HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I would just like to add that Williams's action music from 1989 to 1993 (i.e. between his "golden age" of 1977 to 1984 and his post-Lost World modern age) is very underrated. On this period we got "Escape from Venice", "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", "On the Tank", "Belly of the Steel Beast", "The Land Race", "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" and, of course, "The Ultimate War". They're so fun and yet so intense!

Speaking of The Ultimate War, I can hear some echoes from it on The Phantom Menace, particularly "Anakin Takes Off in Spaceship".

Yes -- and really great to hear the new inserts (I think?) in "The Ultimate War"!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I can hear some echoes from it on The Phantom Menace, particularly "Anakin Takes Off in Spaceship".

I can hear some Coruscant-esque material in Peter's Challenge 4:54)

And of course, The stories are true feels like a more lighthearted TPM Emperor theme appearance

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I guess that in a way Hook is like an ancestor to both The Phantom Menace and The Philosopher's Stone (more the latter than the former, and HP1's other parent would be Home Alone).

Yup, Hook's material and the Burglars are basically cousins, also Hook has some shades of Accidental Tourist (1:58 of Healing Process and Peter Remembers) and still some Crusade-ness (the cimbalom in Hook's Entrance and Ultimate War) and even Temple of Doom/Olympic Fanfare and Theme (Ultimate War)

Is From Mermaids to Lost Boys, the first time Williams used melodic choir for something beautiful in a major way?

Empire and Superman have short sections more in the background, Raiders, Temple, and Jedi have it more for dark mystery/evil.

EDIT: forgot about Empire of the Sun :pat: Though, at least it's not technically fantasy.

Just watched the movie again tonight: what a cool experience after having been exposed to this new presentation!!

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I guess that in a way Hook is like an ancestor to both The Phantom Menace and The Philosopher's Stone (more the latter than the former, and HP1's other parent would be Home Alone).

Some of the action material towards the end of Hook reminds me of Naboo palace action material in TPM.

EDIT: It’s too bad “The Stories Are True” is missing the gorgeous flute/oboe version of the “Mothers” theme at 0:13, that can be heard at 0:11 in the “Granny Wendy” OST track! It’s missing in the movie too, so I get it, but considering the fact that the “Granny Wendy” OST take does have that solo and is also at a slightly faster tempo, it would have been nice to have that album version included.

It feels weird without the tune, since the chords there are clearly outlining that theme. I thought “The Stories Are True (Alternate)” would have it, but that version of the cue goes in a totally different direction at that spot. So unless I’m missing something, it seems the OST or 2012 expansion is still necessary if you want that bit, albeit in inferior sound. :( Thankfully it’s just 7 notes!

EDIT 2: I’m dumb. As per @John Takis, it’s in “Forgotten How to Fly”!

4 minutes ago, John Takis said:

Nothing is missing on the new release. The track "Granny Wendy" on the OST is a combination of two different cues, "Forgotten How To Fly" and "Wendy's Entrance." You'll find what you're looking for on CD 1, Track 10!

I stand SO happily corrected. You just made my night; thank you!!! It’s one of my favorite little spots, so I’m very happy it’s here after all! My mistake was thinking that “Granny Wendy” was a combo of “The Stories Are True” and “Wendy’s Entrance.”

8 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I couldn't find anything in the booklet about who sang Stick With Me and the Never Song...?!

Somewhere in this thread Jay quoted Mike Matessino saying, that information is lost. Nobody knows, who sang these songs. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Somewhere in this thread Jay quoted Mike Matessino saying, that information is lost. Nobody knows, who sang these songs. 

Leslie bricusse?

12 hours ago, Will said:

Yes -- and really great to hear the new inserts (I think?) in "The Ultimate War"!

Regarding those… i didnt hear any new- different music from what im accustomed to. Were they in the old boots? I thought they were unreleased, but maybe the dissapointemt was they were not in the First LLL edition

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Leslie bricusse?

Regarding those… i didnt hear any new- different music from what im accustomed to. Were they in the old boots? I thought they were unreleased, but maybe the dissapointemt was they were not in the First LLL edition

Only in the film previously.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The two inserts in "The Ultimate War (Film Version)" were not on the previous LLL edition and could not have been heard anywhere unless ripped from the film itself until now.

Can you point me the timestamps of the inserts, please?

It's the Peter Pan theme when he arrives (followed by the quiet passage for Hook's response), and the Lost Boys theme when they arrive.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

The two inserts in "The Ultimate War (Film Version)" were not on the previous LLL edition and could not have been heard anywhere unless ripped from the film itself until now.

yeah I did hear spots where I didn't recognise the music.

So having listened to the whole thing I must say it sounds fantastic and it's overall amazing.

I might relegate a few song tracks to Disk 3 :

We don't wanna grow up (it sucks no matter the  version)

When your Alone

Pick Em Up. (the first part is annoying)

Add in Main Program:

Replace Banning Back Home with the alternate one

Add instrumental When Your Alone at the spot of the vocal version.

The Never Band to replace Pick Em Up  (I was so relived when that popped up with a clean opening on disk 3).

Try to add Farewell Neverland Short Version and Exit music alt. (if the editing required it clean)

I also kind of like The Pirate Sequence Instrumental so maybe I can put that in somewhere like the end of disk 1

Songs I liked:

Childhood

When Your Alone short version not sung by little girl (it would have been awesome to have the whole song with that singer)

Mothers

Believe

Songs I don't care about or dislike:

We don't wanna Grow up (both versions)

The Never Song (that's terrible)

Low Below

Stick with Me

Maybe someone more knowledgable about this score could help answer this question: why is the film version of “The Lost Boy Chase” presented as an alternate on Disc 3, rather than in the main score program? I’m talking mainly about the drums that score the basketball sequence after the chase.

11 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Maybe someone more knowledgable about this score could help answer this question: why is the film version of “The Lost Boy Chase” presented as an alternate on Disc 3, rather than in the main score program? I’m talking mainly about the drums that score the basketball sequence after the chase.

Doesn't it replace orchestral material with a percussion overlay?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Why so many people hate Banning Back Home? It's so good! I listen to it and I'm immediately transported to the late 1980s/ early 1990s - and I wasn't even alive back then! A true time capsule of a very specific period.

It reminds me of a Wii channel lol

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Why so many people hate Banning Back Home? It's so good! I listen to it and I'm immediately transported to the late 1980s/ early 1990s - and I wasn't even alive back then! A true time capsule of a very specific period.

I was alive then and don’t want to be transported back.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams wanted it that way.

It's fascinating that Williams actually remembers and/or cares about such small details.

That being said, I will probably switch those cues, as I prefer to have the actual film verion on the main program. 

Alright it's easy to edit Farewell Neverland so you get the twinkly ending in the long version

Now I have

Hook Main Playlist :Complete score +songs I like at the end

Hook Extras (Stuff I don't want to listen to again like the album version of certain cues,We dont wanna grow up,  Never-song...etc)

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

I love Banning Back Home! JW wears Grusin well. Can't wait to hear the full-length version.

The first thing that comes to my mind are women wearing those bizarre typically early 90s haircuts:

r/90s - Does anybody miss the early/mid 90's hairstyles on women?

Celebrity Hairstyles From the '80s You Completely Forgot About

And people on the streets talking on phones such as this:

cell phone | Phone, Motorola dynatac, Best mobile phone

And as I said I wasn't even alive back then! (I was born in 1993)

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Hook Extras (Stuff I don't want to listen to again like the album version of certain cues,We dont wanna grow up,  Never-song...etc)

Why do you keep stuff in a playlist that you don't want to listen to again?

I had a skim of everything and there are probably two tracks from disc 3 that I'd keep, along with about a CD's worth from the main program.

Love the plucked strings in the instrumental version of "When You're Alone" -- an archetypical John Williams orchestration.  Can't believe this was never released before.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Why do you keep stuff in a playlist that you don't want to listen to again?

I had a skim of everything and there are probably two tracks from disc 3 that I'd keep, along with about a CD's worth from the main program.

Well it's just there in case I need to reference it but I'll probably only listen to my main playlist

1 hour ago, Dr. Know said:

Love the plucked strings in the instrumental version of "When You're Alone" -- an archetypical John Williams orchestration.  Can't believe this was never released before.

it's also different from the re-recordings we have (Prague,orlando pops...)

18 hours ago, Goldfingers said:

Here is the script of the scene, so you can understand its length and the events that unfold.

Whoa, thank you! This provides a lot of helpful context to visualize how this scene would have played out in the film. Are Childhood and Moira’s Lullaby also in the script? I assume the entirety of When You’re Alone was originally.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think the film version works that well, musically. The build-up to the theme in the album version is more satisfying.

The film version has more buildup....

Do we know what the Fanfare at the end of Tink Grows Up was supposed to score?

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Whoa, thank you! This provides a lot of helpful context to visualize how this scene would have played out in the film. Are Childhood and Moira’s Lullaby also in the script? I assume the entirety of When You’re Alone was originally.

No, "Childhood" and "When You're Alone" do not appear in the script (at least not in the ones I have), "When you're alone" is simply mentioned as "Lullaby" without more details. (No lyrics).

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I’ve wondered about this too for a while, @Goldfingers would you know?

He flies to the Lost Boys in preparation for war. I don't know what was exactly filmed. Probably a very short special effects shot that serve to transition to the Lost Boys preparation shots we have in the final cut. 

The battle is not exactly after that scene. There is a deleted scene between that moment and the battle with Maggie and brainwashed Jack in captain costume.

1 hour ago, Goldfingers said:

There is a deleted scene between that moment and the battle with Maggie and brainwashed Jack in captain costume.

Damn, that sounds really cool. Wish we could see that somewhere :(