Jump to content

HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs


Jay

Recommended Posts

Jonathan Ross will be playing “Sword Fight and End of Hook” on Saturday’s CLASSIC FM at the Movies, this Saturday 2nd December after 7pm (U.K. time)

 

The show can be streamed live using this: https://www.globalplayer.com/

 

And the episode can be listened to on-demand afterwards here: https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/classicfm/uk/46wcBXy/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jonathan Ross will be playing “Sword Fight and End of Hook” on Saturday’s CLASSIC FM at the Movies, this Saturday 2nd December after 7pm (U.K. time)

 

image.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Did they get rid of Andrew Collins after that disastrous JW interview or is that unrelated?

 

Personally, I loved Collins's playlists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apparently the show can be streamed using this: https://www.globalplayer.com/

 

It'll be on catch-up afterward here: https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/classicfm/uk/46wcBXy/ 

 

(the bitrate will absolutely suck though - don't anyone get any ideas of having a decent sounding temporary rip)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all that info, @Jay! Very interesting. I always noticed that “Prologue (Alternate)” on the 2012 album was in a higher key and with a slightly different orchestration in spots, but it never really occurred to me why it was faster than the standard OST version; that all makes sense now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Juanki said:

Jay, may I know if is it worthy to keep any of the previous release if you are getting this one?? I guess everything is on the ultimate edition.

 

On 24/11/2023 at 12:08 PM, Jay said:

There is nothing available on the previous expansion (or any boots or leaks for that matter) that is not included in the Ultimate Edition.

 

Well, unless you count some wrong takes that don't offer anything different musically, just are not the performance Williams and Murphy selected to be used in 1991.  Everything on the new set is the correct intended performance edit where applicable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

 

It'll be on catch-up afterward here: https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/classicfm/uk/46wcBXy/ 

 

(the bitrate will absolutely suck though - don't anyone get any ideas of having a decent sounding temporary rip)

The bitrate isn't really the issue, their idiotic dynamic range compression obsession is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't normally notice - I use Global every day to listen to LBC (not a music station). I just ripped the file for a catch-up show and noticed how low the bitrate was. It's going to be optimised for people using the app when they're on the go. It's probably not meant to sound 'good'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, mstrox said:

I was mainly just trolling Matt on this one because he’s so hardline.  I fully expect the main program to be an improvement on the OST in this particular case.  I do want to apologize, since I realize you have some ownership in this situation - I’m not being shitty about the release!  Didn’t think it through.

 

Thank you for saying that Mike, but you have no need to apologize, I knew you were joking around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, King Mark said:

BTW it's great Jay your working on these expanded editions , you might have some insight into the mind of a JWfan that MM might not even have

 

Thank you Mark!

 

 

18 hours ago, King Mark said:

The version in the trailer seems REALLY fast

 

I think that was probably because you had heard the OST album hundreds of times and knew it very well, so then seeing the teaser trailer again (or for the first time) when it hit youtube or whatever, it would certainly seem weird and fast and wrong!

 

Now that I've been familiar with the as-recorded speed for a while, it seems completely fine and normal to me, and if I were to listen to a rip of the old OST CD I am sure I would think it sounds slow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

The bitrate isn't really the issue, their idiotic dynamic range compression obsession is.

 

Without dynamic compression, the bitrate would probably be even more of an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Juanki said:

Jay, may I know if is it worthy to keep any of the previous release if you are getting this one?? I guess everything is on the ultimate edition.

 

The artwork, liner notes and/or simple nostalgia are all valid reasons to keep the previous releases. But in terms of musical content, the new LLL set is a total replacement (and then some!) for the 2012 set. As for the 1991 OST, it has no music that is not on the new set, although there are some unique "album edits" in terms of how certain cues are combined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Presto said:

When/where was the first name reveal? I seem to have missed it.

 

Probably Discord several years ago. I've known his name for a while but don't remember when people started using it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope I didn’t accidentally doxxxxx Holko!


I’m excited for this!  Hook is a score that, like The Phantom Menace and Temple of Doom, is inextricably tied to the nostalgia of the earliest days on this site for me.  Those rips got a lot of play from me in the late 90s and very early aughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember talking about Temple of Doom a lot twenty years ago.

 

Just sayin'. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All jokes aside; what an age we live in. I still can't wait for this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I vividly remember talking about TROS 20 years ago. Even 8-year-old me couldn't forgive the exclusion of Lando's Arrival. 

 

I impatiently read the new tracklist on a daily basis and I still can't believe this release is finally happening. What will happen to @Holko's video now? 

 

You jest, but I remember an early tracklist for the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack making its way online. It contained a track called I Am the Senate that was nowhere to be found on the final album.  When we all realised this scored a key scene and was impossible to rip cleanly from the surround mix, some people were... dismayed, to say the least.

 

For some of us, twenty years of people ripping video games has thankfully filled in a lot of the gaps in this score. But officially, this still remains unreleased. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I wouldn't normally notice - I use Global every day to listen to LBC (not a music station). I just ripped the file for a catch-up show and noticed how low the bitrate was. It's going to be optimised for people using the app when they're on the go. It's probably not meant to sound 'good'.

 

Is it possible that the bitrate used for LBC is worse because it's a talk radio?

Classicfm on DAB has a good quality and they are going to upgrade to DAB+ in January, so it shouldn't be difficult for them to provide decent bitrate on streaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

What will happen to @Holko's video now? 

I was so happy to delete it instantly on announcement! People who miss it can just play the last sample on loop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Did they get rid of Andrew Collins after that disastrous JW interview or is that unrelated?

What's this?? A disaster of an interview? What happened? Is there a link to watch or listen to it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Is it possible that the bitrate used for LBC is worse because it's a talk radio?

Classicfm on DAB has a good quality and they are going to upgrade to DAB+ in January, so it shouldn't be difficult for them to provide decent bitrate on streaming.

 

No this was a ClassicFM catch-up I looked at. It'll be the same files the app uses (and which every LBC presenter is now required by law to badger us about) so they'll be wanting to minimise file sizes for people using data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Holko said:

I was so happy to delete it instantly on announcement! People who miss it can just play the last sample on loop

 

They could also click on this link and hit "Refresh" when the hook gets attached:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twzaorplSzE&t=71s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.