HOOK Ultimate Edition - MUSIC Discussion

Jay

18 hours ago, Jay said:

On the album you're hearing what John Williams wrote and recorded for the scene.

For the final film, Spielberg decided to drop some of the music in the dubbing stage.

There are many other spots throughout the whole movie where Spielberg dropped music that Williams recorded.  I think they are all mentioned in the liner notes.

Thanks, for some reason I really wanted the ultimate war to be without edits between the three tracks, just one seventeen minute ride ending with the four bursts. 

I think that, the more you listen to the full cue as Williams intended it to be heard, the more you will appreciate the inclusion of the short passage that Spielberg didn't use.  It's how you get from the end of the action, to Peter seeing that his kids just want to go home, and he has to immediately leave everyone in Neverland behind.

Finally got it. I went through the first two CD and it's so great to finally hear it properly. The sound is absolutely perfect, MM really did a terrific job on it. Looking forward to hear the third CD I'm so curious about it.

I apologize for asking this question, but I truly value having a 'short-program' option, especially when an Expanded release is out and the OST is not reproduced in its entirety...

Therefore, I'd like to inquire directly to @Jay: How can I replicate something closest to the OST (but chronological of course) with this new expansion? I presume you've already been working on that!

And for an ever shorter experience, I came across a South Korean LP of Hook that omitted two tracks to accommodate the OST on a single LP: 'Remembering Childhood' and 'The Ultimate War.'

Sometimes, you only have time for a quickie! :lol:

This 1 h 25 playlist, made with the tracks LLL (or Jay?) selected as 'excerpts' on their website, is quite good as well!

(I hope I've inserted the alt and bonuses at the right places...)

image.png

54 minutes ago, Bespin said:

the tracks LLL selected as 'excerpts' on their website

Are you taking about the samples? I chose those, with input and final approval from Mike. Neil cut them.

The intents were to showcase that we had everything that was missing before, not give away all the surprises, and make sure all twelve of the major themes were covered.

It was not an intent to pick tracks that would make for a good mini album or anything like that. In fact, I've mentioned already that it's our strong preference that everyone listens to the new album as we've constructed it as their first listen, and only do custom playlists after you've heard it our way once.

Thank you Bespin. I do vaguely remember that, I wonder how long ago that was?

I started helping Mike with these releases over 7 1/2 years ago, and Hook is the 25th release I've been a part of. And it was the first one I started on!

13 hours ago, Presto said:

The Stories Are True (Alternate).

I dig this version of the cue too. Love the ominous approach Williams took with it!

16 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

I dig this version of the cue too. Love the ominous approach Williams took with it!

It's kinda a precursor to POA.

I believe I've listened to everything. It's interesting in the third disc to hear that some very well-known themes from Hook were initially songs. This makes me realize that John Williams is truly an unrecognized songwriter. Now, I would very much like for a songwriter to add lyrics to the score of E.T. or Jurassic Park. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I would very much like for a songwriter to add lyrics to the score of E.T. or Jurassic Park. Thank you.

Here you go

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I believe I've listened to everything. It's interesting in the third disc to hear that some very well-known themes from Hook were initially songs. This makes me realize that John Williams is truly an unrecognized songwriter. Now, I would very much like for a songwriter to add lyrics to the score of E.T. or Jurassic Park. Thank you.

Agree on that.....  almost like he will not admit he is good doing songs.

Much of Williams music / themes  are very lyrical..... 

But just see how clever he is with  orchestration and  arrangements with OTHER composers / writers works: 

"Fiddler on the roof"......  "Goodbye mr chips" ....   almost like making them  his own.......

Oh wow so it's new, I just assumed it way the alternate on the old one! Any particular reason that it's the one in the main program even though it's not the one that was used? Just a Mike or JW preference?

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pieces of four different takes made up the final performance edit used in the actual teaser trailer, and that performance edit was re-created digitally by Armin Steiner in 1991 for the OST album's digital master.

"Prologue" on the new set is Mike re-creating the same performance edit from the 1st gen material.

"Prologue (Extended Version)" is a new performance edit Mike made using just 2 of those 4 takes, with the goal of showcasing two ideas performed on some takes that didn't make it into the final performance edit: the extra viola rendition of Peter Pan's theme, and the extra boom-tzz near the end.  The entire track is 100% a different performance from "Prologue".

It is stuff like this that make me excited to hear the podcast interview. Speaking of which, is that coming sometime this week?

18 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

It is stuff like this that make me excited to hear the podcast interview. Speaking of which, is that coming sometime this week?

I believe someone said it would come soon, but they wanted listeners to listen to the music for a bit before doing a deep dive on the film/film score.

Thanks for your detailed answer!

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

It isn't known why that viola rendition of Peter Pan's theme was only performed on the final take.

That's the most puzzling thing to me! In the sketches, the viola theme is written where it should be and then crossed out, so I assumed it was Williams's initial idea to have it there, but eventually removed it (too long?). The fact that it was only performed in the last take would imply he ended up wanting to restore it after several takes of the revised version. That's what's puzzling me! This is also why it feels like the music actually heard in the trailer (and OST) is actually a sort of "Prologue (Shortened Version)" while the "Prologue (Extended Version)" is the full composition.

In any case, I'm glad MM put the "extended version" as the first track of the full program since those extra 6 bars of viola work very well under the continuation of the trumpet ostinato.

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

On a script level, songs were always a part of this film.  The family was going to be at a school play where the kids in the play sing a song, the lost boys were going to have a song to chant while training Peter, and Maggie was going to sing to the enslaved children to remind of their mothers.  These were all simple songs sung in-universe, not the Musical thing where they are showstoppers with choreography and are for the benefit of the audience to get insight into what characters are thinking.

But that's why Williams and Bricusse began writing songs in October of 1990, for those three songs the script required.  And it's no surprise those are the only songs remaining in the final film (with the obvious caveat that Mothers got replaced by When You're Alone and the enslaved children subplot was mostly dropped).  Because while yes, Spielberberg liked what Bricusse and Williams came up with for those scenes so much he thought maybe this was the time to finally do a full musical like he'd been wanting to do for so long and set them on writing more song options.... that's not how do a proper Musical: You don't start with a completed movie script, then find places to stick in songs that elucidate the ideas in the script.  You write the songs first that say what you wan to say, then write the rest of the script around them.  I think Williams realized this, based on this quote from Steven Spielberg from the summer of 2002:

"I had nine songs," says Spielberg. "I photographed two of them and at [composer] John [William]'s request cut them out of the movie. John was the one who saw them cut together and said, 'This is not the right template for a musical.' So we abandoned nine months of work and I just told the straight story of Captain Hook." (source)

That's interesting. Reading that I thought, that the original animated Disney movie Peter Pan also wasn't really a musical in that sense. Just every group in Neverland, apart from the mermaids, gets introduced by a song. The pirates song, the lost boys song, the indians song, Then a lullaby by Wendy for the lost boys, and another pirates song. And the choire singing on the flight from and to Neverland. But apart from the second pirate song the songs have hardly anything to do with the plot. They are more some kind of introductions of the characters or groups.

Of course that introduction approach wouldn't have worked for Hook as the characters are already known and just revisited in this story.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

That's interesting. Reading that I thought, that the original animated Disney movie Peter Pan also wasn't really a musical in that sense. Just every group in Neverland, apart from the mermaids, gets introduced by a song. The pirates song, the lost boys song, the indians song, Then a lullaby by Wendy for the lost boys, and another pirates song. And the choire singing on the flight from and to Neverland. But apart from the second pirate song the songs have hardly anything to do with the plot. They are more some kind of introductions of the characters or groups.

Of course that introduction approach wouldn't have worked for Hook as the characters are already known and just revisited in this story.

And the Main Title is a song too right?

Now that we have 2 complete/unedited versions of Banning Back Home, which one is your favorite?

They are both similarly structured as ABA': A introduces the main material, B starts with the solo bass leading into improvisation (and a brief and bright new flute theme in A major) and (after a long drum vamp) A' concludes with a shortened reprise of the beginning. Both versions have the same final section, but the film version cuts a lot of material from the opening section. Also, in the original version ("Extended Version" on the expansion), the new flute theme appears before the improv, while in the film version it cuts the improv in two.

For me, the form of the "Extended Version" is more coherent, and its longer improv builds a lot more intensity before the concluding section. But I can see how the film version could be more pleasing since you get to the improv much sooner, and it's spread out over two distinct halves around the bright flute theme, forming a sort of ABCBA.

So, which one do you prefer?