Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

I sent an email asking when they were going to put more copies of the cd on sale and a week later they answer me this:

"I apologize for any inconvenience, but we do not have anticipated restock dates for out-of-stock items.

To stay updated on product availability, I recommend checking our website regularly. New items may become available at a later date, and the website is the best place to find the most up-to-date information. You may also consider subscribing to our newsletter, which provides the latest updates on new products, back-in-stock notifications, and exclusive promotions"

Out-of stock?? If it's a limited run, what's the point of checking the website regularly? 

I would like to believe that they are going to put more copies on sale, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In case someone cancels their order.

It was very specifically stated on the site that the pre-orders could not be changed or cancelled because they were pre-orders. This is what prompted me to order it when it was it was still available; it sounded just strange enough to make me nervous.

Mine is now updated too, says I can expect it at my house by "Thursday, July 27 by 7:00 P.M. "

8 hours ago, OMATRES said:

Out-of stock?? If it's a limited run, what's the point of checking the website regularly? 

I would like to believe that they are going to put more copies on sale, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

I'm pretty sure that they've got internal communication problems regarding (at least) this specific information. Regardless of whether it's (as claimed) a strictly limited edition or not, most departments will treat this as "just one of our many items on sale" and will defer to the standard policy, which clearly is that a certain number of items is produced, then sold, and then (maybe) new information about another production run is released (or not). I wouldn't read is as either confirmation or refutation of all the Indy CDs having sold out forever. As I said before though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(At this point, I imagine half of the people responding to these inquiries reading them and thinking: CDs? I have no idea what these boomers are talking about… let's have our standard sales people respond with our standard sales policies)

42 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm pretty sure that they've got internal communication problems regarding (at least) this specific information. Regardless of whether it's (as claimed) a strictly limited edition or not, most departments will treat this as "just one of our many items on sale" and will defer to the standard policy, which clearly is that a certain number of items is produced, then sold, and then (maybe) new information about another production run is released (or not). I wouldn't read is as either confirmation or refutation of all the Indy CDs having sold out forever. As I said before though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(At this point, I imagine half of the people responding to these inquiries reading them and thinking: CDs? I have no idea what these boomers are talking about… let's have our standard sales people respond with our standard sales policies)

Agreed.  

I just noticed at the bottom of the Filmtracks review a "bias check", stating what the average rating was for the composer reviewed. That's one of the most arbitrary dumb things I've seen.

So if a composer is really skilled and excels, he can't have a higher average rating than, say, uh, Lorne Balfe, because that would indicate bias?

2 hours ago, Damien F said:

That's not what the bias check does at all. It simply states the composer's average rating by Clemmenson from his reviews and the average user rating for the same composer.

It doesn't stop JW having a higher average rating than Balfe (which is 2.92).

I think he introduced this years ago because Zimmer fanboys were complaining he was biased against him.

Why do you first pretend it wasn't about bias, then in the very next sentence that it was?

The feature is stupid because it implies if the average skews higher or lower, there's potential bias.

It's literally in the name "bias check". 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Just the other day, I cashed a bias check at the bank.  The teller asked what denominations.  After thinking about it, I thought that I had better play it safe and just say "no preference."  

It looks like an AI generated joke, just saying... :whistle:

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

It looks like an AI generated joke, just saying... :whistle:

All me-now you know how Mr. AI got so "intelligent."  

Oh, and you're an AI generated joke.  

On 22/7/2023 at 6:58 AM, OMATRES said:

Some places hold back stock when it’s limited in case they have to send out replacements. After the initial orders are fulfilled they then sell the remaining few copies. I’m not sure if Disney does this or not though. Then there are cancelled orders also. 

On 22/7/2023 at 9:06 AM, TheTennisBallKid said:

It was very specifically stated on the site that the pre-orders could not be changed or cancelled because they were pre-orders. This is what prompted me to order it when it was it was still available; it sounded just strange enough to make me nervous.

It says that but I canceled my preorder from them to reorder it when it was on sale. 

After living a while with the soundtrack album and listening in different track orders I finally ended with the following rearrangement:

1. Helena Theme with ASM as a prelude (the inconclusive sounding ending supporting this)

2. then the OST order starting with Germany 1944 until Centuries join hands

3. Shortened version of New York 1969 which cuts off before the Raiders march

4. Prologue

5. Helenas Theme.

This I find a musically very satisfying order. 

21 hours ago, Damien F said:

Where in my post do I "pretend it wasn't about bias"? That wasn't my point at all. You suggested that a skilled composer can't have a higher average rating than a less talented composer. I said that is not what the bias check does. It doesn't implement an upper limit on composer ratings.

But I totally agree when you say that a higher or lower average rating compared to the user average indicates bias according to the bias check. But I don't really care about bias on that site to have any opinion on whether that feature is worthwhile or well designed.

Huh?

How does a higher or lower average rating of a composer indicate bias? 

It's an evaluation of quality. Obviously not all composers' outputs are equal in quality.

That's the point.

There is no "bias" in simply evaluating quality in musical output. 

If anything, it should be called quality check.

If you don't want fair evaluation of composers' works, just give every score ever *** and be done with it.

Just curious, from anyone who did receive the soundtrack CD from Disney: how do they package the CD(s)? Do they use a bubble mailer envelope, or do they package it in a cardboard box, large or small?

(Those of us who still buy CDs have all had our frustrations with Amazon shipping them in flimsy envelopes...)

45 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Huh?

It's an evaluation of quality. Obviously not all composers' outputs are equal in quality.

That's the point.

If you look at it from the perspective of enjoyment from the music instead of technical prowess then there's a lot more room for evaluating quality.

Possibly my favourite score, Gladiator would probably score low on most peoples' indicator of orchestral sophistication, but that doesn't stop it being entertaining and emotionally affecting to me.

If a reviewer's job is to just find scores that are technically brilliant, they alienate half their audience who aren't concerned about all that and are more interested in how they work in the film.

4 hours ago, ajc384 said:

I read it as the bog-standard, cut-'n-paste boilerplate wording they'd send to anyone in response to any store item query, sadly.

They've previously specifically tweeted that the CD was a limited run and is sold out so - unless they suddenly unearth some unsold copies or decide to print another run - I imagine we won't see it available from them again.

Utterly infuriating!

Yes. You could have written about an out-of-stock T-Shirt from the movie Frozen 2 and Disney would have sent you the exact same response, word for word. 😅

A very arcane detail, but something about the sound of the Archimedes theme at 1:24 in "Centuries join hands" intrigues me - it appears to be a horn(s) line with added flute octave and harp accents, but something about it sounds more noble/open/round than other comparable passages... I'm curious if that might be wagner tuba instead, or just quietly doubled by trombone (?)

(Generally after more repeated listens this score reveals more and more intricate details, especially in the less "obvious" places... a real gem)

6 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Huh?

That's the point.

If anything, it should be called quality check.

If you don't want fair evaluation of composers' works, just give every score ever *** and be done with it.

It's not about comparing the average rating of composers' scores to each other. The point is to compare the average rating of the reviewer vs that of the audience, in order to see if the reviewer regularly gives scores of a certain composer better or worse ratings than the users of the site do.

A low average doesn't imply bias, provided both the reviewer scores and the user scores are consistent 

13 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

No Raiders March anywhere in the program?

Not in full fanfare mode, but it occurs several times during the program which is enough for me. If I want Raiders March overkill, I have 4 other soundtracks to chose from. This soundtrack is musically centered around Helena's Theme IMO. And the March at the end is especially jarring, so I got rid of it. 

3 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Not in full fanfare mode, but it occurs several times during the program which is enough for me. If I want Raiders March overkill, I have 4 other soundtracks to chose from. This soundtrack is musically centered around Helena's Theme IMO. And the March at the end is especially jarring, so I got rid of it. 

The last track on the cd has the End Title March which kinda sounds like an edit we heard on the original RAIDERS OST (sans coda)  The official END CREDITS  cue as heard in the film  isn't here.

The last track on the album is the ASM arrangement, actually.

The end credits music is on the album, it's the end of the track "New York, 1969" followed by the end of the track "Prologue", though the film version has a bit of material that isn't present in the album version

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The last track on the album is the ASM arrangement, actually.

The end credits music is on the album, it's the end of the track "New York, 1969" followed by the end of the track "Prologue", though the film version has a bit of material that isn't present in the album version

By the “end” of “Prologue,” don’t you mean about 5/6ths of the track…?

On 24/07/2023 at 4:26 AM, BB-8 said:

r/indianajones - The Rest

So, if you did receive the soundtrack CD from Disney, I'd like to ask: how do they package the CD(s)? Do they use a bubble mailer envelope, or do they package it in a cardboard box, large or small?

Disney seems to charge a lot for shipping single CDs; hopefully, they protect their merchandise when traveling....

4 minutes ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

So, if you did receive the soundtrack CD from Disney, I'd like to ask: how do they package the CD(s)? Do they use a bubble mailer envelope, or do they package it in a cardboard box, large or small?

Disney seems to charge a lot for shipping single CDs; hopefully, they protect their merchandise when traveling....