The Rise of Skywalker SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

When Kylo touched Rey's stomach to resurrect her, I bet he put a force baby inside her and that's the next trilogy. 

Rey will raise a force baby with force ghost Ben, and they'll name it Han. Han Skywalker.

And f**k it, let's have Ben lighting the family christmas tree with his force-lightening ghost powers.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

isn’t the conversation with Yoda and then him doing the Force Projection stuff already him acknowledging it had been a mistake within TLJ itself?

Yep, that's the point people mistake for, well... a mistake, not on the part of Luke's actions, but on Rian Johnson and Co. Like, 'Hello! Were you guys watching the film?' Luke acknowledges his past mistakes and chooses to fight. Simple.

It's just another example of the blind hatred for TLJ.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yep, that's the point people mistake for, well... a mistake, not on the part of Luke's actions, but on Rian Johnson and Co. Like, 'Hello! Were you guys watching the film?' Luke acknowledges his past mistakes and chooses to fight. Simple.

It's just another example of the blind hatred for TLJ.

There is no argument in favour of Luke Skywalker considering murdering his own nephew and then running away from his responsibilities while said nephew destroys the galaxy with his new black robed buddies. 

Stop trying to defend that story choice. Disney's credibility in Star Wars is over. Get off the bandwagon asap. The only people left defending it as 'good storytelling' are just blind fans who clap at any corporate slop they are fed.

Nope, not going to subscribe to this outrage culture. Save it for real issues.

The way the film justifies it is simply the very real regret and remorse one faces after going too far. People don't just face their problems right away and within the film's story - Rey admonished Luke for not rejoining the Resistance. 

25 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

There is no argument in favour of Luke Skywalker considering murdering his own nephew and then running away from his responsibilities while said nephew destroys the galaxy with his new black robed buddies. 

Stop trying to defend that story choice. Disney's credibility in Star Wars is over. Get off the bandwagon asap. The only people left defending it as 'good storytelling' are just blind fans who clap at any corporate slop they are fed.

Also, JJ clearly watched Dunkirk and wanted a similar battle climax in this one. It doesn't work.

On one of the few positive notes, this little guy rocks:

latest?cb=20191002161938

Easily my favorite new character from this film

The movie was good, way better than I expected. It is similar to TFA, but better. I liked how they copied the plot points from  ROTJ. It’s a bit shameless, the way they do it, but it works.

I liked that they retconned a lot of the Rian Johnson TLJ nonsense, they should never have tried to “flip the genre on its head” or whatever Rian said... This is back to form, and kind of proves that Disney is a bit of a shamed of dropping the ball on that one.

In the end, I think that they tied the three trilogies together, and ended the “Skywalksr saga” in the best way possible.

Even if George Lucas had written all the scripts by his own (which he didn't), the role of the director is key, and he didn't direct the later two entries. Lucas wasn't even on the set for most of the production of The Empire Strikes Back.

People complain about the lack of an outline for this trilogy or for the lack of one man's vision guiding it through, and they forget that the same could apply to the classic trilogy that they like so much.

38 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

But I thought Leigh Brackett came up with Darth Vader being Luke's father.

Nope. That was George Lucas, writing his first own draft after Brackett's death, on his own. Still, her sensibilities are all over the Han-Leia romance, and of course Lawrence Kasdan made a huge difference to the script later on.

You definitely can't credit the screenplay of The Empire Strikes Back solely or even primarily to George Lucas, which is partially why he only has a "story by" credit.

5 hours ago, Romão said:

I found it to be the worst of the 9 of the Skywalker saga. And easily the most boring

Not sure about the worst but it felt like the biggest letdown to me. It's not even what happens (I didn't like it anyway) but the film itself is hilariously inept at executing almost any of them. There are some bits I liked but they were mostly small things in the first half. The further it went the more disinterested I was. It just felt like a fanfic or... Game of Thrones season 8. ;)

Karol

Excellent but with the familiar - the film concluded nicely, good action scenes and the pacing of the film was excellently crafted.

I even liked C3PO had more dialogue this time. The Music sounded great and  I shall be purchasing this as we had new themes with the

familiar themes which was kinda a nostalgic! 

This WAS a STAR WARS film and back to form also. Overall a film worth watching again, again! Did anyone see our illustrious Composer?

Impressive....most impressive!

To be honest, it was all over the moment they decided to bring Palpatine back in a foolish attempt at 'bookending' the 9 films as one.

It's baffling to me how someone can just cancel out the impact of the Original Trilogy, and remove all meaning to ROTJ, but think they are doing some grand statement of storytelling. No, you're just a lazy hack J.J.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

To be honest, it was all over the moment they decided to bring Palpatine back in a foolish attempt at 'bookending' the 9 films as one.

I chuckled when the title crawl actually announced Palpatine was back. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I chuckled when the title crawl actually announced Palpatine was back. 

Well, after Darth Maul apparently survived being cut in half (per THE CLONE WARS and SOLO), it isn't much of a stretch to suggest that the powerful Emperor survived a fall down a shaft. Perhaps he landed on an antenna like Luke did. :)

I like how he looks like a pale Palpatine at first; his powers not restored to full power, but then when he drains Rey and Ben, he's back to his wrinkly self with piercing, yellow eyes.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, after Darth Maul apparently survived being cut in half (per THE CLONE WARS and SOLO), it isn't much of a stretch to suggest that the powerful Emperor survived a fall down a shaft. Perhaps he landed on an antenna like Luke did. :)

That's true. I think people do understand that this is ridiculous fantasy, so anything can happen within the lore rules they have established. 

But to bring back Maul doesn't remove any power from the storytelling. He was just a tool of Palpatine. He was basically there to be a 'Phantom Menace' that ultimately enabled Obi Wan to have the need to mature quicker and face training Anakin alone without Qui Gon's help. But bringing back Palpatine removes a lot of power from the storytelling, and ultimately changes the entire outlook of the OT.

Of course the entire Disney Trilogy does that just by existing.

Palpatine: "Kylo told you what happened to your... parents (roll eyes), but he never told you what happened to your grandparents!  Rey, I AM YOUR GRANDFATHER!"

Rey: Ok, boomer...

via GIPHY | Celebrity Crushes | Daisy ridley star wars ...