If I was Steven Spielberg I would immediately commission JW to write dozens upon dozens of varying themes & suites to be used when, well, ya know…

Mr. Gitz

I honestly lose sleep over the terrifying prospect that one day we will have heard our last John Williams composed piece of music. I remember worrying that he maybe wouldn’t make it through the prequel SW trilogies! The prequels lol! That was almost 20 years ago! 

This is why if I was a billionaire Hollywood exec, like a certain Senior Spielberg-O, I would hire John to write just a shit load of random themes and suites. Like “Ok. Write me a love theme, write me a superhero theme, write me a thriller motif, write an epic action sequence” etc. Sure it’s not ideal but it would at least bank some John music for future projects.

That way we could have loads of Williams penned music that another composer can come in and adapt. Someone like, oh I don’t know, maybe….. Hans Zimmer?

Ha! Gotcha!  

But honestly it shocks me this doesn’t happen more. If I’m making a movie the first call I make is to JW’s representatives to ask if he’d compose just some themes for use in my movie. That’s be so much easier & less time consuming than a full score. 

I still don’t know how Marvel didn’t throw the brinks truck at John for a Captain America score/theme. No offence to Alan Silvestri, but damn that movie needed “a banger” as the kids these days say. That was the one superhero score that DEMANDED a generational theme. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Like “Ok. Write me a love theme, write me a superhero theme, write me a thriller motif, write an epic action sequence” etc. Sure it’s not ideal but it would at least bank some John music for future projects

There have been multiple occasions when the forum has debated whether we're hearing Williams music in a trailer or promo and it's turned out to be library music, like this one.

I agree with GerateWohl - let the man enjoy a retirement and use some good library music or just another decent composer when you need a nice honest Williams-esque track.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

He is not a music factory. He is a human being. 

Given how some blatantly felt let down when Fabelmans turned out to be a 20 minute piano piece, and not a 3-hour masterpiece, I think some here still think of him as a music factory.

43 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

let the man enjoy a retirement

What retirement? He’s just walked back his retirement plans. :)

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's also worth noting that even if there wasn't a single more note from Williams from this day on, there is still a LOT of unreleased music in his back catalogue to discover and hopefully unearth at some point, especially the television stuff. Enough to last a lifetime.

Ah, you wouldn’t be interested in all those unreleased scores, Thor. You already have so many JW scores, and you haven’t been interested in all the unreleased music for his scores anyway, have you? ;)

I'm imagining Williams shackled to his piano here, turning out page after page to satisfy us...

IMG_3509.jpeg

I’ll be grateful for every piece of music The Maestro will ever compose, let it be a concerto, a film score, a theme to a D+ TV show or an arrangement of one of his existing themes. 
Whatever he’s writing, is a gift to mankind and his fans, he’s not just doing it because he’s paid to do it, but because to him music is like breathing oxygen. He can’t live without it.
As he once wrote to me: Music brings a lifelong joy. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's also worth noting that even if there wasn't a single more note from Williams from this day on, there is still a LOT of unreleased music in his back catalogue to discover and hopefully unearth at some point, especially the television stuff. Enough to last a lifetime.

And when will we ever get a recording of his symphony?

If I were Steven Spielberg, I would consider a sequel movie project involving John Williams, such as 'Schindler's List 2', or 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind 2: Alien Karaoke Night'.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Laugh if you wish, but I’ve already been interviewed for Williams’ obituary by a couple of major newspapers. (This was years ago, so there’s no new prognosticating involved. Just how these outlets operate. It’s still jarring to get the call.) 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Just imagine Spielberg having a brillant idea for an E.T. sequel! I get wet imagining 2024 Williams writing an E.T. sequel score!

Of course the movie will be shite.

I don't think Spielberg would ever risk tainting it with a sequel. He considers it a "perfect" movie. Let it exist on its own as such.

This commercial? It's charming, and helped to keep E.T. in the public consciousness.

The only blight on E.T. is the abysmal Atari video game. lol

IMG_3510.jpeg

6 hours ago, JTW said:

@Bespin@EdmilsonJoking with the death of 6 million Jews is not elegant, and that’s putting it mildly. 
I know, you were “just” joking with the title and “the revenge of Amon Göth”. I get it. Still, I’m asking you very nicely to please don’t. Thank you. 

You're right, that was in poor taste, that and the joke about Amistad (another movie that dealt with another real life tragedy). I got rid of the post.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Just imagine Spielberg having a brillant idea for an E.T. sequel! I get wet imagining 2024 Williams writing an E.T. sequel score!

Of course the movie will be shite.

I remember Spielberg revealing in an interview that he has a scene for a Jaws sequel that he will never tell anyone because he doesn't want it out there, but he fantasizes about it all the time and has to keep talking himself out of it. 

Didn't Spielberg had an idea for an ET sequel that was too dark and disturbing, so he shelved it? Well, these days people like dark and disturbing movies, even Spielberg himself (A.I., War of the World, etc)!

So I guess it's time for a return of E.T. 2: Nocturnal Fears!

I believe the Maestro is still writing music every day, or at least as much as he can. How much more do want from him? He’s only a Superman after all.

Spielberg no but this idea could work for Lucasfilm, if Williams is interested in that his musical sound and legacy perdures in Starwars for a long time.

Lucasfilm could commision him to make character themes for uses in future films or series....

If i was JW, i would do it just for fun so when i die they find the sketches and they feel compelled to use them and so my family has a lot of income for the future....

I am a little surprised Helena's theme hasn't gotten any mention yet, since it could be argued as potentially being an example of JW writing a theme based on description instead of what's depicted in the film. Granted, it could just simply be what Mangold wanted the sound to be, yet it is fairly frequent for the discrepancy to be noticed by folks here (and even elsewhere, like the Filmtracks review).

The best thing would be what JW has been doing for years now and probably is doing right now, to arrange his classic themes for violin and orchestra. He's playing with his old melodies, perfecting them, turns them into classical music, it's really marvellous. If he keeps up doing it and makes one or more albums with ASM, it would be the best way to end his unparalleled career. 

Not necessarily. Old people are night owls. 

And I meant it figuratively. 

19 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, it wouldn't work that way.

In the meantime I believe, that Williams doesn't work for the money, but for the fun of it. You could offer him billions of dollars, but he might respond "Sorry, but I rather go golfing today." and he will do so. He doesn't have to proof anything to anyone anymore.

As we all know, he loves working, but in the meantime he just works with people he knows and loves.

And I would say, he has earned that freedom to do whatever he likes.

He is not a music factory. He is a human being. 

Let us just be grateful for what we got and eventually still get.

I was joking. 

I thought the Hans Zimmer part would’ve clued some of you in. 

I was serious in that I’m shocked he doesn’t get calls(or maybe he does?) to just theme work for certain movies ala the Han Solo movie or the Obi Wan show.

But no. Hiring John Williams to write music to movies not yet made is not something that should happen. 

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I remember Spielberg revealing in an interview that he has a scene for a Jaws sequel that he will never tell anyone because he doesn't want it out there, but he fantasizes about it all the time and has to keep talking himself out of it. 

I remember hearing someone once, I can’t remember where, claim that they knew what his sequel idea was. I *think* it might’ve been Richard Dreyfuss. 

Anyways, It wasn’t a sequel at all but a prequel & it was about Quint on the Indianapolis. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Anyways, It wasn’t a sequel at all but a prequel & it was about Quint on the Indianapolis. 

Exactly. I read about that in a book about Jaws. So, it cannot really be a secret. But maybe apart from that sketch there was another idea?

Anyway, I wouldn't say, that Spielberg really has a good record concerning sequels (I wouldn't necessarily call the Indiana Jones movies after Raiders sequels as the stories hardly depend on eachother, but even if we do...).

I don’t think that the Jaws shtick can be used effectively anymore. None of the sequels could pull it off what the first film did, and Part 2 even had JW returning with an even better score. I think that this was a one-trick pony that should be left alone. Not even Spielberg, especially the current one could top or even reach the level of excellence and raw inventiveness of Jaws. 

17 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I am a little surprised Helena's theme hasn't gotten any mention yet, since it could be argued as potentially being an example of JW writing a theme based on description instead of what's depicted in the film. Granted, it could just simply be what Mangold wanted the sound to be, yet it is fairly frequent for the discrepancy to be noticed by folks here (and even elsewhere, like the Filmtracks review).

As much as I love the theme and am thankful that it exists, it really doesn't suit the character. Mangold even expressed his concern that it was perhaps too lush and romantic.

I think Williams had an idealized version of Helena in his head, which he's described as being a throwback to the femme fatales of glamorous old Hollywood, and he ran with that idea.

16 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

On 3/1/2024 at 8:59 PM, mrbellamy said:

According to Jaws lore, a movie about the sinking of the Indianapolis was first pitched as an idea for 'Jaws 2' by Howard Sackler, who did an uncredited rewrite of the script for 'Jaws' and conceived the famous monologue that gave Quint his motivation and hatred of sharks...

As for this mystery scene that Spielberg likes to mention in interviews and tantalize us with, I wish I knew what it was!

12 hours ago, JTW said:

I don’t think that the Jaws shtick can be used effectively anymore. None of the sequels could pull it off what the first film did, and Part 2 even had JW returning with an even better score. I think that this was a one-trick pony that should be left alone. Not even Spielberg, especially the current one could top or even reach the level of excellence and raw inventiveness of Jaws. 

Exactly(well everything but the Jaws 2 score being better).

Jaws is such lightning in a bottle that a sequel would never work. Jaws works so damn well because that animatronic Shark broke down. 

Anyone who wants a powerful lesson in not showing what’s happening need only watch the opening attack. That scene is so much more horrific because of what we don’t see. We are imagining it and it’s…yikes. 

(Forgive the off topic digression)

You can get away with not showing the shark on the first movie. But a sequel, you’d have to show it more. Otherwise the audience would be all “Oh they are doing the whole ‘don’t show the shark thing again’ “. 

That and….CGI isn’t very scary. I honestly think older movies where they used optical printing, like Poltergeist or Exorcist, there’s something about the ghost effects that work better. CGI is too clean. Too bright. Those old effects have this whispy unnatural quality to them. Plus now no one really wonders “How did they do that?”. They know. “CGI”. Those older movies the process is much more abstract for people

it reminds me of the Ghostbusters movies. The ghosts in the 2016 reboot weren’t scary. They looked like reused scooby doo effects. The first two have much more effective ghosts. It’s a hard thing to get right in movies today. 

15 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

That and….CGI isn’t very scary.

If for instance this scene in 'Jaws 2' where Chief Brody's son is pulled up on the boat just before the shark lunges past was done in CGI, you might get a more realistic-looking shark, but it would lose the sense of real danger that's present by having that huge mechanical beast nearly hitting the actor.

It's easy to make fun of the way the mouth folds when hydraulically opened (it's been nicknamed the "soft taco shark" by fans), but this is an impressively coordinated stunt.

On 05/01/2024 at 12:04 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

but this is an impressively coordinated stunt.

It wasn't entirely coordinated. I don't know if they intended for the shark to always get that close, but in the Making of Jaws 2 book (which is a fascinating read if you like the movie), one of the actors who plays the boy who pulls Mike in tells a story how when this was filmed, he noticed the shark was going more fast than he realize or he was told, he didn't specify, and it seemed to be coming directly at them, and a wire snapped that was attached to the mast of the sailboat and that's why the snout contorts at the top.

37 minutes ago, Brando said:

and a wire snapped that was attached to the mast of the sailboat and that's why the snout contorts at the top.

Interesting! I slowed down the shot and saw the wire. But it's a shame that happened, as the awkward appearance of the shark takes your attention away somewhat from a thrilling moment. But we won't blame Bob Mattey this time!