Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi (James Mangold)

Edmilson

As a curiosity, this is the second time disney borrows an Old expanded universe title for one of their movies.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1391/star-wars-dawn-jedi-void-novel-preview

45 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

This can also be the second John Powell SW score, as James Mandgold is the producer of Call of the wild and director of Knight & Day, both were scored by Powell 

🤞

Or Giacchino, or Desplat...

It could, but since 3:10 To Yuma Btrami has been his go to composer with the exeption of Knight & Day.

So it's more likely to be Beltrami, but we'll see.

I don't see this film coming out anytime soon as Mangold has now 3 films in eitger (post)production or the writing stage

The only thing that might make me excited about this is if JW scores it.  It sounds like it could be his first "swords and sandals epic" type of score

On 07/04/2023 at 7:11 PM, Bellosh said:

So ummmm...Disney must have loved how Indy 5 turned out.

Exactly what I was thinking... you don't offer a director SW if they've just tried to do an Indy movie and the suits didn't love it.

Musically, agree that at 'worst' it'll be Powell or Beltrami, and at best, Williams. Although of those three, I'd choose Powell personally.

To get this right: they made a Star Wars sequel trilogy, gave them to different directors, which turned out to be a disaster, and now they're making a new trilogy of movies, give them to different directors, and go "it'll be fine".

I predict none of these will be made.

• 11 months later...

The initial 'okayness' I had with Dial wore off fairly quickly.

The story was as hollow as my ex girlfriends heart.

I can only assume there will be plots and arcs resolved off screen in this SW movie 

Edit: me and @Yavar Moradiposting these at the same time is the duality of man.

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

The initial 'okayness' I had with Dial wore off fairly quickly.

The story was as hollow as my ex girlfriends heart.

I can only assume there will be plots and arcs resolved off screen in this SW movie

But Dial of Destiny wasn’t written by this writer (story or script).

It’s not as if James Mangold wrote the script, either. He’s not Rian Johnson.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

Who wrote Dial? Koepp?

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

He's got a writing credit on it.

And he's pulled some of the stuff before.

I'm pessimistic to say the least.

But then again nothing can be worse than TROS

On 07/04/2023 at 3:11 PM, Bellosh said:

So ummmm...Disney must have loved how Indy 5 turned out.

I don't think they still feel love for Indy 5 after this:

image.png

And especially not after this:

image.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2024/03/31/indiana-jones-whips-up-130-million-loss-for-disney/

If (and that's a big if) Disney decides to continue with the project, there's a huge chance Mangold won't remain onboard and they'll just hire some other sucker director.

Also, Mangold has a Swamp Thing movie for DC, which Gunn described as a "passion project" for him. So, which one of these two career-killing franchises he will embark: Star Wars or DC?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think they still feel love for Indy 5 after this:

image.png

And especially not after this:

image.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2024/03/31/indiana-jones-whips-up-130-million-loss-for-disney/

If (and that's a big if) Disney decides to continue with the project, there's a huge chance Mangold won't remain onboard and they'll just hire some other sucker director.

Also, Mangold has a Swamp Thing movie for DC, which Gunn described as a "passion project" for him. So, which one of these two career-killing franchises he will embark: Star Wars or DC?

I have no idea how that audience score is 88%

After a rewatch of Dial everything was see through.

9 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I have no idea how that audience score is 88%

@Jurassic Shark spent a whole weekend creating numerous accounts at Rotten Tomatoes to give a high score to Indy 5 :lol:

As for the box office, I still remember a year ago when some people thought Dial would be the Top Gun: Maverick of 2023 :unsure:

2 hours ago, Faleel said:

Who wrote Dial? Koepp?

Primarily, yes, I’m pretty sure. But I think there were several credited writers, which is probably why it felt such a mixed bag and “by committee”.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

He's got a writing credit on it.

Yeah I’m sure he offered some input but writing was not primarily his responsibility. He got a credit on Logan too, but I’m sure that script was good primarily because of Scott Frank, let’s be real here.

I'm pessimistic to say the least.

Clearly.

But then again nothing can be worse than TROS

Easily the worst Star Wars film of the Disney era, but I’d rather watch it a second time than any of the prequels.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Easily the worst Star Wars film of the Disney era, but I’d rather watch it a second time than any of the prequels.

Yavar

Eh, not me, but then I grew up with them lol

6 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Eh, not me, but then I grew up with them lol

Nostalgia is certainly a powerful thing. I’m just barely old enough to have grown up on the pre-SE original trilogy… so when those came out I found them to be an abomination already, and then the prequels were like all the worst parts of those turned into full length films with terrible scripts, acting on green screens, and just the worst plotting and character development I’ve ever seen in films of that stature.

I’m sure there are kids who love The Rise of Skywalker who will grow up defending it as a great finale, lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nostalgia is certainly a powerful thing. I’m just barely old enough to have grown up on the pre-SE original trilogy… so when those came out I found them to be an abomination already, and then the prequels were like all the worst parts of those turned into full length films with terrible scripts, acting on green screens, and just the worst plotting and character development I’ve ever seen in films of that stature.

I’m sure there are kids who love The Rise of Skywalker who will grow up defending it as a great finale, lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Yavar

I grew up with these:

il_fullxfull.2039871441_pbu4.jpg

817bhNs0NhL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

back then I preferred the SE's, as they felt "warmer" for some reason.

These days I prefer the OUT, with a few exceptions (restored music in EMPIRE)

If Beau Willimons writing is anywhere close to what appeared in Andor then that gives me hope this could actually be good. 

A part of me feels that the protagonist will be a white brunette female with a British accent. (Not saying this is bad or good but just an observation of characters that have appeared in Lucasfilm productions). 

Annoyingly I can't find the vhs releases that I grew up with, but they were pre special edition.

I'll never forget the excitement my dad had at watching the special edition release of ANH in the cinema, being so excited that he got a parking ticket because we were in a hurry to get to the cinema. And I missed TESB but can remember my mum took me and the son of her work friend to go watch ROTJ. 

For DOD it certainly is interesting to have such a high audience score while losing a whole lotta money but also having no fanfare about views on Disney Plus, almost as if the scores given on sites like rotten tomatoes are pretty much worthless. 

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I got to see Episode III again in a theater last year and went in fully jazzed and ready to give it 10/10 as a fan experience, and I'm gonna be honest, Lucas's direction did kinda make me miss JJ Abrams after awhile.

I still think it's a better conclusion to its own trilogy than Rise of Skywalker, and even has more satisfying fan service as a farewell to the saga, in its way. But my memory of that movie was that it's pretty much a roller-coaster between its big moments and oof, all that stuff between Order 66 and the showdown on Mustafar, especially, I just wasn't feeling the urgency at all. I think of those 20-30 minutes as a crucial failure of that movie now, the circumstances of the story are so desperate and yet the movie feels weirdly meh about it because of how stiff it is. 

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Primarily, yes, I’m pretty sure. But I think there were several credited writers, which is probably why it felt such a mixed bag and “by committee”.

it was Koepp who I assume did previous drafts that was then re-written by Mangold's usual writing collaborators: Jez and John Butterworth

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

A part of me feels that the protagonist will be a white brunette female with a British accent. (Not saying this is bad or good but just an observation of characters that have appeared in Lucasfilm productions). 

that has happened in two Star Wars series out of...how many are we up to now? 10? 20?

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah I’m sure he offered some input but writing was not primarily his responsibility. He got a credit on Logan too, but I’m sure that script was good primarily because of Scott Frank, let’s be real here.

Clearly.

Yavar

nothing from Disney excites me anymore, let me wallow in my jadedness

Nothing Star Wars can excite me knowing that there will never be another Knights of the Old Republic 2. No Disney Star Wars property will ever touch the darkness, nuance, horror, depth and originality that that game provided, and certainly not from the director of Indiana Jones 5: Depression of the Lost Youth. At best it can only... echo it, if you will. :)