Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

So, according to those who saw the movie and are familiar with the OST, the only track covering the 20-minute prologue (which has many lifts from previous Indy scores, but still) is Germany, 1944. Then, the first act in New York is not covered at all.

That means that maybe reels 1 and 2 are underrepresented in the OST album? Sigh... This reminds me of The Last Jedi OST, which omitted everything from reel 6, including the awesome Rey's Journey cue.

When Helena meets Indy in New York, we hear her theme for the first time in the movie. I initially thought that was unreleased but it is actually the same music that begins the Polybius Cipher track on the album. So it is either tracked from that scene or vice versa.

1 hour ago, DangerMotif said:

Did anyone else pick up on the boulder motif from Raiders when they get knocked off the train?

Not me...

I never knew the boulder HAD a motif.

Spoiler

03. Germany, 1944.flac
04. To Morocco.flac
05. Voller Returns.flac
06. Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique.flac
07. Tuk Tuk in Tangiers.flac
08. To Athens.flac
09. Perils of the Deep.flac
10. Water Ballet.flac
11. Polybius Cipher.flac
12. The Grafikos.flac
13. Archimedes' Tomb.flac
14. The Airport.flac
15. Battle of Syracuse.flac
16. Centuries Join Hands.flac
17. New York, 1969.flac

01. Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.flac (end credits part 2)

02. Helena's Theme.flac
18. Helena's Theme (For Violin and Orchestra).flac

Chronological order is something like this ? 

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

(there's a lot of unreleased music when they're flying the airplane into the time crack and afterwards). 

The music right before they enter the fissure sounded like it was tracked from KOTCS's The Spell of the Skull. It worked well up until the music cut out abruptly when the plane emerges on the other side. That was a tad jarring. 

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Escape from the City from War of the World's must've been a big temp track, it was so blatant. 

I noticed that too. There were also some rumblings from The Intersection Scene in that portion of the film. 

13 minutes ago, Vince said:

The music right before they enter the fissure sounded like it was tracked from KOTCS's The Spell of the Skull. It worked well up until the music cut out abruptly when the plane emerges on the other side. That was a tad jarring. 

Yes, that moment stood out to me also. I think Mangold was going for a dramatic effect by suddenly cutting the music but I don't think it worked very well.

Mangold has made some great movies but I didn't notice anything particularly special about the direction in DoD. It just felt very perfunctory. 

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Alright I just came back from seeing the film on opening night. 

All the people "who didn't notice major omissions from the OST" are inhaling the copium. The score has a truckload of unreleased music, entire action sequences that aren't on the OST, and some of the more mysterious underscore like the end of the Archimedes Tomb scene when they assemble the Dial, and several good renditions of Helena's Theme and the Raider's March. Most of the short action cues we got on the OST are parts of bigger set pieces with lots of unreleased music and that includes The Airport and Battle of Syracuse (there's a lot of unreleased music when they're flying the airplane into the time crack and afterwards).  And they released the worst part of Germany 1944 on the OST, there's fantastic music in that sequence that takes place on a train and that's all original. It's hard to fully appreciate this unreleased music because the mix isn't very good and a lot of it is drowned out by sound effects.

Yeah there's a few "lifts" from previous scores but only a few seconds here and there and the worst offender is the Last Crusade music we got on the OST.

This might be a worst case scenario if we don't get an expanded edition soon or isolated score. For most of the other Williams grails like the SW Prequels, Indy 4, TFA and Last Jedi, we have most of the unreleased music trough videogame files, bootlegs, recording sessions, isolated score...ect. Even TROS had a generous amount of unreleased music on the FYC. 

How would you compare this OST with the OSTs for TROS and KOTCS in terms of having a fair representation of the score and omitting holy grails?

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

Escape from the City from War of the World's must've been a big temp track, it was so blatant. 

Funny that The Intersection Scene would end up featuring in both Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny.

There's at least 4 WOTW cues scattered around the temp track. Attack on the Car when Helena and Teddy are racing on motorbike to catch Voller in Sicily, and fragments of The Ferry Scene after the time fissure.

10 hours ago, Brando said:

The Temple of Doom music in the opening act when Indy is being hung in the castle was a lovely surprise. 

Then a brief reprise of Map/Out Of Fuel when Indy and Helena jump out of the plane. Wonder if that was intentional.

55 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Is any of the reprised music tracked from the earlier films? Or all they all fresh new recordings?

Short answer: we don't know, but some of it sounds verrrrrrry close. Some of the KOCS material might be tracked (the time fissure cue is ripped bleeding from Spell of the Skull).

Catching up on this thread is tough.  I noticed a lot of 1941 style "build-ups" that sounded just like this one before the Wild Bill theme kicks in.

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

The end suite - I wish we had all the pieces. I know it’s basically the back half of NYC + Helena’s Theme + Prologue but I still felt something was else was in there. Could be wrong. I am ok with the way it ends sentimentally and softly. 

There was some other villian stuff that isn’t on the prologue 

3 hours ago, lairdo said:

The end suite - I wish we had all the pieces. I know it’s basically the back half of NYC + Helena’s Theme + Prologue but I still felt something was else was in there. Could be wrong. I am ok with the way it ends sentimentally and softly. 

I really dislike how the end credits music is split up on the OST. Even reordering them back into place, I find the suite lacking compared to TLC or recent JW end credit highlights like TFA. And we don't hear any interesting permutations of Indy's theme like we got in KOTCS.

Seeing the film in Atmos in a couple minutes! I hope the thematic ideas are clear to me after seeing it, seems like there's still some confusion about them 

On 29/06/2023 at 9:15 PM, crocodile said:

Yes, that is right. I can't be sure what Voller Returns is exactly but otherwise, yeah, pretty much what you say. 

Karol

Spoiler

Voller returns appears before the New York chase during the service talking

There's another appearence of WotW right after the use of The Spyders when the villains emerged on the roof

yeah I saw it in IMAX and I think the center channel with the sound effects was too loud drowning the score.I'll see it in a different theater

Same thing happened with TROS

The score was often buried under tons of sound effects in the film. There were for me only a couple of standout moments where the music is truly allowed to shine in all 2½ hours of the film. They sure don't make them like in the past anymore.

I was surprised at the amount of reprised Indiana Jones material almost verbatim from the previous scores as well as near quotes from War of the Worlds, Minority Report (during the New York chase) and Tintin. I don't think I have ever heard this level of self references (outside franchise spanning themes) from Williams before. I wonder why Williams decided to sprinkle seemingly unrelated Indy music quotes throughout, not themes but rather direct lifts from the underscore?

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I wonder why Williams decided to sprinkle seemingly unrelated Indy music quotes throughout, not themes but rather direct lifts from the underscore?

Many directors have an unfortunate tendency to fall in love with their temp score, and may have asked JW to imitate it as closely as possible, or even had it tracked (we're not sure yet what was tracked vs. re-recorded note-for-note).

On 30/06/2023 at 7:14 PM, Andy said:

Catching up on this thread is tough.  I noticed a lot of 1941 style "build-ups" that sounded just like this one before the Wild Bill theme kicks in.

Besides that bit, I think I heard a direct quote from 1941 somewhere, probably in the prologue

Yes, I think I heard some of the actual "Christopher Lee" motif from this very track of 1941 in the prologue today (2nd viewing). So interesting!

38 minutes ago, Andy said:

Yes, I think I heard some of the actual "Christopher Lee" motif from this very track of 1941 in the prologue today (2nd viewing). So interesting!

You're right, I found 0:18-1:07 of Sub Commander/Wild BIll Kelso in my phone recording.

20 hours ago, backfromthedead said:

Saw it last night in the theaters and am listening to the soundtrack on youtube right now. Both are outstanding, much surpassing my expectations. 

Amazing they can make a high quality action adventure starring an 80 year old man. And much of that credit goes to the 91 year old composer!

Cheers to the whole crew: Harrison, Maestro, George, Steven, Mangold, Kennedy, Phoebe WB, Mads, and the others that brought this to life.  Thank you for this last adventure!!! Fantastic!

I just got out of seeing it the third time. Nailed it right on the head. Shared sentiments all around. Heck, I’ll be seeing it a few more times (the wait for the 4K Blu-ray release will be quite a bit, possibly until mid-November or December); not only is it a great finale to the Indiana Jones Saga, but I intend to memorize as much of the Maestro’s score as possible. All of it was prominent and clearly heard in the sound mix. Some theaters don’t have the proper set-up for the sound mix, which is unfortunate. Fortunately, mine did.

Well, I was wondering how Williams scored the discovery of the Spear of Longinus, and it happens to be music for the false grail from Last Crusade. Quite appropriate, I think :-)

I'm going to get taken out back and beaten for this, but I have to be honest with myself, unfortunately: this was not John Williams at his finest (or even his mediocre). I'm thankful for any new JW music as I worship the man, the talent and the impact he has had. But this soundtrack hits me hard with a combination of filler and reuse.

And, I have no problems with reusing old themes, especially major character themes like Indy's theme (obviously), Marion's theme etc... I don't even mind callbacks to major action cues like Belly of the Steel Beast. What I do have issues with is essentially nothing new thematically, or, at the very least, nothing new that is memorable.

Yes, Helena's theme is a major new theme, but I don't find it either memorable or particularly well utilized in the movie (it certainly doesn't compare, in my mind, to other JW heroine themes like Leia's theme, Marion's theme, Rey's theme etc). Indiana Jones films have foundational, common components: a cold open set piece, a McGuffin, a female co-adventurer, a creepy critter interlude, a cave/tomb raid, a travel map mechanic, an epic chase sequence, etc -- and it has always had some pretty significant new music to accompany those: a new march, an identifiable McGuffin theme, a re-occurring villain motif, a bombastic action cue, etc.

That stuff is just not there in this movie. It may be hinted at at times, but like the traditional title template's dissolve from the paramount logo into the film's matching opening shot, the Indiana Jones musical template has been left in the past. I miss it.

19 minutes ago, willieround83 said:

That stuff is just not there in this movie. It may be hinted at at times, but like the traditional title template's dissolve from the paramount logo into the film's matching opening shot, the Indiana Jones musical template has been left in the past. I miss it.

Ah, I don't think it's quite that dire. True, it's probably not comparable to what Williams did in the 80s-90s (KotCS wasn't either imo, by the way), but I still consider it satisfactory as an Indy score overall. Certainly better than 95 % of other current scores for similar movies.

12 minutes ago, willieround83 said:

I'm going to get taken out back and beaten for this, but I have to be honest with myself, unfortunately: this was not John Williams at his finest (or even his mediocre). I'm thankful for any new JW music as I worship the man, the talent and the impact he has had. But this soundtrack hits me hard with a combination of filler and reuse.

What tracks do you consider filler?