Helena's Theme (for Violin and Orchestra) performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter released as a single

sulix

Oh wow! With a totally alternate cover too! It uses the OST cover on the Disney Music Licensing website though...

image.png

Maybe this will be a digital single and won't be included on the OST? That allows an extra 5 minutes for film cues.

Alternate theory: this new cover is for a Deluxe/digital expanded version of the score, hence being different to the OST :)

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't understood, the violin version of Helena's theme will be in the ost?

I think we're all guessing until a track list is announced. I think it's more likely now.

Also on 7Digital... My bet is that it'll either appear twice, the original and the ASM version, or there will be a special edition that includes it as a bonus (but that's the only bonus).

https://uk.7digital.com/artist/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter/release/helenas-theme-for-violin-and-orchestra-from-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destinyscore-30771677

For me at the moment it is not even clear, if there is going to be a CD release of the OST. Williams last CD soundtrack release, The Fabelmann's, was announced and even available in catalogues for ordering weeks before release. For DoD I heard nothing so far.

Or was there any official communication about an album on CD?

53 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For me at the moment it is not even clear, if there is going to be a CD release of the OST. Williams last CD soundtrack release, The Fabelmann's, was announced and even available in catalogues for ordering weeks before release. For DoD I heard nothing so far.

Or was there any official communication about an album on CD?

On 15/06/2023 at 12:14 AM, Toillion said:

The album can be preordered on vinyl for the steep price of $46 + shipping. 

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVLP226/john-williams-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-2lp-set

On 15/06/2023 at 12:16 AM, DangerMotif said:

On 15/06/2023 at 12:23 AM, crumbs said:

OST cover:

XVCD60.jpg

Vinyl cover:

XVLP226.jpg

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m about over all this ASM business.

I hear you.

If Williams hadn't written all those ASM arrangements, he could have written another whole film score in their place.

Oh, well...

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I hear you.

If Williams hadn't written all those ASM arrangements, he could have written another whole film score in their place.

Oh, well...

My personal interest isn’t so much in the composer’s productivity.  I’m just bored of stuff focusing on one soloist with one instrument and all of the quirks and flourishes it calls for.  It’s a me thing - I’m happy that at like a thousand years old, Williams is finding inspiration in anything to write new music and rearrange old music, but I’m ready to listen to something different.

OK.  I don't know if it is the performance or the recording, but I prefer the version they performed at Carnegie Hall 4 days after this version was recorded, by a lot

Oh thanks, that reminded me to check the youtube description:

Producer: John Williams
Producer: Bernhard Güttler
Studio  Personnel, Recording  Engineer, Mixer: Shawn Murphy
Studio  Personnel, Editor: Ramiro Belgardt
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Fred Vogler
Studio  Personnel, Editor: Robert Wolff
Studio  Personnel, Editor: David Channing
Studio  Personnel, Mastering  Engineer: Patricia Sullivan
Composer: John Williams

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The main theme in the original version is hard enough to detect.  The ASM version dilutes it to the point of being just about an atmospheric piece.  

A solo instrument is playing the main theme - how can you miss it?!

Though sacrilegious thought incoming: The theme in the film proper didn't do much for me. I thought by contrast Irina's theme in KOTCS in the film proper was hugely impactful and of terrific value.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Though sacrilegious thought incoming: The theme in the film proper didn't do much for me. I thought by contrast Irina's theme in KOTCS in the film proper was hugely impactful and of terrific value.

I felt the same way with Rey's Theme in TFA until it "clicked" with me and suddenly I realised it was all over the score.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The main theme in the original version is hard enough to detect.  The ASM version dilutes it to the point of being just about an atmospheric piece.  

Kind of like the Rocketeer love theme *ducks*

Reminds me of Star Trek TV love music BTW @Tallguy

well it's nice ,but I prefer the original orchestral arrangements to ALL Mutter violin arrangements. Solo violin can sound a bit grating to me and I can't take it in large doses

So when this emerged via some live recording, it really didn't do anything for me. I didn't listen to it all since then, so I now have a chance to give it proper dues on an official recording.

Opinion incoming....

.. and this piece confirms that I cannot stand ASM's violin playing, and I think it takes what should be a structured concert piece and turns it just into a workout for her, with sprinklings of Helena's 'theme' (I'm struggling a bit to call that more of a motif) throughout.

The disappointing thing is that the early parts are promising, particularly when I hear bits that subtly have hints of Marion's theme. Then ASM just ruins it for me.

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

So when this emerged via some live recording, it really didn't do anything for me. I didn't listen to it all since then, so I now have a chance to give it proper dues on an official recording.

Opinion incoming....

Spoiler alert:

It still didn't

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

.. and this piece confirms that I cannot stand ASM's violin playing, and I think it takes what should be a structured concert piece and turns it just into a workout for her, with sprinklings of Helena's 'theme' (I'm struggling a bit to call that more of a motif) throughout.

it's almost like some of these pieces turned out to be good because JW wrote them despite the violin being in there

5 minutes ago, Signals said:

Spoiler alert:

It still didn't

Thanks for signaling this

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Opinion incoming....

The disappointing thing is that the early parts are promising, particularly when I hear bits that subtly have hints of Marion's theme. Then ASM just ruins it for me.

So ... what is it exactly that you can't stand about her playing?

Yeah it's not ASM personally, I just don't like violin when used in that way. It's sort of doing its own thing instead of joining in with the orchestra to state the theme.

But it veers towards what I've heard of JW's concert work, and I can't stand any of that either - just not my style of music.

I think most of the violin arrangements are incredible, but here it smothers the gorgeous orchestral writing. It’s actively distracting when I am trying to enjoy the stronger iterations of the melody. It doesn’t help that Williams seemingly removed the climax of the piece from the superior orchestral arrangement.

19 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

this piece confirms that I cannot stand ASM's violin playing

19 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

ASM just ruins it for me

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah it's not ASM personally

7 minutes ago, Jilal said:

And? Her performance ruins it for me, in the context of the instrument she's playing. There may be an element of how ASM specifically plays - I don't know.

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Then ASM just ruins it for me.

ASM ruins it, or Williams with what he has written?

I don't think ASM does anything on her own...

Unless, you mean with another violinist you would like the piece more...