Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

This thread brings back memories of hunting for soundtrack CDs back in the flower of my youth...at HMV, secondhand stores, or later on eBay.

Now I'm subscribed to Tidal, and for a monthly fee I can listen to but never own Dial of Destiny.

Hmm. 🤔

Glad the CD will be available for those who still want to buy it. I already bought a lossless download and won't double-dip. Sucks that things shook out this way; I would have preferred to buy it on CD from the start.

Since a big part of the movie takes place in 1969, wouldn't have been cool if the John Williams had cameo'd some of his earlier soundtracks from that decade? It could have given a kind of authentic sparkle to the time period the movie is set in and would have been a hoot for any JW fan to discover!

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Since a big part of the movie takes place in 1969, wouldn't have been cool if the John Williams had cameo'd some of his earlier soundtracks from that decade? It could have given a kind of authentic sparkle to the time period the movie is set in and would have been a hoot for any JW fan to discover!

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/64ec99073c962-fitzers-of-the-lost-willy.php

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

rather than cameo, it's not a bad musical direction

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes! Exactly what I had in mind…. Hahaha! :lol:

Obviously, if something like this had happened for real it wouldn’t have to be this prominent but it’s a fun idea to play with. :)

Oh and would you look at that: my 3 000th post.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Man, what a score.  It's a score where I just love every single note of every single track so much.  Not a moment of fluff anywhere, just incredible from top to bottom.  They don't make em like that any more

Also its sister scores -- The Fury and Dracula.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Man, what a score.  It's a score where I just love every single note of every single track so much.  Not a moment of fluff anywhere, just incredible from top to bottom.  They don't make em like that any more

You mean DoD?

It's crazy that Disney didn't release a high res version of the album for purchase!!

However, if you want to have the score in 24-bit/96khz lossless format, you can download it from Disney’s FYC site:

https://debut.disney.com/fyc/twds/movie/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-1687388228406?tab=music

On 01/09/2023 at 3:32 PM, Jay said:

3- "Tuk Tuk In Tangiers" - the part from 2:28-end is not used in the film anywhere in Tangiers, it's used in the film when Indy and Helena steal a car and head to the tourist attraction in Sicily.  But the running theory is that it is a "wild" recording of her theme in action mode, that Mangold could stick anywhere it was needed.  I think for listening purposes it makes sense to just leave it where it is, but if you want to match its film use, you could attempt to stick it into the middle of the "The Airport" track.

What do you mean by this, Jay? The car stealing scene is much earlier than the airport sequence in the film, and the second half of the Tuk Tuk track doesn't seem to match either scene?

• 4 weeks later...

I don´t know if this is the right thread, but I just want to mention, that I compared the iTunes Version and the FYC hires version and they sound distinctly different. For my ears, the FYC is cleaner, while the iTunes sounds as if some additional processing like reverb etc has been added. Both sound good, but I prefer the FYC, since it gives me more the feeling to be in the studio. I am curious if somebody has compared the CD sound quality to those other versions?

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I don´t know if this is the right thread, but I just want to mention, that I compared the iTunes Version and the FYC hires version and they sound distinctly different. For my ears, the FYC is cleaner, while the iTunes sounds as if some additional processing like reverb etc has been added. Both sound good, but I prefer the FYC, since it gives me more the feeling to be in the studio. I am curious if somebody has compared the CD sound quality to those other versions?

The difference, as has been discussed, is that the FYC is in hi-res (96kHz/24-bit) whereas the album is in standard CD quality (44.1kHz/16-bit). Not to mention that iTunes audio is further compressed on top of that.

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I am curious if somebody has compared the CD sound quality to those other versions?

Nothing different, except that the CD master was of course resampled to 44.1kHz.

But no audible mixing/EQ/level/reverb differences compared to the high res FYC.

The tag information in the FYC files show that it's Patricia Sullivan's mastered output there, so this isn't a case where the FYC is the raw unmastered cues or anything.

the dust continues to settle with me on this score.

after numerous listens, i love the score even more and i've grown less and less fond of the movie.  the middle of this movie is just way too much of a slog to ever give this film replayability like the others.  i'd argue the middle of the film is just miserable to have re-watch.  Atleast with KOTCS, Ford is happy and involved in the lame 3rd act.  There's some fucking charisma!

my top 5 tracks:

To Athens

Prologue

The Airport

Battle of Syracuse

Centuries Join Hands

To Athens and Prologue would probably make my top 10 best Indy tracks of all time.  They ARE that good.

Prologue seems so far removed from the film too, almost like our first overture for an Indy film ---- the film is nowhere near as good as that cue is.  It's romantic and mysterious, ---- something Disney just can't seem to achieve.

He also mentions "the CD"...

It's really moving and even distracting to listen to him talk Vienna, Berlin and Japan with the Indy music constantly running in the background.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, BB-8 said:

It's really moving [...] to listen to him talk Vienna, Berlin and Japan with the Indy music [...] in the background.

This rings very, very true.

I just teared up a bit (in a mostly good, appreciative way) on this rainy Sunday here while listening...

On 11/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, A. A. Ron said:

[...] has become [...] offensive [...]

On a way off-topic note:

Almost everything seems to be offensive in some way or another nowadays, crazy human world ... which makes me a little bit sad inside ... but I have been making up for it in spades since June 1 2022... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently listening again to the album and really love the score. During "Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique" I remembered, that I always thought when listening to the Tintin score that this is like an Indiana Jones score without the Raiders March. So, the similarity to The Duel doesn't bother me and is somehow consequent.