Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Isolated Score Track

DangerMotif

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know nothing about these sort of technical matters, but how much extra work is need to do the isolated score?  It strikes me as an inexpensive feature that should be part of most releases.  Is it a perceived lack of audience interest that prevents it? 

It is not just technical.

I am thinking that one aspect in making this possible is that the musicians that performed the score for the film have to sign-off on this, as they are members of the musicians union--The American Federation of Musicians.  I'm betting that in order to do that, they would want to be financially compensed.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The AFM does not need to approve this whatsoever.  It's still music being used for its original intended purpose - syncing to the film.

It's only new soundtrack albums that will be sold (IE: promo albums are fine) that require them to be paid again.

I wondered how that worked thanks for clearing that up. 

8 hours ago, Cameron1138 said:

There's not an isolated score version of it, but we do have the complete recording sessions which is even better.

On CD, as an official release, remastered by Mike Matessino?

Presumably the second this is released, audio software experts will be ripping, slicing and dicing the score into a more listenable format.  Can someone here describe what would be the steps to take this 7.1 soundtrack and properly mix it to stereo.  How do you know it's how it is supposed to sound?

1 hour ago, TJH132 said:

Presumably the second this is released, audio software experts will be ripping, slicing and dicing the score into a more listenable format.  Can someone here describe what would be the steps to take this 7.1 soundtrack and properly mix it to stereo.  How do you know it's how it is supposed to sound?

This has some good instructions:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-mix-7-mono-channels-to-stereo/53391/3

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Apparently Handbrake when converting from surround sound to stereo does it properly automatically.

17 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Apparently Handbrake when converting from surround sound to stereo does it properly automatically.

Good to know as I use Handbrake too.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

You misread the topic.  The Blu Ray option is for an isolated sound effects track.  

Scores these days can hardly be differentiated from sound effects anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Andy said:

Jesus that’s a hot take. 

Have you guys seen the version of Superman where they removed Reeve, Kidder, Brando, Hackman.. and more?

I have a release of ALIEN where they remove Sigourney Weaver, the Xenomorph, and more. They’re completely different in their subtractive ways. 

I'm cracking up here... 😂

It's pretty sad for Phoebe Waller-Bridge that she was relegated to the "and more" bin.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Jesus that’s a hot take. 

Have you guys seen the version of Superman where they removed Reeve, Kidder, Brando, Hackman.. and more?

I have it, produced by Mike Matessino. Great stuff!

1 hour ago, Brando said:

Wonder how that would work for some of JW's scores.

Well for Star Wars they would have to drastically recut the footage and add back in everything that was cut. :lol:

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As long as they don't remove the cat, I'm fine with it ;)

"Jonesy" agrees...

image.gif

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well for Star Wars they would have to drastically recut the footage and add back in everything that was cut. :lol:

Well, yes, but actually no.

9 hours ago, Andy said:

I have a release of ALIEN where they remove Sigourney Weaver, the Xenomorph, and more. They’re completely different in their subtractive ways. 

That would be fascinating to watch, actually. Just rummaging through the Nostromo and taking in the scenery. I'd love that. :)

Pre-order of German versions has started (at JPC) - no details on bonus material yet.

Indiana Jones und das Rad des Schicksals (DVD) – jpc

DVD

Blu-ray

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray Steelbook [Edit: currently unavailable]

image.png

On 17/10/2023 at 12:28 PM, BB-8 said:

Pre-order of German versions has started (at JPC) - no details on bonus material yet.

Indiana Jones und das Rad des Schicksals (DVD) – jpc

DVD

Blu-ray

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray Steelbook [Edit: currently unavailable back in]

image.png

There's now an indication that the German Blu-ray release will also contain the "Score-only" version. So I've pre-ordered (DME traumatized).

image.png

Source: Indiana Jones und das Rad des Schicksals 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray + Blu-ray / Steelbook auf Ultra HD - Portofrei bei bücher.de (buecher.de)

Note: DVD version doesn't seem to have that feature.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

There's now an indication that the German Blu-ray release will also contain the "Score-only" version.

Yes, confirmed by the words "und mehr" — which has become the common vernacular in all languages for referring to isolated scores, and was originally coined by the intrepid reporter Chloe James.

As if we needed more reassurance, Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Jones-Destiny-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0CKTLD5L7/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1698097133&sr=8-2

Mentioned on back cover and description. It's sort of tempting to make this a Christmas present.... well done Disney for making me even considering purchasing an Indy movie on physical media.

Dunno whether the tech-specs have already been confirmed...(DVD does not contain the isolated score)

4K & Blu-ray

image.png

Source: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) - CeDe.com

Blu-ray

image.png

Source: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) - CeDe.com

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Dunno whether the tech-specs have already been confirmed...(DVD does not contain the isolated score)

4K & Blu-ray

image.png

Blu-ray

image.png

That's interesting... The blu-ray with the 4K package has Dolby Atmos whereas the lone blu-ray package has DTS 7.1. It's too bad that's not the case for Amazon US - the blu-ray with the 4K still has only DTS 7.1.

Where did you manage to find these disc specs?

44 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

That's interesting... The blu-ray with the 4K package has Dolby Atmos whereas the lone blu-ray package has DTS 7.1. It's too bad that's not the case for Amazon US - the blu-ray with the 4K still has only DTS 7.1.

Where did you manage to find these disc specs?

I've included the source above.

The Digital Bits article in the very first post of this thread already told us that the DVD won't have it, the Blu Ray will have it in 7.1 Dolby Digital, and the 4K disc will have it in 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos.

I quoted from that Digital Bits article in the 9th post of this thread

On 10/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, Jay said:

I would have a preferred a lossless PCM 2.0 stereo track for this, but it's nice that it's 7.1 DD on the Blu Ray and 7.1.4 Atmos on the 4KBD

U.S. Audio (for the score-only version of the movie): 4K Ultra HD – 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, Blu-ray – 7.1 Dolby Digital, DVD – N/A