Who is able to compose music for Avatar 2

Darth Mulder

Rah, rah, rah!

Go for it, Mike! :lol:

Seriously, though, either Giacchino, Powell, or Desplat would  be good. Since, however, I have absolutely no interest in AVATARs 2 through 26, I'll retire from this thread. Tatty bye!

5 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

The question should be,

Who can compose music to please James Cameron?

Nobody. He could get the most perfect score ever concieved by mankind and would still hack it to bits.

Ok, shortlived retirement.

This will, undoubtedly, be Cameron's greatest challenge. My money is still on on one of the three listed above. Either that, or he gets an erstwhile colleague of Horner's to arrange the original score, a la SUPERMAN II.

Hopefully not Gia. Although that would give me a good reason to totally ignore every aspect of this film 

James Newton Howard would be nice. Powell would be cool but I couldn’t see him using too many of Horner’s themes. 

Someone adapting Horner’s themes and then just giving them to Cameron to hack to bits.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Hopefully not Gia. Although that would give me a good reason to totally ignore every aspect of this film 

James Newton Howard would be nice. Powell would be cool but I couldn’t see him using too many of Horner’s themes. 

Someone adapting Horner’s themes and then just giving them to Cameron to hack to bits.

The first score is pleasant enough but there is hardly any worthy thematic material worth reprising. I mean, come on.

Karol

Alexandre Desplat?

I'm no great fan of his, but he might be able to take it somewhere interesting.

And, following a great emotional composer like James Horner, perhaps he would be willing to go a bit more all-out than I've heard of him so far.

Desplat certainly has the chops for greatness. I'd like to hear him accomplish it some day!

Although I think JNH would be perfect for this, I really like your idea Pieter_Boelen of Desplat because it would be an opportunity for him to use the 'prettiness' that he often does but actually translate it to something grander. 

I'm thinking Silvestri but it depends on how their collaboration washed up with The Abyss. Was that full of bad blood ala Horner on Aliens?

It's a twofold problem actually. Cameron is infamously difficult to work with, especially for composers. Williams wouldn't go near him. I doubt Elfman would put up with his crap either. Yet Jim seems to hold classically trained composers (like Horner and Williams) in very high esteem... then just hacks their work to pieces.

Horner's already established a musical tapestry for the series, so he'll probably want consistency going forward -- a blend of symphonic, synthetic and tribal/percussive. I can't see him going down the RC farm route, but his options seem surprisingly narrow for a high-profile score if he wants a classically trained composer with blockbuster experience -- who's prepared to put up with his shit not just for one film but four!

Assuming Silvestri's out, maybe Powell? Thomas Newman? David Arnold would be a pleasant surprise! Will probably just end up Henry Jackman or something.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Shouldn't this thread have a poll with composer options?

We need a poll to know the answer to this question.

Chris Young.  I would be happy if Powell or James Newton Howard got this gig. 

Okay, I'll recycle my old posts from FSM:

JNH or Joel McNeely. The latter is unlikely as he really hasn't done anything this high profile (but I'd be ecstatic if he was chosen). John Debney also seems a possibility. Silvestri (I read somewhere) did not get on with Cameron so doubt it would happen. 

Just please not HZ or any RC composers. They've cornered the big tentpole movie market long enough

How about if Cameron gets four different composers, one to score each sequel. Then we can have JNH, McNeely, Debney and Arnold!

They can even work concurrently, shortening the timelines and hopefully mitigating the risk of nervous breakdowns 

Seriously, one composer committing to all four sequels would be quite taxing, based on Cameron's modus operandi and the timelines for this project. Didn't Horner work on the first one almost exclusively for a whole year?

To summarise:

Worst case: Zimmer or one of his minions

Best case: James Newton-Howard or John Debney

Left field: David Arnold, Don Davis, Joel McNeely, Bruce Broughton 

Possibly: Horner's former collabrators including Simon Franglen, using Avatar as backbone (similar to what Kamen's people did for Back To Gaya).

5 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

If working with Cameron is one of the sticking points here, maybe what we really need to do is find a different director.

I vote for Béla Tarr.

It's bad enough we get a hundred more of these, we don't want them to also be 9 hours long each!

I bet Gordy Haab could incorporate existing themes and write his own original underscore for everything else well enough. The same tack didn't seem to be a problem for Disney and its second marquee franchise.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

It's bad enough we get a hundred more of these, we don't want them to also be 9 hours long each!

He, he...I'd pay good dollar to see an AVATAR movie by ol' Béla. Since the films are all about engrossment, I can picture myself being engrossed in a b/w "AvaTarr" universe forever. Epic battles between icrans and turin horses. :D

"Yeah, yeah BOO GIACCHINO, YOU SUCK!" aside, I'd like to think his WFTPOTA score would be a close approximate of how I imagine he might score an Avatar film. He can pull off the militaristic bombast and the wonder of Pandorica, or whatever the fuck it's called.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

The adventure films is one thing, but the reason I'd pick him is his fantastic gift of creating broad textures that combine electronics and orchestra, often with an ethnic tinge. This is the main "Avatar sound", IMO. I can easily hear shades of tracks like "The Pure Spirits of the Forest" and "The Biolumiscence of the Night" in tracks like, say, "Swimming" from WATERWORLD (my favourite JNH and his magnum opus):

The score to Waterworld is indeed grand, but as a whole I don't find it that impressive. It has its great moments but also a significant share of less interesting music. In my opinion, Signs is a score with an overall higher quality, although not as grand as Waterworld.

Signs I think really shows how interesting his music can be. The layers and instrumentation are sublime.

I'd agree that the worst case is Zimmer or clone. Although if Hanzy gets 15 additional composers to help, they'll be able to churn out revised cues by lunchtime. I mean that in a bad way.

I'd go with JNH, Powell, Davis, HGW or Elfman. But yes, from the composer's perspective, it's a case of who will be willing to put up with Cameron's shit for potentially multiple films. HGW's probably had enough of Ridley's crap by now.