Quartet Announces: HEIDI/ JANE EYRE (2CD)(John Williams) Remastered and Expanded

Amer

I have a very dodgy DVD of Jane Eyre purchased from Amazon many years ago. Are there any DVD releases of Heidi out there? I'd love to hear the score in context.

Yet another terrific podcast from the TLOJW team and nice having John Takis on board discussing this fantastic new release. So much incredible behind the scenes information that fans should revel and I loved the nugget HOOK preview in the end.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

Hope to find this under my Christmas tree, I’m waiting to hear the latest interview until after I get and listen to these scores.

Yeah, that is exactly how Santa works.  

On 16/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, QuartalHarmony said:

I will be quite happy to take them off her hands in the New Year.

It's still better than to take her off her feet. Or is it? ;)

Sorry, if it has been answered before, but, since I don't care for dialogue and narration I wanted to ask:

Does that portion of the cd feature any music that is NOT in the original motion picture score portion?

Well Jane Eyre is still fantastic. Switching back and forth between the Quartet and the newish digital release shows just how much even a crappy old master can be improved in competent hands, it all just sounds more natural. And then the alternates show how much better it could have sounded, it's really a big shame. I was thinking of swapping tracks or editing them together to get rid of some of the worse sections of the album but that's not going to happen, the mix is too different and Mike intentionally picked different takes with different tempos and instrument focuses, maybe even helped emphasise it with the mix. Oh well, it'll remain as it is in my library.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Nope.

Well...the song and the love theme, are exclusive of the album presentation (they are not part of the film score recordings but still...).

I liked Quartets previous layout better since those two end-tailed the film score. now if we want to listen to the song we have to skip several tracks.

Oh you're right of course. Those 2 tracks are not in the first sections of the CD.  And they have no narration over them in the album section.

But they were recorded separately from the rest of the score, of which there is is nothing in the album that isn't in the new main presentation (because Mike found the elements that they build the album from and included all of the score cues from it)

And of course Heidi's great too.

A quick breakdown:

• OST 01 Main Title and Overture
    • Score 01 Overture (Theme from 'Heidi')
  • OST 02 The Old Man and the Child
    • Score 13 Waiting with Grandfather, with a loop
  • OST 03 A Place of My Own
    • Score 03 To the Alm, with a loop
  • OST 04 The Alm
    • Score 11 Return to Dörfli 0:00-2:02
    • Score 04 Goat's Milk
  • OST 05 The Sleeping Child
    • Score 14 Separation 1:36-3:28
  • OST 06 Meditation
    • Score 06 Meditation Rock
  • OST 07 A Place of My Own (Heidi's Theme)
    • Song arrangement of the main theme with new lyrics
  • OST 08 Shadows
    • Score 15 The Farewell
  • OST 09 Reflections
    • Score 09 The Bedroom 0:44-1:55
    • Score 12 Montage
    • Score 07 Dinner Table 0:07-0:47
    • Score 05 At the Church 0:00-0:40
  • OST 10 A New Dimension
    • Score 02 Arrival in Dörfli 1:20-3:12
  • OST 11 The Nature of Things
    • Score 10 Library Talk, with loops
  • OST 12 Love Theme from 'Heidi'
    • Popish arrangement of the love theme
  • OST 13 The Miracle
    • Score 16 Klara Walks 1:22-3:51
  • OST 14 Finale and End Title
    • Score 01 Overture (Theme from 'Heidi') 1:18-2:21

I couldn't find Score 08 Stealing Rolls anywhere, unless maybe a tiny bit of it is used in Reflections to connect Bedroom to Montage?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I  Mike intentionally picked different takes with different tempos and instrument focuses,

Uh, I thought, those are just what the tapes had.

On 08/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, Jay said:

The two rolls we found were from the album session day, so agonizingly no additional film score cues, but at least we had alternate takes of three tracks and an extra little piece of source music.

Hmm so were the album-picked takes already removed from those rolls? Or redone in a later session?

For Jane Eyre, I thought the liner notes and what Mike said on the podcast were both pretty clear.  They only found 2 of the 9 rolls, and everything on those 2 rolls were takes NOT chosen for the album, hence why they all appear as bonus tracks and the entire album is from the same source.

For Heidi, your list is missing some info.  "Stealing Rolls" is in "Reflections", and "The Old Man and The Child" also contains some of "Return To Dörfli"

And now I'm thinking we should maybe discuss these 2 scores in 2 separatel threads?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Stealing Rolls" is in "Reflections", and "The Old Man and The Child" also contains some of "Return To Dörfli"

Yeah I can't find them

• 2 weeks later...

My colleague has returned from Spain and pressed fresh copies of Heidi/Jane Eyre and The Long Goodbye into my trembling, expectant hands. I'd only just started to get over the excitement of Hook, too.

Thoughts on Heidi? Certainly better than the mid-90s LXE release that I've had for nearly thirty years but not listened to much. Am I right in gleaning from earlier threads that the LXE was sourced from the narrated album but with the narration removed, plus suffered from some looping of the music to fit the narration? It's a good fun score even though, like so many releases from back then, it's very short indeed and many tracks leave me wanting more. Mind you, my loss is @Thor's gain in that area, I'm sure.

Jane Eyre, though, is really good. This is the first release of it I've had, so it's a new discovery for me. What a lovely main theme. I can see why it seems to be one of JW's favourites.

Mark

My goodness, that glorious Jim Titus artwork for Heidi alone has me wondering if I should pick this up. I know I don't need it (nor can I especially afford it), and I'm not the biggest fan of JW's pre-Jaws style (I didn't especially warm to the music on the Disaster Movie Collection), but that artwork is so beautiful! 

Jim Titus should be the exclusive art designer for all JW's expansions... In face, he should design every single release by best-selling, prolific composers. More of this:

Untitled-7.png

Less of this:

Untitled-6.png

11 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You should pick this up. His disaster scores are more dated. Jane Eyre in particular is timeless. It is very much related to later Williams scores you probably love. Do you like Prisoner of Azkaban and/or the "Across the Stars" love theme from Attack of the Clones? Then you will ADORE Jane Eyre. It is an utter masterpiece. A shame more of it couldn't be found but it is still a fantastic album and will 100% sound like the John Williams you already know and love, I promise.

Yavar

And IIRC it was recorded in the same studio as A New Hope, Empire, and Superman the Movie, so the acoustics will be somewhat in line with those scores as well (which has less of an influence, but still an influence nontheless IMHO)

Anybody else’s booklet have missing and duplicated pages?

That Angela’s Ashes theme you’re referring to is pure Holst, as is a lot of Jane Eyre. It’s the use of the Aeolian mode, especially when you keep to a perfect cadence at the end of a phrase creating a minor dominant resolving to a minor tonic. 

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

there is a track or theme from angelas ashes that reminisces something jane eyre

I'd like to hear that - can you give track number and timestamp of both please?

On 11/1/2024 at 1:20 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Do you like Prisoner of Azkaban and/or the "Across the Stars" love theme from Attack of the Clones? Then you will ADORE Jane Eyre.

YES!  First time I listened to Jane Eyre it conjured up dark but romantic feelings of creeping around Hogwarts, but better.  I can’t believe that it was written 30 years before Harry Potter.  It’s so fresh and timeless. 

7 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I'd like to hear that - can you give track number and timestamp of both please?

1st minute of Angelas' Prayer.

Fair play to Quartet, their shipping was incredibly quick and reasonably priced too - shipped out within 3 days of the order and delivered to the UK within 7 working days. 

Heidi is lovely - sounds fantastic and is a joy.  Jane Eyre I'm less convinced by - I've always loved the music, and this was one missing from my physical CD collection, but I think the sound quality is patchy. 

Well, Mike M. said that for Jane Eyre, all they had was the "hot" album master with baked-in distortion (not counting the two reels they found with alternate takes of a few cues, and one unreleased source cue, which sound much better).

Jane Eyre is my favorite Williams score so it's a bummer no other material was found to do something better, but it's still the best this masterpiece of a score has ever sounded on album.

Yavar

I have to say that I prefer the sound of the Silva release of Jane Eyre. The alternates are a great find and much welcomed. Especially the short source piece is fantastic and it's a pity it has to end so soon.

Heidi however sounds fantastic and better than the previous release that I own. All together it is a great release though. Hopefully more television work will be released in the future. 

17 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well, Mike M. said that for Jane Eyre, all they had was the "hot" album master with baked-in distortion (not counting the two reels they found with alternate takes of a few cues, and one unreleased source cue, which sound much better).

Jane Eyre is my favorite Williams score so it's a bummer no other material was found to do something better, but it's still the best this masterpiece of a score has ever sounded on album.

Yavar

Yes, I read Mike's notes in the "About this release" section of the liner notes, though I don't recall him mentioning there anything about any baked-in distortion, just that they'd used the 1971 1/4" master. Maybe he talks about the quality (and issues associated with it) of the original master tapes elsewhere.

I have the La-La Land Records release from 2012 (sadly I only have the digital files and not the original CD on my shelf!) and to me that pretty much sounds identical, even with Doug Schwartz at the helm rather than Mike M.

It's a lovely score - and even with the technical limitations (which are strange considering it was Anvil Studios with Eric Tomlinson at the desk) it's a delight.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started listening to Jane Eyre. I will never understand how they got away with such crappy quality in 1970. They really, really could have done more. Why hire JW if this is your sound budget?

Trying to give another listen to the OST, I realized that it contains unbearable dialogues. :nono:

Has anyone made a breakdown of which cues from the score are needed to reproduce the OST?

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Has anyone made a breakdown of which cues from the score are needed to reproduce the OST?

Yeah.  Scroll up.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah.  Scroll up.

First, I scrolled up too fast, so now I have a headache, and then, finally, it needs practically every cue from the score. So finally, I'll isten to the whole score! :P