THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

14 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Oh my god that Rescuing Sarah Alternate is so weird

Got my order in

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Wow! It really is messing with my brain to hear this track like that haha

Very cool!

1 minute ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Wow! It really is messing with my brain to hear this track like that haha

Very cool!

It sounds like a mockup. I don't understand.

25 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Awesome, how'd you find that (what'd I do wrong?)

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Awesome, how'd you find that (what'd I do wrong?)

Quite randomly, back in the days we could access the high resolution cover using the thumbnails below the main cover, if you remember, it was something like that:

image.png 

The second image was the high resolution cover, and replacing the size in the URL by "original" always led to the original file.

This still works now but it needs a bit more work:

27 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Quite randomly, back in the days we could access the high resolution cover using the thumbnails below the main cover, if you remember, it was something like that:

image.png 

The second image was the high resolution cover, and replacing the size in the URL by "original" always led to the original file.

Or...

You could click on the link that directs you to the hi res cover art:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 1.54.22 PM.png

13 hours ago, Holko said:

"alternate instrumentation". Mike probably thought they weren't interesting enough, but now included them just to have something.

Redacted!

43 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, I'm gonna ask this:

Why this new material couldn't be included in the initial JP collection?

Now I think maybe JW vetoed it originally.

16 minutes ago, EdG said:

Or...

You could click on the link that directs you to the hi res cover art:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 1.54.22 PM.png

That link takes you to a hi-res image, but it's not the original. click on those links again and zoom in. you'll see that they're different sizes.

I haven't heard the OST since 2016, but I'm curious which album edits are you guys going to recreate for your personal playlists (if any)?

I'm going to order tomorrow morning if the first batch is still available. I have no regrets now about losing the "box-set-that-wasn't-in-a-box" (I regret losing money on selling it, but I have no need for it now, thanks to this excellent reissue!).

18 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Just ordered it together with JP1 :)

Yeah, I think JP1 sales are going to drastically increase now that people know TLW is here :)

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I haven't heard the OST since 2016, but I'm curious which album edits are you guys going to recreate for your personal playlists (if any)?

All of them.

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I've always been one to edit the OST into the individual cues, rather than the other way around.

6 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

We need to gang up and beat the shit out of anyone who recreates the album Rescuing Sarah.

That track is actually why I was asking. I remade all the album tracks and even the 20th anniversary album tracks for the first Jurassic Park, but the microedited version of Rescuing Sarah is one track where I will absolutely draw the line! I just wasn't sure if people felt the cue combos on this OST held up as something worth revisiting once in a while.

Australian shipping report:

Screen Archives Entertainment: $16 (with a big red warning that lost packages won't be replaced unless one pays for express shipping)

Intrada: $20

La-La Land: $21.80

Ordered with Hot Fuzz to ameliorate the cost. Too bad the Australian dollar is in the doldrums.

37 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

That track is actually why I was asking. I remade all the album tracks and even the 20th anniversary album tracks for the first Jurassic Park, but the microedited version of Rescuing Sarah is one track where I will absolutely draw the line! I just wasn't sure if people felt the cue combos on this OST held up as something worth revisiting once in a while.

I recreated that edit myself with the box set release and found that compared to the original album there is a massive increase in volume between 2:12 and 3:18 (the location of the microedit). Putting it together took it from about -5db to almost peaking within one beat.

Needless to say, I never finished the project and promptly deleted the project data.

27 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I recreated that edit myself with the box set release and found that compared to the original album there is a massive increase in volume between 2:12 and 3:18 (the location of the microedit). Putting it together took it from about -5db to almost peaking within one beat.

Needless to say, I never finished the project and promptly deleted the project data.

Even if the edited version was worth creating that sounds like a real pain.

26 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Even if the edited version was worth creating that sounds like a real pain.

I just wanted to get some practice editing music in Logic Pro and while I'm a better editor for having done it, at what cost?

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

image.png 

Thanks @Chewy! I was able to get a 1425px version of the Jurassic Park reissue cover using this guide, don't think we had it previously. It's certainly got less JPG compression than the "high res artwork" link on the LLL page:

JP_RI_Cover__01186.jpg

13 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Unlike JP where I had to get used to the C&C, I really don't have any nostalgia for any TLW suites. I really don't like how the OST goes from the prologue scene on the beach into those screeching Compy strings and I never really noticed other cue combos. There are argument for the ordering of tracks for JP, and the suites are masterful, but I can't say either of those positives about TLW.