Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

16 hours ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

But the issue here is that Disney DID announce release of a CD, but DID NOT give any indication: a) it's Disney-exclusive (i.e., don't bother with Amazon) b) it's a very limited release that will be depleted before the release date of August 9!

They do owe it to customers to honor their listing of the CD by making it available to more than a few people (unless they had said, as specialty soundtrack sites do, "Limited Edition of 3,000 copies," or something like that).

I'm a CD collector, I buy everything that's available on physical digital media (CD, Blu-ray, etc) physically, and if it's not very clear that a digital-only release is going to stay digital only, I usually hold out hoping for a CD release (I still don't have the Solo expansion for that reason, for example). I'm also not a fan (to put it mildly) of Disney's business practices.

But I have to point out that *any* physical release, of any medium, is naturally limited. That's why you get things like "first pressings" and "first editions", and why unexpectedly popular books may sell out their first editions quickly and then become unavailable until another edition is printed. Whether or not that happens depends on whether the company making the things in question deems it worthwhile (financially, or if we're lucky artistically) to produce another batch. And how big each batch is also depends entirely on the producer and what their projections for the most likely sales scenarios are.

So for all we know, Disney's initial batch of pressings may have been perfectly reasonably sized, and actual demand turned out higher than expected. If it's high enough, they'll produce more. Or maybe they've got multiple batches in the pipeline anyway, but production resources (which are also naturally limited) don't allow them to press enough copies right away to fulfil all orders. In this case, more stock later on is even more likely.

Bottom line: Everything (physical) is limited, and we don't have to like it. But it always is, regardless of whether it's labelled as a limited edition or not. (Typically, an "officially" limited edition is limited either because of licencing restrictions, or to artificially increase demand by maximising exclusivity - or sometimes it seems it's just a label to make people *think* a product is more exclusive, without specifically limiting anything at all).

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm a CD collector, I buy everything that's available on physical digital media (CD, Blu-ray, etc) physically, and if it's not very clear that a digital-only release is going to stay digital only, I usually hold out hoping for a CD release (I still don't have the Solo expansion for that reason, for example). I'm also not a fan (to put it mildly) of Disney's business practices.

But I have to point out that *any* physical release, of any medium, is naturally limited. That's why you get things like "first pressings" and "first editions", and why unexpectedly popular books may sell out their first editions quickly and then become unavailable until another edition is printed. Whether or not that happens depends on whether the company making the things in question deems it worthwhile (financially, or if we're lucky artistically) to produce another batch. And how big each batch is also depends entirely on the producer and what their projections for the most likely sales scenarios are.

So for all we know, Disney's initial batch of pressings may have been perfectly reasonably sized, and actual demand turned out higher than expected. If it's high enough, they'll produce more. Or maybe they've got multiple batches in the pipeline anyway, but production resources (which are also naturally limited) don't allow them to press enough copies right away to fulfil all orders. In this case, more stock later on is even more likely.

Bottom line: Everything (physical) is limited, and we don't have to like it. But it always is, regardless of whether it's labelled as a limited edition or not. (Typically, an "officially" limited edition is limited either because of licencing restrictions, or to artificially increase demand by maximising exclusivity - or sometimes it seems it's just a label to make people *think* a product is more exclusive, without specifically limiting anything at all).

These are great points!

Thank you for the clarification!

If they did, indeed, press a "normal" number of CDs, and demand was just so high that they quickly sold out, that would put into the question the assertion made on this forum several times that interest in physical CDs of soundtracks is extremely low, etc.--at least in this case.

Apparently, a CD release of (what is likely) John Williams' final complete score--and for a popular series like Indiana Jones, no less, not a low-key drama--is something that will be of interest to music lovers who might not otherwise have an interest in buying a CD...

I do hope Disney restocks on this CD to give everyone a chance to buy one!

8 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Damn those work meetings preventing me from looking at JWFan in time!

I suggest bookmarking the link I posted above for the CD. Check it at least once daily, if possible, in the morning. It is likely to show up again as "in stock" at some point, though it may again be of a significantly limited quantity.

By now, Disney surely sees that there is quite an interest in buying this CD.

29 minutes ago, JWisgreatestlivingcomposer said:

If they did, indeed, press a "normal" number of CDs, and demand was just so high that they quickly sold out, that would put into the question the assertion made on this forum several times that interest in physical CDs of soundtracks is extremely low, etc.--at least in this case.

I'm afraid a "normal" number of CDs for a John Williams film score in this day and age is probably quite low. Especially if it's going to be sold exclusively via Disney's US shop (which I do criticise).

If the expected appetite for an expanded score is a couple of thousand units, then a normal release such as this could've been prepped with a similar number and simply had a few thousand more people wanting it. That's still absolutely nothing compared to the number of people who will stream it with a more casual interest. Go back a few decades and soundtracks were selling hundreds of thousands of copies.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't received a shipping email yet (I ordered it on June 24th)

Yeah, it states "in progress" for the CD on the order form.

It seems it was generally easier to get tickets for Vienna, Berlin and Milan simply because everyone knew they were limited. With this CD, nobody was really expecting such a sharp cut-off.

It sucks to know that even if I do get a chance to buy the CD now, I won't. With no guarantee of it ever coming back in stock, I purchased on Qobuz. I really like the album, and I wanted it on CD, but not enough to justify the cost of buying the same music all over again.

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Still wondering whether this is the official artwork as the same Spanish organization is also selling the below 4 CD set on ebay (again stating that "This is not a CD pressed, this soundtrack was only released for digital download"). And the Disney lady on social media was showing a CD without image (plain ocher-brown).

Again, it's not the official artwork. The real one you can see here: 

That’s funny, her copy of the soundtrack plays a faster version of Raiders March. :lol:

Seriously though, when you think about it, it’s strange that the point of that video is to show off the product… Yet the most important part of the product, the reason you’re buying it to begin with—the music—isn’t even taken from the album.

It's possible that the makers of the video were instructed to use the Raiders March as the audio, didn't realize it was included inside the penultimate OST track, so just grabbed the KOCS version

Ok guys, Disney Music answered me and they says the cd is SOLD OUT.

I am sorry but this is a BUMMER. I can't believe we, John Williams and Film Music fans, have to go through this labyrinth to get the latest film score of this important saga and the most respectful film composer alive (and probably his latest score).

I am really done with Film Music, this is awful and shows disrepectful for the customer. Can't stand this anymore.

12 minutes ago, Juanki said:

I am sorry but this is a BUMMER. I can't believe we, John Williams and Film Music fans, have to go through this labyrinth to get the latest film score of this important saga and the most respectful film composer alive (and probably his latest score).

I am really done with Film Music, this is awful and shows disrepectful for the customer. Can't stand this anymore.

But Mission Impossible fans still get 2-CD sets with hours of noisy "music" by LB... Those are still in stock at LLL...

Even Barnes & Noble sells THAT stuff:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-pt-1-lorne-balfe/40225030?ean=0826924162729

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Guys, it's on Spotify.

Come on, we are people who buy Saving Private Ryan from LA LA LAND RECORDS because features 2 new tracks.

But even with that... this is INDIANA JONES. This is what film music is about!

Here is hoping they make a reissue.

10 minutes ago, Juanki said:

Come on, we are people who buy Saving Private Ryan from LA LA LAND RECORDS because features 2 new tracks.

But even with that... this is INDIANA JONES. This is what film music is about!

Here is hoping they make a reissue.

To be fair, though, this album doesn’t feature any new tracks.

But yeah, this is still ridiculous. There was absolutely no indication that this would be a limited run. If there was, I would have bought it (maybe even a couple copies, to sell one if it becomes a collector’s item!). This is a pretty shameful way to treat what could very well be JW’s final score.

23 minutes ago, Juanki said:

WHaaaat?

I own all the OSTs of John Williams (well, almost all of them), and I want this one.

Why, as a fan of JW and as a respected (well, it depends on the day!) member of JWFAN, do I have to go through this?

I don't understand the world I live in. :(

31 minutes ago, Juanki said:

Two thoughts on this…

First, I wouldn't *completely* rule out some miscommunication there. Wouldn't be the first time that an intern misunderstands a question, then miscommunicates it to his higher ups, gets a wrong answer and then incorrectly repeats that to the customer. If it is just a temporary lack of stock between production runs and that reply is wrong, I wouldn't be particularly surprised. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for more, though.

But assuming that this is really it, I wonder how many copies they produced? I can't imagine the Emporium having a huge number of customers among the general public who order soundtrack CDs in their online shop. And those like us who collect soundtracks (and maybe even live outside the US) probably order from Intrada, LLL, & Co more frequently - and we all know the low numbers of their limited releases, and how long they often take to sell out. Bottom line, I can't really imagine this having sold more than several hundred copies so far?

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe this was intentional because Disney will release in the coming months The Complete INDIANA JONES Saga, a 15-CD box featuring every single second of music ever recorded by John Williams for the 5 movies plus the complete scores for Young Indy and the videogames, all curated by Matessino himself. 

And the shawm cue.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

First, I wouldn't *completely* rule out some miscommunication there. Wouldn't be the first time that an intern misunderstands a question

He probably thinks the conversation is about John Williams the guitarist.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe this was intentional because Disney will release in the coming months The Complete INDIANA JONES Saga, a 15-CD box featuring every single second of music ever recorded by John Williams for the 5 movies plus the complete scores for Young Indy and the videogames, all curated by Matessino himself. 

One can dream, right?

what, it's missing the extra concert pieces or concert piece revisions made later? :(

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Were these CD only orders?

Yes, I only ordered 1 copy of the CD.  I have no reason to ever buy any vinyl record.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

Thanks for finding that tweet!  It is good to finally have a definitive answer on this.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

But the his latest film score has been available on every platform the majority of humans on earth use to listen to music in 2023 since before the film came out.  It is only the edition sold on plastic discs that is limited.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

I am really done with Film Music

I don't believe you.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

, this is awful and shows disrepectful for the customer.

It's frankly surprising they even issued this on the CD format at all.  A limited edition on CD is better than no CD edition at all!

The biggest mistake was not making it clear that it was only sold through their site AND a limited edition.  I assumed that to be the case, but clearly many people here and elsewhere thought it'd be available at other stores in August.

I can't believe this is sold out!!!

:angryfire:

The last probably ost of Williams, and was a limited run?

Well, I have a good reason then to hate Disney (besides other matters).

See now the scalpers how much will they be selling their cds at ebay!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The biggest mistake was not making it clear that it was only sold through their site AND a limited edition.  I assumed that to be the case, but clearly many people here and elsewhere thought it'd be available on other stores in August.

This is the annoyance!