John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Heinz Hall (Pittsburgh, PA) - April 25, 2022

pete

• 2 weeks later...

I got my tickets yesterday.  There were at least 400 people in front of me in line, so I waited from 10:04 to 11:17 before I concluded my purchase.  By then, only seats in the gallery were available in the quantity I wanted, but that's why I keep binoculars in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

PITTSBURGH
'An Evening with Honeck & Mutter & Williams'
June 13, 2020
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS and Manfred ;) , not Mandred Honeck
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin

• 2 months later...

The concert has been postponed due to covid-19 measures... new date is unknown though...

On 2/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, Thor said:

Enough with the Anne-Sophie Mutter already! ;)

14 minutes ago, Andrej said:

The concert has been postponed.

Damn you Thor!

• 4 months later...

The concert has been rescheduled to June 9, 2021, as mentioned here:

LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE!

Manfred Honeck welcomes legendary composer and conductor John Williams to join the orchestra at its one-night-only concert with Anne-Sophie Mutter officially rescheduled for Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 7:30PM. 

Note: Current ticket holders should retain their tickets for use at this rescheduled date.

https://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/production/62701/an-evening-honeck-mutter-williams

• 5 months later...

WILLIAMS POSTPONED AGAIN!  This disclaimer now shows up at the PSO concert calendar:

https://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/production/62701/postponed-an-evening-with-honeck-and-mutter-and-williams

For ticket holders: we are still actively looking to schedule all guest artists to perform with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra at a future date. However, we believe it is best to cancel these concerts until we can announce a new date for the event. Should we reschedule these appearances, those who held tickets to these concerts will be offered a priority presale opportunity to purchase tickets in advance of the general public. At this time, ticketholders will receive a refund. The PSO will reach out to all with new information as it becomes available and appreciates your patience and understanding.

But Pittsburgh is in a state with a scared governor who will only permit a small percentage of indoor seating, something like 15%.  So unless they want to move this to an outside venue where we can toss a beach ball, I'm okay to have my refund. 

Besides, Pittsburgh makes me drunk and then it rains. 

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Andrej said:

The Pittsburg Concert will be on April 25, 2022 at 7:30 as announced by the PSO. Pre-sale for original ticket holders starts Monday, October 25. at 10:00 ET

Original messsge from newsletter

An Evening with Honeck, Mutter & Williams
Monday, April 25, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
Presale starts this Monday! Details below.

Renowned composer and conductor John Williams, superstar violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter and Music Director Manfred Honeck bring a special program of Williams’ music to Heinz Hall for a one-night-only event with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

Under the baton of Manfred Honeck, Anne-Sophie Mutter and the PSO will perform John Williams’ Violin Concerto No. 2, written especially for her. Then, John Williams takes the podium to lead the second half of the program which features selections from some of his most popular film scores. It’s an all-star combination as Ms. Mutter and Mr. Williams share these special arrangements as featured on their acclaimed Across the Stars album.

Previous ticketholders get access* to a week-long presale starting this Monday, October 25 at 10:00 a.m. Get your tickets before they go on sale to the general public on Monday, November 1.

https://pittsburghsymphony.org/production/75684/an-evening-with-honeck-mutter-and-williams

He may end up conducting at least 9 concerts next year, but over the last two decades he conducted:

15 in 2003

19 in 2007

14 in 2008

12 in 2011

12 in 2012

14 in 2013

13 in 2014

15 in 2018

11 in 2021

Just got 2 tickets to this.  This will be my 6th time seeing him in concert and I've never been to Pittsburgh so I will make the drive up there and also catch a Pirates game the following night.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, MrScratch said:

Just got 2 tickets to this.  This will be my 6th time seeing him in concert and I've never been to Pittsburgh so I will make the drive up there and also catch a Pirates game the following night.

:folder:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lazily repeating a post I just did on FSM, but...

Quite an impressive (and fully deserved) raft of events, but this one in particular stood out for me as Manfred Honeck is one of my favourite contemporary conductors and the Pittsburgh Symphony (PSO) is a terrific orchestra. It's almost a shame that JW is conducting half of it as I'd love to hear Honeck conducting some of JW's film music. I wonder if this will get a recording as the PSO has its own label and has done a fair number of extremely well performed, recorded and produced albums.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.  My 14yo son is a huge JW fan, and his birthday/Christmas gift this year is a trip to Pittsburgh to see this performance.  We are flying in from Louisiana (his first time to fly!), and it's a really big deal for us.  Do y'all have any suggestions as to how we could possibly interact with Mr. Williams before or after the performance, maybe to get one of his CDs signed, or a maybe a photo, or just a quick "hello"?  

I'm familiar with Broadway touring shows, and I know the artists for those typically do a "stage door" thing where they come out and sign autographs, but I'm totally new to the symphony world.  Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful! :)

Me neither.  I was stupid not to pursue Carnegie Hall last week.  I was on Long Island and could’ve made it, but I just wasn’t using my brain when tickets were available.  By the time more tickets popped up, I’d already committed to Pittsburgh.  

I had considered it. For a few moments my wife and I almost purchased some pretty expensive seats, but yeah we just couldn’t justify the cost.  

And just like that, those words I just typed will haunt my future. 

The best concert experience I have ever been to. Splurging on the seats was worth the close-up view of John Williams. The more expensive seats were also much more comfortable than the balcony seats I had on earlier concerts. The performances were incredible, and the Violin Concerto no. 2 is an improvement over the first violin concerto. Can't wait to own the Pittsburgh Symphony SACD of this concert.

41 minutes ago, Ian Stouffer said:

The best concert experience I have ever been to. Splurging on the seats was worth the close-up view of John Williams. The more expensive seats were also much more comfortable than the balcony seats I had on earlier concerts. The performances were incredible, and the Violin Concerto no. 2 is an improvement over the first violin concerto. 

So glad to read that the concert went well tonight and that Williams finally made it back to Pittsburgh.

41 minutes ago, Ian Stouffer said:

Can't wait to own the Pittsburgh Symphony SACD of this concert.

I know that Pittsburgh puts out many recordings on SACD, but did I miss an announcement that this concert would be produced and released?

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

Second half with the maestro himself was spectacular as always. He again ended with The Imperial March, which makes me wonder why he didn’t do it in Philly.

Yeah I’m a little bummed that he didn’t at the one concert I’ve been able to attend!  I hope I get the opportunity to see him again.