Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

On 14/07/2023 at 7:29 AM, Edmilson said:

60 to 70% of which we won't hear for at least a few decades.

60 to 70% of which we've already been hearing for at least a few decades. ;)

Sorry. Just not fond of the COS/Home Alone 2/DOD approach that relies so heavily on existing material. TLJ has some of that too. At JW's age, he's earned the chance to take this approach now, but I can't enjoy it the way I enjoy a score that makes minimal use of stuff he's already written.

I haven't read the entire thread, and can't at the moment (Posting quickly at work), so please forgive me if this was already asked.

Did anyone else hear shades of "The Duel" from Adventures of Tintin at a couple of places in the movie?

13 minutes ago, geom_00 said:

I haven't read the entire thread, and can't at the moment (Posting quickly at work), so please forgive me if this was already asked.

Did anyone else hear shades of "The Duel" from Adventures of Tintin at a couple of places in the movie?

Oh yes :-) It was mentioned many times here.

26 minutes ago, paleo said:

Oh yes :-) It was mentioned many times here.

Thank you.  Glad I am not the only one to picked up on that!

Sorry for being able to read the entire thread before posting.

15 hours ago, CompleteRecordingSessions said:

- The 'Lost World-esque' timpani writing that scores the diving scene sounded amazing in the theater

YES!!! That wonderful dry timpani is so lacking in other scores in favor of mushy percussion or take drums.   I just loved hearing this, although I associated it with more Original Star Wars era timpani than even Lost World. 

5 hours ago, Andy said:

YES!!! That wonderful dry timpani is so lacking in other scores in favor of mushy percussion or take drums.   I just loved hearing this, although I associated it with more Original Star Wars era timpani than even Lost World. 

This should be a shoe-in for the FYC.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Revenge of the Sith.

On 21/07/2023 at 11:38 AM, Signals said:

Revenge of the Sith.

ROTS timpani is awful IMO. All the raw power of it is completely neutralised by the dry and distant mixing. I'm not inherently opposed to a drier mix for percussion - I think it sounds great in DoD - but ROTS was unforgivable for me.

Didn't read back all posts so don't know if this has been discussed before, here is my question: As the nazi action scene in the  beginning takes place in france, why is it called "Germany 1944" on the soundtrack? Just a mistake?

There is no on-screen chyron that says its Germany.  It's only the original soundtrack album that says its Germany.

The film having no on-screen chyron indicating the place and time of the opening scene breaks tradition with the previous 4 films.

Were germany occupied territories part of germany? 

i mean, if you see a map of the roman empire, all conquered territories are part of the roman empire. Did it work the same in the wwii? 

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Were germany occupied territories part of germany? 

i mean, if you see a map of the roman empire, all conquered territories are part of the roman empire. Did it work the same in the wwii? 

Probably Mangold's only excuse if he even knows about this.

It'd be more safe to call it Occupied France back then versus Germany if anything. But that would be a lame track title lol

But when the D-Day landings happen in Normandy, I'm sure even the most casual person who has just a little bit of knowledge of WWII wouldn't view that as invading 'Germany' so much as fighting Germany.

This just feels a bit sloppy on Mangold's part if it isn't a simple mistake by JW (ain't gonna blame him)

Mangold replies to tweets. The dude can look at cue titles.

Maybe Mangold thinks it Germany? I have no idea lol

I did read a theory that it should have been Germany, 1945…as that's when Germany the country begins to fall in the war.  So you could actually believe it was a castle in Berlin or something. But why are they hightailing it towards an allied country?  Also aren't the French Alps pretty far from Germany?

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Then again they also refer to Austria in 1938 in Last Crusade, and unless that took part before the middle of March, Austria voluntarily didn't exist at the time.

I believe in the movie Kazim says Austrian-German border? If that helps or not I personally don't know 

Well there ya go then!

31 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Austria voluntarily became a part of Germany in March 1938. From then until the end of WW2 in 1945, there was no Austria, ergo no Austrian-German border.

also sorry, i didn't even see until now you're in (from?) Austria!  

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Austria voluntarily became a part of Germany in March 1938. From then until the end of WW2 in 1945, there was no Austria, ergo no Austrian-German border.

But would ‘austria’ be still its own region within germany? So there would be a border …

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I have a good reason why I've been unable to do so (or even START on it yet), but that reason might be over now, and I might be able to start this weekend!

I only discovered today that the first chunk of OST The Airport actually covers the scene where Indy is kidnapped and Helena steals the bike, followed by a big chunk of unreleased (WOTW-esque) music en route to the airport, which is trimmed from the album track.

I'd love to know whether Water Ballet is tracked into the time fissure scene, too (or if JW just lifted that segment from the other cute and recorded it twice). Intriguing that it's preceded by more lifted music (the end of Spell of the Skull from Crystal Skull).

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But would ‘austria’ be still its own region within germany? So there would be a border …

No. The name "Österreich" was not used while it was part of Nazi Germany, it was known as "Ostmark" instead. So if anything it would have been the Ostmark-Bavarian border I suppose.

The idea was (and still is in… certain circles) that Austria was never supposed to be its own country and is forever a region of Germany, therefore the name its known as as a country is invalid.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No. The name "Österreich" was not used while it was part of Nazi Germany, it was known as "Ostmark" instead. So if anything it would have been the Ostmark-Bavarian border I suppose.

Even if so, if the movie's set in summer 1938, is that something a Turkish Hatayian secret group leader would have adopted in a few months and used when informing an American?

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Even if so, if the movie's set in summer 1938, is that something a Turkish Hatayian secret group leader would have adopted in a few months and used when informing an American?

Possibly/probably/hopefully not. But at least the cue title Journey to Austria is wrong. ;)

In that regard, I've also always wondered if the little Austrian flag on the motorboat in Venice is plausible. Time-wise, it could just be a remnant from before March 1938, but I suppose if correct it would have to be a naval flag/jack (I'm not sufficiently nautically educated to be clear on the exact difference) - and it doesn't like like there ever was one of those without the eagle.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In that regard, I've also always wondered if the little Austrian flag on the motorboat in Venice is plausible. Time-wise, it could just be a remnant from before March 1938, but I suppose if correct it would have to be a naval flag/jack (I'm not sufficiently nautically educated to be clear on the exact difference) - and it doesn't like like there ever was one of those without the eagle.

whoa never noticed that!

but i did just youtube the scene to catch it and noticed the 2 other motorboats that follow in pursuit have black lines where the red ones are on the one you're referencing.  So either those are supposed to be red or the red one being the Austrian flag is just pure coincidence?

I googled nautical flags and the J -Juliet pattern/code is the one that resembles the ones on the boat.  and funny enough, it's code for "on fire and have dangerous cargo, keep clear". :lol:Maybe it's just Spielberg having some fun?  I honestly don't know.

image.png

it's a bit of a fantasy late thirties the way one would imagine it: that blimp route didn't exist, and all blimp routes may have ceased to operate by this point, perhaps by little, i don't remember the dates now. the dates of things in the movie may well be all jumbled up, preventing concrete identification.

i mean raiders has german military units in Egypt.

Right, the blimp chronology was the other thing we wondered about when I recently watched it again with friends. (It's not that I'm complaining anyway, I love the film)

By the way, the new Mission: Impossible film has a lengthy sequence on the Orient Express in Innsbruck. I tried to read up on that; apparently, there currently is no train route officially called Orient Express at all. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

By the way, the new Mission: Impossible film has a lengthy sequence on the Orient Express in Innsbruck. I tried to read up on that; apparently, there currently is no train route officially called Orient Express at all. ;) 

…or apparently there is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice-Simplon_Orient_Express

The Venice-Simplon Orient Express seems to match the route and the design in the film. In my defense, the history is pretty confusing when you start with the Wikipedia article for the actual Orient Express, and it also says this:

These VSOE services are not to be confused with a regularly scheduled train called the Orient Express, which ran nightly between Paris and Bucharest – in the last years of operation cut back to between Strasbourg and Vienna – until 11 December 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, iamleyeti said:

Seen the movie last Friday. A decent Indiana Jones movie but I was excepting a bit more from Mangold (every action sequence is shot in a weird close-up way, why?) and the script which is extremely long and goes nowhere for 2 solid hours. Bad guys were useless, allies are sacrificed too early… it's curiously messy until… until Sicily and then I was in heaven. The last bit, the siege, Archimedes… this sequence is truly amazing, giving incredible vibes, offering something a bit different than the usual "dark and tortured" last act towards something light and sunny.

The music is really stunning when you can hear it. The themes are introduced and slowly evolve, revealing their full colors at the right moment, when you can hear them. Williams has proven, again and again, that he is a master storyteller and, when you can hear it, the music carries so much of emotional and thematic meaning. When you can hear the orchestra, it lush and special. What a treat for those who found a way to listen to the music over what is the most boring and dull sound mixing of the XXIst century.

good post. agreed 100% 

even the back half of KOTCS, as sloppy as it is, is still paced well and concise.

thank god Mangold nailed the macguffin ending

I saw the movie for a second time and have to say that I enjoyed it a lot more the second time. I’m still not crazy about the old depressed Indy thing they have going on but overall the movie is very fun and well made!

The score is even better after having listened to the OST a lot (I saw the movie first time without having heard the ost) so I started really noticing themes and unreleased music in the film. Helena’s theme is so good and I think my favorite cue in the film is To Morocco, with the pensive Indy variation and then the cut to Helena on the plane. The tintin sounding cue at the auction is another highlight as well as the whole Morocco action music.

Let’s hope that there’s a good FYC later this year because there’s a lot of music missing!