John Williams is becoming a Disney Legend

JNHFan2000

Ever since Disney bought Star Wars, I was WAITING for this to happen.

I might be in the minority here, but I am glad this will be happening.  

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They should announce there that JW is writing the score and songs for Moana 2. The Rock singing a John Williams song would be awesome.

Now all that we would need to see is The Rock and Temuera Morrison (Boba Fett) team up to do a Haka with the backing of a John Williams Polynesian sounding Drum piece.

24 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

"Disney Legends Award recipients will also participate in a hand print ceremony at the end of the event, and their bronzed prints will be displayed in the Disney Legends Plaza at the company’s Burbank headquarters."

Think John will show up for this? Maybe Harrison will have a new colonoscopy story to share with him?

JW: For many years now, I've dreamed of becoming a Disney princess.

Disney: It's Legend...

JW: Bummer, are you sure?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why not?

The Mouse owns just about every other fucking thing in the entire world.

Oddly not Dune, Oppenheimer, Barbie, or even Mr. Beast.

Currently the only new thing I'm watching on Disney+ is The Bad Batch. (And I'm loving it, sure.)

Oh, yeah. Star Trek? Not Disney. And we all know Star Trek...

If I were Johnny, I’d snub them for setting the artificial bar so high with all of Walt’s Oscar nominations that he didn’t really earn by himself. 

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

What a farce. Disney has gone so acquisition-mad under Iger that they’re now sending Bishop from X-Men (company employee!) decades into the past to inform various titans of pop culture that they’re actually working for Disney, who will own them forty years hence. 

I can’t quite articulate why this feels so icky to me, but it’s the same feeling I got when The Sound of Music and Miracle on 34th Street showed up in their respective decades on the Disney100 section of Disney+ last year. They were not affiliated with you! They were, in fact, directly competing with you!

Disney is basically Mother Gothel now.  

Wasn't one of his late 80's/90's scores loosely affiliated with Disney?

I'm not in the "Disney is the root of all evil" camp. But no, this one is not sitting well with me.

Although he has done 4 full scores and a handful of themes for The Mouse. But we all know they're claiming his legendary days as "Disney". Even then... They get Star Wars, Indy, Willow, Home Alone, and....? (I mean, not a bad run for any composer.)

But it's JW. If he wrote them a jingle last Tuesday he's still one of the most legendary composers they've ever employed! :D

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

JW: For many years now, I've dreamed of becoming a Disney princess.

Disney: It's Legend...

JW: Bummer, are you sure?

Randy Newman simply crowned himself a Disney princess:

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

JNH has written numerous Disney scores as well, everything from Dinosaur, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Raya, Maleficent, every Shyamalan movie from The Sixth Sense until The Village... Is he a Disney legend? And sure, even if you argue that most of these movies were flops but what about Thomas Newman, who did countless Pixar movies and even was nominated for an Oscar for two of them?

I mean. Yes?

War Horse and Lincoln were both released under Touchstone Pictures, so those were released by Disney. There is also The BFG.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

what about Thomas Newman, who did countless Pixar movies and even was nominated for an Oscar for two of them?

Did you mean Randy? Tom has only done 4.

I am just glad that I will no longer be the only one with bronzed prints of his hands in my office.  People were starting to worry about me.  

• 2 weeks later...

I could probably find out by googling around, but anyway - a question to all of you company-savvy people in here:

Has Williams ever done a Disney film PRIOR to Disney acquiring Fox etc.? If not, it's a bit strange to get a "Disney Legend" award when all the titles are indirect Disney titles.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

If not, it's a bit strange to get a "Disney Legend" award when all the titles are indirect Disney titles.

Star Wars is one of Disney's biggest franchises now, even if they didn't originate it. Regardless of whether you agree with them considering it their own (technically at least it is), at least they're consistent by honouring the people who made it what it is.

49 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Star Wars is one of Disney's biggest franchises now, even if they didn't originate it. Regardless of whether you agree with them considering it their own (technically at least it is), at least they're consistent by honouring the people who made it what it is.

Yeah, I suppose it's fine. I was just curious if Williams wrote anything DIRECTLY for Disney in his career, prior to the merger. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but then I'm not an expert on labels and companies.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I suppose it's fine. I was just curious if Williams wrote anything DIRECTLY for Disney in his career, prior to the merger. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but then I'm not an expert on labels and companies.

I am fairly sure that he did not.  

Technically Disney didn't inherit A New Hope until they bought Fox, I believe 

I knew there had to be something like Nixon in there. I guess that and War Horse are the only two films he scored to be affiliated with Disney in any way before they acquired Lucasfilm. Lincoln was finished before the acquisition but released afterward. If he'd scored Bridge of Spies, that would have been a third under that Disney/DreamWorks deal via Touchstone. 

I guess The BFG remains the only one in his career that was produced, branded, and released worldwide as a bona-fide Disney movie. 

It’s such a stretch. 

It’s not like Harrison Ford grew up doing Disney family films like Kurt Russel, or John Williams scoring the Cat From Outer Space and Swiss Family Robinson. 

A-ha! NIXON and WAR HORSE! The first is a very strong (and somewhat underrated) score, and the second one of the three best he's done since 2005. So even if there was no acquisition, at least there are those two! :)

Googling around, it seems Hollywood Pictures closed shop in 2007, and Touchstone in 2016.

Lincoln also would have been released by Disney/Touchstone regardless, and I don't think there's any particular reason Spielberg still wouldn't have ended up doing The BFG for them. 

Lincoln also would have been released by Disney/Touchstone regardless, and I don't think there's any particular reason Spielberg still wouldn't have ended up doing The BFG for them. 

So should we count LINCOLN too?

I don't see why not. I mean, again, if any of those eight movies count at all as Disney, it's clearly The BFG. Everything else is splitting hairs. 

In terms of the actual production, Nixon doesn't seem to count as a Disney movie any more or less than The Rise of Skywalker, really. 

As Andy said, the whole "Disney Legend" thing is a stretch, anyway. Disney is more of a player in the John Williams story than John Williams is in the Disney story. 

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I don't see why not. I mean, again, if any of those eight movies count at all as Disney, it's clearly The BFG. Everything else is splitting hairs. 

I suppose, yes. No "inherited property" on that one. Doesn't matter if it's post-acquisition.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Actually funnily enough, another piece that you could classify as "stealth Disney" is "Soundings" which he wrote for the debut of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. 

That's true. Never even thought of that.