he said.

In the latest podcast episode, he brings up the big non-Williams title that he had mentioned previously on the podcast, with the update that it seems like it will out by the end of this year.

He never said anything about The Munsters on the podcast at all. 

• 2 months later...