SPOILER TALK: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Jay

5 hours ago, Tom said:

It is not all that true to life.  I know many, many people who have lost children to war, sickness, accidents.  In all cases, it either drew them closer together or made no substantial impact on their relationship.  It feels like cheap writing to me (more so the second time after TFA). 

Actually, it is true to life.  Divorces are quite common when a child dies.  

9 hours ago, Demodex said:

Actually, it is true to life.  Divorces are quite common when a child dies.  

adult children?  I would need to see some stats on that.  

I finally watched the film.

I was really enjoying it… until the end. The film just kind of wraps up very quickly.

I have a feeling they planned for Indy to stay in the past and sort of become part of history himself, then the Mouse freaked out and reshot it (the background looked very fake in some of those Syracuse scenes).

22 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but Mads Mikkelsen was deaged for thr prologue too right? 

I think this question got lost in the page change 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

He was, but I read somewhere they used a different technique for his de-aging than they used for Ford. I assume it was because it wasn't as extreme and the didn't own as much unused footage as they did of young Ford

Well said, @Romão.  I especially agree with your central thesis that they came up with some story ideas that fit surprisingly well into the franchise … but the execution falls kinda flat.

There wasn't anything in the film that made me roll my eyes like nuking the fridge or "I thought we were friends" or Mutt's Tarzan moment. But I actually left KOTCS with a smile on my face. This time I left the theater feeling like the whole thing had been kind of a dour, anticlimactic non-event, set to previous Indy scores. It certainly didn't feel like the finale of the franchise.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah, I noticed it too. Thought to myself 'Hmm, there's a little more than a hair-dye job going on there'.  

On 02/07/2023 at 11:44 AM, paleo said:

I seem to recall a scene in a trailer in which Indy uses his whip to dislodge a giant boulder in Archimedes' tomb, but if this appeared in the actual movie, I must have missed it. Can anybody tell me if it is in there?

Deleted scenes. Cut for pacing.

Confirmed by Mangold that there used to be one additional room of puzzle-solving before reaching the Tomb.

1 hour ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Deleted scenes. Cut for pacing.

Confirmed by Mangold that there used to be one additional room of puzzle-solving before reaching the Tomb.

Thanks for the info. Great, the one thing I'd really have loved to see. There's hardly any puzzle-solving involved throughout the movie now. Couldn't he have cut Helena's ex-lover or five minutes of the tuk tuk chase instead? ;-)

Hm, would like to find out more about this. Can you perhaps provide a link to the news post (or whatever it was)?

Am i the only one thinking that giving helena a nickname “wombat” after an animal…could mean that there could be a film or series in the works about “The Adventures of Wombat Shaw”. And that is why they say she is not the next indiana jones, than only ford can be indiana jones… and she is just her own thing?

though the name is horrible.

thinking of it they may have thought the same about Mutt (dog name) 

“The Adventures of Mutt Jones/Williams…”?

19 hours ago, Romão said:

one thing that really bothered me is that the last lesson Indiana Jones ever gave was about the Battle of Syracuse and Archimedes’ involvement in it. I mean, how convenient can you get? In all previous movies, the subject of his classes was always unrelated to the story’s main quest.

X, rarely marks the spot.

How is the general resonance of this movie on this forum?

I think that movie was nothing. There is simply nothing positive I can say about it: the mess of story that was leading nowhere, Ford's lukewarm performance, the naive and unfunny script, the generic and chopped-up score, the embarassing references to the older films. It was as much fun as riding a dead horse.

At the end, Indy gets punched in the face for preferring to stay in the past, and then gets dragged back to the present ... well, that punch in the face might be a metaphor for this pathetic movie.

3 hours ago, paleo said:

Thanks for the info. Great, the one thing I'd really have loved to see. There's hardly any puzzle-solving involved throughout the movie now. Couldn't he have cut Helena's ex-lover or five minutes of the tuk tuk chase instead? ;-)

Hm, would like to find out more about this. Can you perhaps provide a link to the news post (or whatever it was)?

There was a video interview someone posted on Facebook.

I didn't save a link.

Ford's lukewarm performance. Thats german humor for you.  I enjoyed the film but then I love nostalgia. Ford's performance was the heart of the film. My biggest problem was Helena who I disliked until Indy answers here question which changed her. 

I was happy. Yes its not a SS film but it was better shot than a kaminski (I'm afraid of color) film. What John did at his age was amazing. I love that man. He is astounding.

Hollywood reporter ranking all five films

5. Crystal Skull

4. Dial of Destiny

3. Temple Of Doom

2. Last Crusade

1. Raiders

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/indiana-jones-movies-ranked-dial-of-destiny-1235528041/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

38 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

5. Crystal Skull

4. Dial of Destiny

3. Temple Of Doom

2. Last Crusade

1. Raiders

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/indiana-jones-movies-ranked-dial-of-destiny-1235528041/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Switch Tod and LC.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Switch Raiders and the Last Crusade...

Blasphemy. 

I actually never really "clicked" with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Temple of Doom I don't enjoy at all.

The less said about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the better.

But I love The Last Crusade.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

5. Crystal Skull

4. Dial of Destiny

3. Temple Of Doom

2. Last Crusade

1. Raiders

I don't agree with any of those lol

14 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

What would be yours

5. Dial of Destiny

4. Crystal Skull

3. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

1. Temple of Doom

And I did like Dial of Destiny!

8 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

In my case, ROTLA, TLC, and DOD compete for 1st, and TOD and KOTCS compete for 4th.

One thing I love about KOTCS is that people do decide to put it in their top 3, even (usually) at the expense of ToD. It's good to see it has its fans!

I love KOTCS at the end of the day.  Its just a fun lighthearted adventure.

And the first half is arguably GREAT!

So far here I'm seeing the overall census of, if you're okay with an old Indy taking a backseat you let some of the bad stuff slide but if you aren't, you may be more critical.

I think both sides are ultimately right.  But also both sides knew this movie was never going to be great, unfortunately.

I have to say I've enjoyed the film a lot more the second time. Once you know where it's going, the journey towards it makes bit more more sense, at least thematically. It's not a great climax but still better than Crystal Skull in a sense that there is some emotional weight to it as far as Indy is involved (not so much in terms of plot). Didn't feel as long as well, oddly. It's not a terrific movie but certainly doesn't deserve all the battering.

Karol

12 hours ago, Bellosh said:

So far here I'm seeing the overall census of, if you're okay with an old Indy taking a backseat you let some of the bad stuff slide but if you aren't, you may be more critical.

I think both sides are ultimately right.  But also both sides knew this movie was never going to be great, unfortunately.

The opening action with the de-aged Ford and Toby Jones on great form, the sight of Indy on a horse in the underground station/on the tracks, the mid-point tuk-tuk chase (easily up there with the series' best action sequences, for me) and the lovely ending all make it a worthwhile ride, IMO.   

Waller-Bridge is fine ... sure, not all of her schtick 'lands' or whatever but not to the extent that the movie's ruined. I mean, there were/are those that find Willie's constant bitching and screaming in TOD extremely annoying. 

And hell, the man still punches Nazis convincingly as far as I could see. 

34 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen DOD, yet, but colour me happy if every social trace of Waller-Bridge was completely eradicated.

Why? She's really good in this. Is this because she's being playing herself essentially? Not a fan? I loved Fleabag. She was annoying as hell at but first until I realised that was exactly the point. Ended up being quite brilliant series.

Karol

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Definitely not. She fucked up James Bond, and, from what I hear, she's fucked up Indiana Jones.

Fleabag is millennial, thirtysomething, hand-wringing angst. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Ah I see. I am a millennial so it is sonewhat relatable.

And I really liked No Time to Die. It's bit of a mess but so much fun. Plus I don't think she wrote that much of it. If anything, it would be the Cuba sequence.

Karol

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Definitely not. She fucked up James Bond, and, from what I hear, she's fucked up Indiana Jones.

Fleabag is millennial, thirtysomething, hand-wringing angst. Not for me, I'm afraid.

There's a lot to unpack here.

One, you do realise she didn't write the script for Dial of Destiny, right?

Two, have you even watched Fleabag?

Three, what specifically did PWB contribute, that none of the other 6 writers on NTTD did, that "fucked up James Bond"?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't know about Bond, but I definitely wouldn't describe her that way in Indy. She gives a solid performance as Helena. My problems with the film mostly have to do with the writing and tone—the overall storytelling, not the acting.

In fact, my biggest issue in terms of performance or casting is Mads Mikkelsen. I think he did a very nice job with the role, but I always have a hard time understanding him, unfortunately.