Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Isolated Score Track

DangerMotif

My personal edit is probably just going to start with the portal music and then transition into the album arrangement for most of it. None of the inserts are good enough to warrant the choppiness. None of them are well integrated into the larger piece. There's simply no momentum. The album arrangement actually flows well, even if I wish it was longer, but it still feels like a strong climax following the 10+ minutes of airport music.

I am watching the film with the track on. The prologue just ended. The film must have been cut to all this old music because it fits too perfectly. I'm no expert on any of this, obviously, but it feel like it would have been easier to write all new music rather than find bits and bobs from old scores and make them fit after the fact. Whether Williams did it himself or delegated the job to Ross, they were probably just copying the temp verbatim with a few new thematic additions where appropriate. For what it is, it works really exceptionally well. Dramatically, that is.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I am watching the film with the track on. The prologue just ended. The film must have been cut to all this old music because it fits too perfectly. I'm no expert on any of this, obviously, but it feel like it would have been easier to write all new music rather than find bits and bobs from old scores and make them fit after the fact. Whether Williams did it himself or delegated the job to Ross, they were probably just copying the temp verbatim with a few new thematic additions where appropriate. For what it is, it works really exceptionally well. Dramatically, that is.

Karol

For anyone with more than passing knowledge of these scores it still sounds extremely disjointed and bitty, a bit of cue from here and a bit from there. In the film the sound effects, dialogue etc. might hide some of it but on its own the cues cobbled together (whoever did it) sounds like a pretty awful mishmash. I would have taken original music interpolating some of the older Indy themes over this any day.

44 minutes ago, Incanus said:

For anyone with more than passing knowledge of these scores it still sounds extremely disjointed and bitty, a bit of cue from here and a bit from there. In the film the sound effects, dialogue etc. might hide some of it but on its own the cues cobbled together (whoever did it) sounds like a pretty awful mishmash. I would have taken original music interpolating some of the older Indy themes over this any day.

I am not disagreeing with that. But hey, if you eliminate all the cues heavily leaning on old material (entire prologue, New York chase, Ross cue, Rossini Menu, and second part of Tuk Tuk chase), you end up roughly with 95 minutes of new music. Yes, you still have some new old bits in new cues but there's also new stuff in the ones you remove. So I guess it is still a really good chunk of brand new material. A full score, really.

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've been thinking. Isn't the ending of the album version Tuk Tuk chase meant for the scene where they steal the car in Sicily?

Karol

Meant for? Who knows. It is that recording heard there, though, yes!

On 01/09/2023 at 12:59 AM, Jay said:

4 - "Teddy Is Kidnapped" (which runs 1:39:10-1:41:55 overall) has two bits replaced by tracked music.  First, a short section of "To The Airport (Patch 2)" is heard somewhere (don't have the timestamp handy), and then when they steal the wedding car, 34 seconds of "Helena In Action" is tracked in from 1:40:26-1:41:00.  This is an interesting one, because the title could imply its a "wild" recording of her theme in action mode.  It doesn't appear anywhere else in the film, but Williams put it at the end of the "Tuk Tuk In Tangiers" OST track, where it's almost twice as long as this film use.

It could be anything! All we know is that he titled it "Helena In Action", included it in the Tuk Tuk OST track, and then a shortened edit of it is used in a different scene in the film.

Maybe it was a variation he came up with in the early stages when he didn’t know if he was going to score the whole film, for Bill Ross to use in action sequences. 

Exactly, hence my hypothesis that it could be a "wild" recording made to be slotted in anywhere appropriate, and not written to specific footage (Tuk Turk, wedding care theft, or otherwise)

Yeah my edit is just the opening that transitions into the OST as soon as possible, including that ending section. I am very impressed with the way this album was assembled overall, aside from being too short. It’s a miracle they made it as coherent as it is with how scrambled the score is in film.  

WAAAAAAY easier said than done. Trying to combine the two sources is pretty dirty work. The OST and iso each have tons of small snips all over them. It’s very difficult to restore all of them, particularly when the two have slightly different mixes. You often get audible changes in the reverb when cutting between the two. So a lot of judgment calls have to be made - is this distortion/edit in the iso bad enough that it’s worth editing around? Is the edit I created to try to incorporate all the various inserts organic or is it so distracting that it derails the music? I am mostly done with my first “draft”, and I believe I’ve lost about 5 minutes of music, stuff like all the awkward inserts in the Battle of Syracuse, since I threw my hands in the air and deferred to the OST for that section. I’m going to try to create a film version edit to keep as a bonus track, but we’ll see. 

I am not a trained music/sound editor, though, so others may have an easier time. I’m also using Audacity, which is not the most user friendly.

Also, the isolated score is a different speed than the OST album.

The OST album presents the music as recorded.

But blu rays present films at 23.976 frames per second instead of 24 frames per second, so the music in the isolated score is slightly too slow.

At least to my ears, it doesn’t sound different the way the Hook prologue was, for example. You can edit between the two without pitch changes that I consider audible. The difference is too slight. It does make matching the two to make edits very difficult, however.

14 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

WAAAAAAY easier said than done. Trying to combine the two sources is pretty dirty work. The OST and iso each have tons of small snips all over them. It’s very difficult to restore all of them, particularly when the two have slightly different mixes. You often get audible changes in the reverb when cutting between the two. So a lot of judgment calls have to be made - is this distortion/edit in the iso bad enough that it’s worth editing around? Is the edit I created to try to incorporate all the various inserts organic or is it so distracting that it derails the music? I am mostly done with my first “draft”, and I believe I’ve lost about 5 minutes of music, stuff like all the awkward inserts in the Battle of Syracuse, since I threw my hands in the air and deferred to the OST for that section. I’m going to try to create a film version edit to keep as a bonus track, but we’ll see. 

I am not a trained music/sound editor, though, so others may have an easier time. I’m also using Audacity, which is not the most user friendly.

Damn usually it's easier

Just lots of extremely jarring edits. If you haven’t listened to it, I’d recommend listening to the film version of Battle of Syracuse, which, imo, is the worst offender. There’s also lots of these weird, artificial reverb cuts they did on some of the cues to stretch them out, I guess. There isn’t really any editing around it, and it sounds like shit. Also tons of looping which is nearly impossible to remove in many cases. 

On 06/12/2023 at 7:08 PM, Jay said:

But blu rays present films at 23.976 frames per second instead of 24 frames per second, so the music in the isolated score is slightly too fast.

If I understand correctly, that makes the Blu-ray 0.1% slower than the actual projected movie in theatre, hence the isolated score is slightly slower. Am I wrong?

On 06/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Taikomochi said:

Just lots of extremely jarring edits. If you haven’t listened to it, I’d recommend listening to the film version of Battle of Syracuse, which, imo, is the worst offender. There’s also lots of these weird, artificial reverb cuts they did on some of the cues to stretch them out, I guess. There isn’t really any editing around it, and it sounds like shit. Also tons of looping which is nearly impossible to remove in many cases. 

Meant to get around to posting something similar with my qualms of the film version, but you said it perfectly.

On 07/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, ciarlese said:

If I understand correctly, that makes the Blu-ray 0.1% slower than the actual projected movie in theatre, hence the isolated score is slightly slower. Am I wrong?

You're right!  I fixed my post!

47 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

No, that is why Blu-rays drag on forever.  

Just in case anyone from the UK is having a panic about whether the UK version has the isolated score in Dolby Atmos on the 4k disc - fear not, it does. (apologies for the blurry display on the amp)

IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2242.jpeg

5 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

I'd be happy to just get a breakdown which tracks to use from each the iso score and the album to make up a "proper" 2 CD set.

On 03/09/2023 at 6:16 PM, Jay said:

as someone who loves the score to Dial....American Spy all the way until Jump is very very confusing to listen to at times.

It's like I enjoy it because it's the 'hits' and very familiar.  But for the life of me I can't tell you exact moments in the film where these cues take place.  Well obviously I can take a guess with the cue titles, but even then I can barely drill down to the moment.

It's fun none the less to listen to...but it might as well be 1 compilation track to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is something well-known, but I just stumbled upon an isolated soundtrack audio option in the last Indiana Jones movie. Is that something usual I've been oblivious to the whole time?
Here are the tracks:

image.png

This is a rip of some Blu-Ray 4K disc, I don't know exact region or edition.

So I guess if you want to just enjoy Maestro's music live without all that unnecessary dialogue and other sounds... I guess you can now :D

Do you know other movies that were released with such option?

EDIT: I just found another thread that mentions this... well, my question still stands: do you know other movies that did this?

• 2 weeks later...